PC gaming.
  • Does sound like the PSU fan. If the sound rises in pitch/beat frequency as you turn the PC on it's probably the fan getting up to speed. Either going to be a bearing issue or some kind of slight obstruction. Definitely worth checking on.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Ah dang it. This is going to be a whole thing, isn't it?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • my daughter has requested to join the pc master race for her birthday.
    fortunately, for her pc gaming is about roblox and minecraft rather than top end 4k vr AAA gaming, so we'll be heading right down the budget route. and her only real pc experience is with my battered old machine which is still running an i5-3450, so any new cpu should be a significant boost.

as such, heading towards ryzen 5600G or might stretch to the 5700G. i know integrated gfx still aren't great, but i have an rx 570 gfx card she can have to start with to save on initial cost, and i like the idea of the integrated gfx as fallback in case of any issues...and then in future she can possibly upgrade the gfx card for another boost down the line.
    actually checking bottleneck and seems the 5600G and rx570 are a near perfect match at 1080p, which is where she'll be starting and staying for a while.

comparing 5600g with 5700g, considering the latter is 50% more expensive my reading is it's not that much of a perf boost to be worth it now, nor is it going to be that much more future proof, so prob better going 5600g now and keeping the extra money towards future upgrades?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Although not future proof a steam deck is a great value Linux PC. My boy loves his and does most of his gaming plugged into a monitor.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Humble dropped.

Noih 2, saints row, soulstice up for grabs. There could be some others I can't remember.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Someone should get Nioh 2. Revel is on a Souls-ish tilt at the minute, keep it going.

I was thinking about snapping it up myself but I don't think I'd give it enough time on the Deck
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is Nioh 2 tougher than the the first one, or similar?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's tough as old boots but fair. Bashed my head against a proper wall of a boss in the third level or so, finally killed it and instead of ploughing on having earned my stripes I drifted away like the flake I am
  • Kow wrote:
    Is Nioh 2 tougher than the the first one, or similar?
    I thought it was harder.

Yeah, it's weird how difficulty works with games like these. I really sucked at the Ki Pulse mechanic, which is in both, but thought the burst counters in 2 gave me a way around that and helped a lot. As such, I found 2 much easier than 1, but it's ultimately gonna depend a lot on playstyle. If you were ok with counters / ripostes is the likes of Bloodborne or Sekiro, 2 might be a go-er.
  • In the end I gave up on 2 just because...there's far too much of it.
  • I finished it, but yeah, it's definitely too long. Level design isn't the strong point of these games, so they could easily chop a few areas out without robbing you of anything.
  • If I could have Nioh 2 if no-one else wants it as I am not sure it will work on the deck
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Had anyone put some hours into Path of Exile? It's like Diablo but insanely deep. I was looking for a badger to play with for a new build.
  • Played it for a bit and enjoyed it but I am not big on Diablo likes, there was someone else on here who was into it - can't remember who

• Had anyone put some hours into Path of Exile? It's like Diablo but insanely deep. I was looking for a badger to play with for a new build.

I seem to remember that Haak has played that. Not sure if he still does, though.
  • The thing is, it just gets better. PoE 2 is due soonish so I might try and get some badgers onboard then.
  • I bought one of the non-Steam Deck handheld PCs and it seems really cool but fuck me if Steam Big Picture is not one billion times better than everything else at the moment.
  • Steam in general is the best.
  • I bought one of the non-Steam Deck handheld PCs and it seems really cool but fuck me if Steam Big Picture is not one billion times better than everything else at the moment.
    Which machine did you get?

• And are you new to PC gaming?
  • I picked up an ASUS ROG Ally.
    And are you new to PC gaming?

Ish. I have a desktop PC but don't play it very much. Most of my gaming, currently, is Friday night Hunt: Showdown and I play on Xbox.

• Have you tried Dota 2? It's free.
  • And TF2 obvs.
  • Twin stick shooter + Zelda thing. Odd combo, great demo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1634860/Minishoot_Adventures/
  • I've actually never played DOTA or TF2, somehow.

Anyway, the ROG is a fantastic piece of kit. The sticks are a little budget but everything else seems great so far. I've had limited success streaming games compared to on my phone, weirdly... Might have to dig around in some settings to pick apart why this might be.
  • I've actually never played DOTA or TF2

Holy moly. Have a look, and Path of Exile too. It's like Diablo 4 but incredibly deep and also free.
  • Not enough hours in the day!
  • Path of Exile 2 reveal! So much detail and it's only in alpha.

Not due out till next year but the first game is amazing - free and 10yrs of development has made it sublime. It's quite complicated for new players mind, just look at the first games skill tree.

Path-of-Exile-Skill-Tree.jpg
  • Oooo ranger.

I'm so excited.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!