Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The voice of reason between punching people and Brooks' murder?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm very excited about this, best Nina.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    She's our only Nina, worst Skerret.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks all, first night we're able to sit on our couch and enjoy a glass of wine. Still so much that needs to be done (we only have a mattress, couch, coffee table that's too low and some household items) but it's not easy when your jetlag doesn't go away, never had it this bad.

Irvine itself is like the perfect Sim City city, all the malls in correct places, apartment blocks perfectly arranged, everything you need close by. We live next to the biggest mall in the area, I don't even know how big but after a week we still get lost there.
    It's all build on being as easy as possible to navigate and use, it's weird but also comforting in a way.

The whole economic culture here is crazy though, social security numbers that take 3 weeks, secured credit cards as you need to build a credit score (have debts and pay them off) to be able to buy bigger things and pay rent etc., weird financing plans for almost everything, Presidents Day on the 20th (woohoo, should be Bas his first official holiday, he only starts this Monday).

Irvine seems fine so far, boring, but it's one of the safest places in America, mountains and beach both are less than an hour away, and there are bike lanes everywhere. Kinda regret bringing my mountainbike, as a road bike would have been quite nice as well, so many people use them. Another thing to add to the credit card to build some scores. 

Can't wait to get properly settled, will probably take a couple more weeks but that's ok. Lot's to look forward to, lot's to do right now.
  • Nice one Nina! Should be amazing fun for you both. And so close to Disneyland!
    I'm sure Petey would have some tips for you if you can chase him down on FB or Twitter or whatever.

I'll actually be LA way in the middle of the year but just for a day really (actually Disneyland) so not sure if I'll be able to come say hi but I'll let you know.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    You're doing a day trip from Australia to Disneyland? That's a strong play right there.
  • That's all there is to see in America right?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I guess so otherwise you'd stay longer duh
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Disneyland is amazing, went there last year and can't wait to go back. Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean rides are really pretty, and the 3D Star Wars ride is pretty good as well (we did have a friend asking who worked on the SFX for that, but still, good enough to go in twice as it's different every time).

Let me know when you're here and we'll see if we can arrange something. No bike with you this time?
  • Nina wrote:
    Irvine seems fine so far, boring, but it's one of the safest places in America

No, everyone is in constant danger of being killed by a filthy foreigner.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm sure Nina is very clean.
  • No bike this time. Shorter holiday and traveling with some more people. LA, Vegas, New York, Boston, Toronto pretty much.

I'd love to have more time off to do another bike trip but it's hard now being in a real job and stuff.
  • Sis is moving to Japan (tokyo) to go teach English. Silly mare hasn't actually ever been to Japan so I told her to go visit first. But she's handed in her notice at work and is off in April, though for a visit to Japan and China. She abit of a tomboy (mum blames me), she's into gaming etc so I think she'll enjoy Japan. It's just a very long way away from family and she's going by herself.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Sis is moving to Japan (tokyo) to go teach English. Silly mare hasn't actually ever been to Japan so I told her to go visit first. But she's handed in her notice at work and is off in April, though for a visit to Japan and China. She abit of a tomboy (mum blames me), she's into gaming etc so I think she'll enjoy Japan. It's just a very long way away from family and she's going by herself.

Have faith. I did the same when I was 20 (China, not Japan, though) and, although there's been some tough moments, I'd rank it as one of the best decisions I have ever made. If she needs any help or advice, feel free to send me a PM.
  • I was going to go teach English in Japan after uni but got a job in games qa instead so figured I could do the Japan thing later after establishing a foot in the games industry door. I'm a producer now and love my job, but I often wonder what things would've been like if I'd opted to go teach English in Japan instead. There's a parallel universe somewhere where I love in Kyoto and speak fluent Japanese. No regrets tho.

Your sis will love it btw, Japan's a fantastic country.
  • Japan is a bit troublesome unless you are comfortably well off. Teaching there means being pretty ruthlessly exploited in most cases.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Get her to do Twitch on the side.
  • Sorry but the English teacher in Japan twitch stream spot has already been filled by the based lord Jiyuna.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • thanks for the advice peeps. ive been to Tokyo myself and loved it. however i went with missus and not by myself. having someone to share the experience with helps. though with skype and facetime etc things should be easier. her friend who is also off to teach English abroad is going to south Korea. i did say to her why not go to SK with your friend, but apparently SK didnt appeal.

@Childintime, do you think she'd be better off teaching english in china?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    @Childintime, do you think she'd be better off teaching english in china?

Not particularly. Schools across Korea, Japan and China are pretty notorious for shitty working practices, and it takes a while to get used to that. It'd be no better in China, imo, and Japan is a lovely country, so why not?

