PC gaming.
  • Game pass has been good for me so far.  Lonely Mountain, Ori, Outer Worlds, Pedro (bit shit), Ape Out (bit shit), Wolf Youngblood, Outer Worlds and then Savage Planet the other day... Sheesh, that’s before we get to Steam and Epic and whatnot.  It’s ace built it doesn’t half spike my FOMO.
    Have you tried TF2 yet? If not, it's a right of passage, and fee. I recommend Payload mode first.

Nope but now i will...  
    I had the first 30 mins of HL Alyx on Sunday night and it’s fucking astonishing but I’m not sure the quest and it’s controllers are up to the task.  I’m srsly considering not playing it and waiting for INdex stuff to become available again?  Is it that much better on there than a quest and cable???
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    What specifically about the tethered Quest and it's controllers isn't up to the task? Oh, and good morning! :)
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Good morning to you too, handsome.
    What I was trying to get at was that I’m still feeling pulled out of the experience due to the limitations of the headset (resolution, I guess) and then the control method. Can’t do anything about the not walking about bit and although the Quest controllers are generally fine, here they really really show up the lack of decent finger and grabbing tracking. It seems from the little I’ve played to be pretty intrinsic to the game and I wasn’t sure how much better the Index was, never having played with one? I almost fee
    Like I’m spoiling the game by not using the Index. Perhaps overthinking it though?

Those wooden floor look so good though. So grimey.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Flora's back at work now, which means she's taking the PC because she doesn't have her own laptop. In the great scheme of things this is piss tier but I was getting into a groove of apex / Warzone / The Division 2.
  • I didn't find the quest controllers restrictive, I thought the grabbing was fine. The resolution didn't help but I found the setting strong enough to overcome that. I'd love to see it on a better headset though, just to compare
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Flora's back at work now, which means she's taking the PC because she doesn't have her own laptop. In the great scheme of things this is piss tier but I was getting into a groove of apex / Warzone / The Division 2.

Dual screen it and have headphones in as you game.
  • The Quest controllers are nearly as good by all accounts, for the basic mechanics. I really enjoy the freedom of not having to hold the Index ones though, it feels much more natural, although Hair has a mod for the Quest ones. VR is deffo heading full finger but few games right now utilise it well.

The Index is sort of more than the sum of it's parts and was designed to keep you immersed better and for longer. The clarity is pretty amazing but it's by no means the only thing. Fov makes a huge difference, as does comfort. The sound too is amazeballs and there's a much higher refresh rate on the panels. The clarity of the image towards the peripheral is also a big deal. It's not quite clear from edge to edge but it's getting there. That means you don't directly have to stare at something in order for it to be sharp. The screen door has more or less gone and that is a biggie for me coming off the Vive.

The hmd is nicely weighted and I don't notice the wire half as much as the Vive (it never actually tugs on the hmd itself), and Alyx helps matters a lot because of it's less physical grabbity glove solution. Having said that wireless is ace. The good news on wireless is it's possible when the faster wireless standards are introduced next year, and there'll no doubt be an adapter for the Index that fits in the Frunk (they left a usb space at the front so new hardware can be attached). The great thing about the Valve approach is you can mix and match your hardware, so if you fancy a Pimax headset you can buy one and use your current basestations and controllers. Any thing that uses Valve tracking can be swapped about, so you could use a Vive pro headset and Pimax controllers, say.

Having said all that people seem pretty happy with the Quest when it comes to Alyx. I adore my Index but £1000 is a lot of money. It'll be good for a few years though and you'll only need the hmd part for future upgrades, but I wouldn't not play Alyx. I think the current wait time is around 5 weeks if you really want one. You provisionally order it on Steam and you'll be put in a queue, they email you when it's available and you have a week to make your decision and pay before they offer it to someone else.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I'm starting to like this guy.

• Here's a breakdown of all the various Alyx setups.

