PC gaming.
  • Been playing some Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, kind of left it midway through a while back. Pretty good fun, quite silly.

I found a couple of ways to make it really look great, one is to make the FOV much wider with Flawless Widescreen. By default the camera feels waaay to zoomed in an claustrophobic, really kind of unpleasant actually. The FW app gives you a slider for FOV, and you can use Num - and + to adjust it while playing.

Another tip you can do is use DSR with Nvidia cards (AMD has something equivalent) in the control panel, I set it to 2x native resolution with ~40% smoothness, this allows you to select the resolution in Windows which makes it think your display is double the res. For SoM this is great as the built in antialising is crap, just FXAA. There is an ingame internal resolution slider, but the DSR method seems to work much better and perform better. It will look pretty good like this, but then I add the sharpness filter with Alt+F3, about 35%. This makes the game look just stunning, pin sharp and no aliasing shimmering artifacts. About as good as it can look on my 1080p display, probably similar to running it at a higher resolution actually. When I change my desktop resolution change back and forth between 1080p and 2x I need to set the 144Hz refresh each time, as Win 10 defaults to 60Hz, a bit annoying.

With higher resolutions like 4K this probably isn't really necessary tbf, but I like the flexibility to oversample like a nutter for awesome image clarity, or max out performance for my 144Hz refresh rate.

I do the same trick above with Skyrim SE too, looks fucking perfect.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I just ended up going for the AOC one I posted a few pages back. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Aye that should do fine. It's easy enough to upgrade and sell later on if you need to anyway, monitors should keep a decent bit of value and if you got a good deal then even better.

Has it arrived yet? Play some Dirt Rally at 60Hz then try out 144Hz with adaptive sync to really see the difference ;) Even in the desktop moving the mouse and windows around you'll really see the improvement.
  • Makes my soul hurt to see all the options in Control greyed our, I am officially dated
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Worth a reminder that the ubisoft uplay+ thing starts from Tuesday, with a month free trial.

I think this free trial thing might only be available in September. Suspiciously they’ve removed Anno 1800 from the available games, “technical issues” yeah right.

iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fuck Ubisoft and their Uplay shite. I need a platform for just one publisher like I need something I don't need.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny (and some other stuff) on Humble for 4 dollars. Two solid, if very self serious, rpgs there.
  • Kow wrote:
    Fuck Ubisoft and their Uplay shite. I need a platform for just one publisher like I need something I don't need.
    Fortunately, for me, I have fuck all interest in their titles.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's also that.
  • Kow wrote:
    Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny (and some other stuff) on Humble for 4 dollars. Two solid, if very self serious, rpgs there.
    Hmm. I do want Tyranny.
  • Ugh, the latest W10 updates seem to have broken Nvidia Optimus for me. Optimus now erratically switches between igpu and dgpu when you least expect it sometimes crashing the system. Thanks Microsoft! I suspect it's also erratically switching between outputting to screen1 and screen2 although I haven't tested this in a multi monitor setup.

The only current fix is forcing W10 to use only one GPU thus effectively disabling Optimus. Not handy if you're a mobile laptop user.

Get your fucking act together MS! We don't want to be your alpha and beta testers unless we've applied. Focus on stability first, ffs!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Splashed out on peripherals recently. New monitor, keyboard and mouse. They were all on offer bar the keyboard which was a refurb (£55 instead of £110)

Happy with my wee omni-purpose corner now

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/89468138059481088/619510747629879298/image0.jpg
  • How are you liking the new monitor?
  • It's real good, can't really notice any issues with the colour stuff so far, seems legit to me !
  • Tempy with all the hobbies.
  • Yeah modern TN panels are supposed to be pretty damn good. Have you checked it's running at 144Hz? Just because I think Windows will sometimes default to 60. In the advanced display settings screen in settings it should show you what refresh rate it's set to, and you can open the properties to change it if needed. And I think you might have to enable adaptive sync in the Nvidia control panel to get that working?

It should be immediately noticeable when moving the mouse cursor and scrolling and stuff, but fire up something like Doom or Dirt Rally to really test it out. With adaptive sync you generally want to disable in game vsync, and if the game doesn't have a built in frame limiter then you want to use Rivatuner and just set the framerate limit to 142 to keep it from going over the screen's refresh rate. Oh and enable the new ultra low latency mode in the control panel too. All that will give you a silky smooth tear-free super responsive kickass experience. :)
  • I was initially disappointed in it until I realised the 144hz had reset after a PC restart. It now looks a charm.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Which keyboard is it? Looks the same as mine
  • Which keyboard is it? Looks the same as mine
    Which keyboard is it? Looks the same as mine

What... has... happened to you?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Corsair K70

better than mine. uncle is my new best friend now.
  • Types like pure sex
  • Humble has dropped...

Slay The Spire
    Squad
    State of Mind 

up for grabs.

TBH, a good month, so I nabbed, gauc 2, mothergunship, distance and god's trigger for myself.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Is slay the spire any good?
    Squad looks interesting in a pubg kindof way.
  • Ok, slay the spire as it is the B & B goty game of '18 and '19.
  • lol. I couldn't believe you asked that question.
  • Heh, I swear I've never been into the spire thread!
    I usualy ignore threads of games I don't own, even the mega popular ones.
  • Damn, Hunk just got STS because I looked in thread first, then as soon as I went elsewhere, notifications popped up and I had Djornson asking too!

Apologies. 

Any other humble folks out there who already have STS?
  • With Yoss a distant third in the running.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic Yoss
  • Had a quick crack at Mothergunship. Some cool ideas in there, we'll see if it has legs. Certainly doesn't fuck around. Dropped straight in, and story (as much as there is) is rudimentary and all to just give minimum impetus to shoot more stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!