When I say shitty working practices, I'm genuinely not trying to alarm you. It's usually management pushing teachers into extra hours, a lack of clear overtime pay, a lacklustre approach to training and quality control, asking teachers to give demo classes to potential students as a favour etc.

My experience is thy most schools around here don't really give a shit about the standard of teaching, they just want bums in seats.

So my advice to her would be to stay calm, and take her time to adjust to her new work and social environment. I've had some shitty bosses and some good ones, and I'm pretty good at handling this stuff now, but I see a lot of foreign teachers burn out in 2-4 years because they just get frustrated with it. Once she gets a handle on how to deal with work and stuff, she'll flourish, and have a cool experience that 99% of people never get to have.

Also, tell her to take language lessons. Many schools offer free language lessons as part of the benefits package, but these are rarely formally structured- they're an afterthought and you often won't get them unless you push for them. Even then, it'll likely be a coworker being roped into doing it, and they won't really have the time to plan properly. So tell her to grab some books and do 1-2 hours practice a day. Her standard of living, as well as appreciation and understanding of the local culture, will increase massively.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Sorry but the English teacher in Japan twitch stream spot has already been filled by the based lord Jiyuna.

Joined this chap's stream earlier today. Had a blast just listening to a chill Persona 5 track he had on repeat and refused to change while chatting about his last day at his teaching job and what the overall experience was like. Also personal goals, attaining happiness, the nature of marriage as a partnership and shit. Was good.
  • Jiyuna highlights on YouTube well worth a watch lads, he is ledge.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • So I've been looking at Canada. Seems you need to have immigration stuff sorted out before applying for jobs as if you don't have the right to work there then the employer has to prove no-one in Canada is right for the job. Fine if you're a doctor or something but for a project manager such as myself that's a bit of a tall order.

Trouble is I work for the government so it's not like we have an office overseas that I can talk to people about getting placed in. I'm now wondering what the best options are... Is it stump up the few grand to try and get a working Visa and then get a job, OR do I try and find a job in a company over here that has big ties to Canada and then try and move over.

Anyone done anything similar/have experience? I'm wondering if there is a job site which caters to jobs which offer relocation/working visas?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Japan is a bit troublesome unless you are comfortably well off. Teaching there means being pretty ruthlessly exploited in most cases.

Not entirely true. Depends where and with whom you are teaching. Establishments such as The British School which, yes, involve you teaching with a company with that name, are relatively similar to U.K. schools in their requirements on staff.

It's just much easier and faster to go down the TEFL road and as such it's easier to be exploited.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    So I've been looking at Canada. Seems you need to have immigration stuff sorted out before applying for jobs as if you don't have the right to work there then the employer has to prove no-one in Canada is right for the job. Fine if you're a doctor or something but for a project manager such as myself that's a bit of a tall order.

Trouble is I work for the government so it's not like we have an office overseas that I can talk to people about getting placed in. I'm now wondering what the best options are... Is it stump up the few grand to try and get a working Visa and then get a job, OR do I try and find a job in a company over here that has big ties to Canada and then try and move over.

Anyone done anything similar/have experience? I'm wondering if there is a job site which caters to jobs which offer relocation/working visas?

My brother did the two year (I think it was) working visa thing. He had no luck finding anyone willing to sponsor him to stay, ended up marrying someone on a student visa which has provided him with the right to stay and work until that ends later this year.

This may be down to his industry being tight, but I also would have thought that they were also in a better position than most to put forward an argument as to nobody else being able to do what he does (he's in animation, so the creative side is fairly unique to the individual).

You may want to hit up (our) Google on Twitter to see what his experiences are.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I made the move to Canada 16 years ago, left a cushy local government job in Scotland. We went through the application for permanent residence, a points based system, no clue what is now, and my skills rated highly (CAD and GIS) and tipped us over the required points total.

The ex and me came over with no job offers and it took 3 scary months to find work. We were lucky in that we had some family to stay with in those early months. If I were to do it again I would have hired a recruiter to help with a job search, we were just flapping about with no knowledge of how things were done over here.

The main thing is that you have marketable skills and are willing to work hard to get your foot in the door and get a year or two stability with your first job. You may also end up in a completely different area - I came from property management/architecture background and ended up in environmental consulting - those transferable skills came in handy.
    Things can only get better.
  • Yeah I made contact with a recruitment person who said they were confident in finding a job, BUT you have to have the visa sorted out. It's still a points based system and it seems I would score enough to get in...it's just that leap.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • West coast of Canada is lovely. Whistler is amazing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!