PC gaming.
  • Stupid pc gaming. I found that forza motorsport 6 apex is a free download on pc. that will do i thought to myself. then i try to go onto MS store to download it and get the "in built account cant open a browser, because we are MS and we are wankers" message.

So i fix that, go to the MS store and get a new error. Your not running the fall update of win 10. Fuck sake now need to update Win 10.

Theres a reason i prefer console gaming and thats becuase i just put the disk in and away you go.
  • Apart from the firmware updates.....
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Right, i have a gtx 950 not a gtx 960. I have £140 in cex vouchers and would get £60 in vouchers for my gtx 950. That would give me £200 in vouchers. if i was to upgrade my card, would i be better off with a 1060 gtx 3gb or 6gb? the 1060 gtx 6gb would cost me £125 cash onto of my vouchers. i was thinking a 1060 due to its sweet spot of price/performance. https://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/best-graphics-cards-1291458

Yeah a 1060 should do you pretty well, aim for £200-£220 for the 3GB model, and £250 for the 6GB I guess. The card has been out for a while now though, so I wouldn't like to recommend spending a whole lot for it. You'll inevitably be getting a little ripped off though due to the jacked up prices.

I would like to be able to recommend an AMD card as another alternative, but as they are a bit more proficient at mining they're even more of a ripoff.

A 1060 should net you Xbox One X level graphical performance anywho, which should be the standard now for a few years until the next console gen.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Fuck sake now need to update Win 10. Theres a reason i prefer console gaming and thats becuase i just put the disk in and away you go.

Well the Windows store has always been utter shite. PC gaming could be a lot more straightforward I'd venture, without the mess of so many different redistributables and operating system tangles.
  • Gurt, thanks for the graphics card advise.

Updated to win10 fall edition, went to MS store to download forza 6 apex and its blocked by company policy (im on a standalone machine). feck they dont make it easy do they?
  • Consoles are nearly as bad these days. Xbone updates are horrendous and frequent, and now you have to install the bastard from the disk anyway as well as the usual day one as-big-as-the-game patch. Takes half a day from the time you insert the bloody disk.
  • The speed of your internet connection has become one of the biggest bottlenecks when using any kind of computer these days it seems.
  • I went to download Gears 4 on PC after doing the Xbox pass thing and it's 125 gigs.
  • Ha ha ha what? That's insane.
  • I know. And it chucked an error halfway through and I had to start again. Think it's still going but I haven't checked for a couple of days.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The 1060 is lovely, of course I have the slightly less good laptop variant but there's nothing I've had so far that its struggled with, as long as you're not looking for ultra on every single game.
  • My 980Ti means I can finally play Crysis on Ultra.
  • Fucking Microsoft sons of bitches. The fall creator update has hosed my machine. Runs like a dog. Sigh. I fucking hate win 10 with a passion. I do not want to spend my weekend fixing my pc. cunts.
  • Managed to revenue back to my previous version of windows, all is well again. Now to butcher the win update process so it never works again.
  • Oh yeah, I feel I should point out that the 3GB variant of the 1060 is actually a bit cut down from the 6GB one (fewer CUDA cores and stuff I think), so apart from the lesser VRAM buffer, it will perform just a little worse generally. Not awful by any means, just worth considering when weighing up the prices.

It's a dumb thing really, Nvidia should have differentiated them in the naming somehow.
  • I really hope this crypto bubble bursts soon. I could do with a GPU upgrade. My 980 is a good card but I'm increasingly putting more and more demand on it in my workflow.
    Switched to redshift for you rendering out of Max and C4D. I have also put a bit of effort in this weekend to using the C4D/After Effects cross over features, I'm loving the results but it could do with a speed boost if I am going to regularly use it for project work.
  • At the moment I have an EVGA card which I understand to be the/one of the best manufacturers. Is this actually the case and if so are there others at the same level?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is it only Nvidia cards that are being used for this cryptocurrency bullshit, or AMD as well?
  • Not sure but I have to have Geforce cards for the render software I am using.
    I would assume any card would work for mining.
  • Kow wrote:
    Is it only Nvidia cards that are being used for this cryptocurrency bullshit, or AMD as well?

Used to be just the RX 470/570 480/580, then the 1070, and 1060, now it's kind of all of them. Even those that aren't the most efficient miners have risen in price due to the general shortage and the 'goldrush'. That coupled with crazy demand for DDR4 memory, and probable price fixing from those manufacturers has led to a greater cost for the consumer. Shit totally hit the fan basically. 20% price hike overall pretty much. With certain GPUs going through the roof, particularly in the midrange, which was the best value... :(
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah well, I'll hold off until it all crashes, which shouldn't be too long hopefully.
  • At the moment I have an EVGA card which I understand to be the/one of the best manufacturers. Is this actually the case and if so are there others at the same level?

They are one of the better ones for sure. Key things are the RMA service, there's a guest RMA of sorts for used cards from the original manufacturing date, though I gather that policy might be changing to preempt all the pissing miner returns of frazzled cards, fucking great. They have locations in the EU and UK to send and receive cards, many of the cheaper manufacturers are only based in Taiwan or somewhere, less than ideal. And AFAIK they are one of the only to be cool with you unscrewing the heatsink to replace the thermal paste or fit an aftermarket cooler on there, kinda crucial IMO.
  • I hope this currency crashes
    plane_sexybeast.png
  • Cheers Gurt
    I remember the guys who built my PC explaining something about RMA and the EVGA card being worth the extra 20 quid because of it. I was very much a noob at the time though, still no expert.
  • I’d go with the 6gb as well because it’s the slightly faster card and has more memory. I mentioned games using more than 3gb for 1080 and yesterday I updated Kingdom Come Deliverance. It now has a high texture pack which is for cards with 6gb or more.

Not essential but something I can’t take advantage of.
  • Aye, tbh I would be recommending the 6GB one all day if it wasn't for the current shortage, and the need to really save some pennies.
  • Crypto’s on another big downturn at the mo, if it keeps going then mining profits are gonna diminish significantly you’d think. Coupled with a next gen of card from Nvidia then things could look a bit brighter come summer.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Oh.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The only thing that is going to drive down price is a massive increase in production, and even then, like cars on a new motorway, this can't solve the undermining problem. 

We're living in an age where computing power - and not just for crypro, is going to be the new oil.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!