More GPU based than hmd. Although he loves the Index controllers for Alyx.
  • Cheers SG. I may just leave it for now until I’ve....
    Nope. Probably gonna cave.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Still feel the biggest niggles currently are needing base stations and cables. Even if I had an Index, trying to remain rooted when everything your senses are telling you to do is move, pulls me out of the game more than FOV or resolutions. Other more sedate games would probably be fine though. Pays yer £1000...

New 1700mbps Wi-Fi router has arrived. To the Batcave!
  • You can move fine! I don't quite know what Valve have done but the cable is much improved over the Vive. The only time you notice it is when you stand on it but that's fairly rare. Basestations just plug in like a tiny lamp and you can put them on bookshelves etc, as long as they're fairly high. Nearly every VR journo/youtuber will tell you the Index is their daily driver when they have a choice.

No, the biggest problem is you can't just play anywhere, you have to play within the confines of a dedicated space. I'd love to just play something in a garden with a massive area. That's not even going to happen when Index goes wireless unless you have a beast of a wifi signal.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Feel we've been here before but are the base stations wired? As for journos, that's their job and convincing your partner to run wires or drill holes for transmitters so you can check out of reality seems a hard sell for many.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    And fuck wires generally.

Edit: Bad day, ignore me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And fuck wires generally. Edit: Bad day, ignore me.

Tell that to @monkey
  • Feel we've been here before but are the base stations wired?

They're wired like a lamp is wired and needs a power point. They actually are a lamp and don't need wifi, they just emit.
  • Bit of a cross post but for anyone with the specs the beta RTX Minecraft is just lovely.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What are the specs? I guess my 970 won't cut it.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Still feel the biggest niggles currently are needing base stations and cables. Even if I had an Index, trying to remain rooted when everything your senses are telling you to do is move, pulls me out of the game more than FOV or resolutions. Other more sedate games would probably be fine though. Pays yer £1000... New 1700mbps Wi-Fi router has arrived. To the Batcave!

How have you found the new router?

Are you getting anywhere near the advertised speeds over wi-fi?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Will be doing a proper test today, once the FNF hangover has eased.
  • Kow wrote:
    What are the specs? I guess my 970 won't cut it.

RTX or possibly an 1080ti. I think DS has a 1080ti and he's running it ok. DLSS is finally doing what it initially promised and it's great.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't think I'll be seeing a new pc for a few years now.
  • Bit of a cross post but for anyone with the specs the beta RTX Minecraft is just lovely.
    Is it free?
  • The beta is, yeah. Opt in on Xbox Insider Hub app on Windows. You can get a free Windows version if you bought the Java before Oct 2018. If you bought the Java version after then go to Installations on the java launcher and tick the Snapshots button. Launch the latest Snapshot version but make sure you've downloaded the RTX specific maps. They're free. It won't just work on your regular save file - you need the maps.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Still feel the biggest niggles currently are needing base stations and cables. Even if I had an Index, trying to remain rooted when everything your senses are telling you to do is move, pulls me out of the game more than FOV or resolutions. Other more sedate games would probably be fine though. Pays yer £1000... New 1700mbps Wi-Fi router has arrived. To the Batcave!
    How have you found the new router? Are you getting anywhere near the advertised speeds over wi-fi?

Even with the new router the Quest Wi-Fi settings were still showing 866mbps - turns out that's the fastest it can go! Still, the latest Virtual Desktop update is buttery smooth with motion, but still a tiny bit of lag.

Personally happy with this trade off.  

1. Launch 'Virtual Desktop' in the headset. 
    2. Select 'Run Steam VR'.
    4. Walk around like you own the place.
  • DLSS 2.0 is quite a thing.

• b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It really is. It was Tech Chap’s video made me revisit it. Makes control run really well with all RT on, on my laptop.
  • I like how it can upscale not only competently, but actually make the upscaled image sharper than native.
  • Epic game store might be back working for me. I love how flakey it is.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    It really is. It was Tech Chap’s video made me revisit it. Makes control run really well with all RT on, on my laptop.

I never payed attention to the DLSS stuff,  it makes such a difference in Battlefield V.   Wow!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!