General Bear Knuckle
  • Make no mistake: Jack, King, Kuma, Bryan, Yosh, the kangaroo if he's still in - all are character designs I'm receptive to.
    Just not enough to dedicate X-hundred hours to getting tight with right now.
  • I would like to play your Oro in 3 sometime, do you chicken dance on xbox?

I suck, and pick Sean for his obnoxious ways and the fact that Ken's broken.
  • I haven't for a while. Keep meaning to get onto this chipping of my hitbox thing but other shit insists on getting in the way so, slim to no videogaming at present.
  • Gah, I really need to finish my own hitbox. Thanks for inadvertently reminding me Brooks. 

On the subject of said boxes, how did you find the transition from the stick to the directionals?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Is a work in progress.
  • I am not looking forward to QCB, HCB, FCB motions from 1P side.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    We were talking about that in our shed.

Is anyone around for Tekken later? I can be home sometime between 9:30 and 10.
  • Yes, I will be on from 10 assuming Live isn't still borked.

Baek is gonna be wearing more tea than drinking (hopefully)!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Downloading SFIII as I write this. (Painfully slowly, if I'm honest.) If anyone's up for some games, let me know. Gamertag is in my sig. I think I've got some space left on my friends list.

Stupid 100 person limit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Had my first proper fighting game session round a friend's tonight. Three of us, none fighting game aficionados but stuck to playing MVC 3 for about three hours and we had quite alot of fun until one started to use Haggar and Hulk every game which we found difficult to counter. Also as much as I tried to make him work, Viewtiful Joe just seems a bit shit.

So what's a good fighting game to start with if you fancy "getting into" the genre?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Street Fighter IV or Soulcalibur V, 2D and 3D.

Sorry, Roujin - I thought you were off earlier, so I went and caught up on a couple of jobs. Wednesday? @Cherry_Pez?

I've 3SO, Blue. I'm quite handy with Akuma, but hairy old Herbert with everyone else.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    So what's a good fighting game to start with if you fancy "getting into" the genre?

Whatever you enjoy, really. Street Fighter IV and Ultimate MvC3 aren't that expensive these days, and things like Street Fighter III and Skull Girls have demos on XBL (and I assume on PSN).

Escape, chuck us an FR. (Unless I already have you?)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Agree with Escape re games for people who want to get into fighting games. 

SF4 is basically the go to 2D fighter right now and for the foreseeable future, with the largest active community.

SC5 has all of the conventions of 3D fighters such as sidestepping, whiff punishment, juggles, okizeme (beating people up on the ground or while they are trying to stand back up) but features a realatively managable roster size with freshly pruned concise movelists so that it is easier to learn your own and other characters.

Escape, no worries man, I'll be around tonight for games definitely, and last night managed to grab a couple of quick goes with Pez while he laid into me to get a feel for the 'duk. Up for more tonight Mr. Pez? 3 forumites in the same Tekken lobby would probably be a record lol.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Had my first proper fighting game session round a friend's tonight. Three of us, none fighting game aficionados but stuck to playing MVC 3 for about three hours and we had quite alot of fun until one started to use Haggar and Hulk every game which we found difficult to counter. Also as much as I tried to make him work, Viewtiful Joe just seems a bit shit.

It's a lot of fun sat in the same room as your mates. Agree with recommendations of MvC and SFIV.
  • Bollockoff wrote:

If you're playing with friends then I would suggest Street Fighter 2 HD Remix.
    Because:
    1) SF2 basics carry strongly into SF3 and SF4. If you understand what you are doing in SF2 then you will be able to understand the mechanics of 3 and 4 much easier.
    2) You might have thought you were good at SF2 back in the day but practice with this game. If you can do some of the harder combos in SF2HDR then your execution is up to a level that you will find it easier when transitioning to SF4. SF3 admittedly is a different ball game (juggling).
    3) You can learn quicker in SF2HDR because the matches are quicker, you can get punished harder and it teaches you good spacing more than the other games. It'll teach you more about controlling space and the importance of defending/countering and matchups.
    4) There are less characters so learning matchups is easier.
    5) Matches are/normally shorter than in SF4 so you can get through more matches with friends. You dont have to wait so long for your turn.

As long as no one picks Akuma you should be ok.

To clarify, i'm not saying SF2HDR is a better game (even though i think it is) here i'm just advising that if you are coming into the genre its the best place to start.

Warning though that if you try to play people online they're bound to be fucking shit hot. I think this is good as it makes me up my play level and i can learn but it can be soul destroying when you get raped. SFIV has a good match up system but that means you often play people on a lower level than you i dont think thats a great way to practice.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    ...Viewtiful Joe just seems a bit shit. So what's a good fighting game to start with if you fancy "getting into" the genre?

I think he's meant to be one of the best??

SF4 is easy to get into (but hard to master) and is arguably the best fighter around, so might as well start there. Get good at it and you don't really need any other fighters.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    He probably is. Just not with my inept button inputs. Mad short reach though it seemed.

Don't think i'll be able to get the lads round for regular practice so thanks for the advice MK but i'll take the others up and start off with SF IV. Arcade edition is the latest one right?
  • The latest version of SF4 is AE2012, which is basically AE with a free balance patch applied.

So if you buy AE you are sorted.

Re Viewtiful Joe, I don't think he's highly rated really in MvC3 is he? I mean Kosoru used him well because he used Joe's double jump as a tag assist feint to allow him to get Rocket Racoon to set up a log trap. Outside of that there are only a handful of times I recall seeing anyone use him - does Sanford use him on his keepaway team?
  • Don't know which of the good players use him, but I've seen some crazy shenanigans with him in some tourney/pro matches. He has triple jump, not double, right?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dunno, the ins and outs of Mr. Joe well enough to know that, soz. If only Soulss was here!

He may well have a triple jump. I think he's one of those characters that you don't see often, which makes it difficult to fight him because you often lack matchup experience.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    SF IV Arcade Ed (PS3) on its way. Got my eye on the gentleman boxer Dudders.
  • DOH

why PS3, we're all on Microbox
  • Also I found out the PS3 version has 2 frame input lag, which isn't really an issue for bollockoff right now but GOOD WORK CAPPO THAT'S WHY I COULDNT DO OIL COMBOS INTO TICK SPDS AT EVO YOU CAAAAAHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNTS.

EDIT: I'm guessing from the fact he only lists PSN and Steam ID's in his sig that he lacks an Xbox, Nick.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Fucks sake x 2
  • Bollockoff don't worry about the input lag, as you are likely to only be playing the PS3 version you won't notice as you will just get used to playing that way. 

Fuck sake x 1 for not having a 360 and getting it on that though. You ballbag.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Better a ballbag than a Hexbot! FUCK YEAAAAAH.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I might get one.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Absolutely loving Street Fighter III. Already had one random guy send an FR after a brilliant set of games. Found I have a bit of an affinity for Q; I'm definitely less rubbish with him than the other characters.

The trials are pissing me off, though. Definitely doing the right moves, must be mistiming it.
  • They are granite hard, don't sweat it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    SF2 basics carry strongly into SF3 and SF4. If you understand what you are doing in SF2 then you will be able to understand the mechanics of 3 and 4 much easier.

True as that is, the basics are perfectly easy to pick up in the later games, and there's no overlap in approach that way.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!