Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • I hadn't seen Age of Ultron or Ant Man when I saw Civil War, and I had no problems. I knew on sight that Vision and Scarlet Witch were Vision and Scarlet Witch, because they look like them and I'd seen the trailers for Ant Man, and had heard who they cast as him.

So whilst I didn't get the "I know a guy" joke, I did know who he was when he turned up.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Strong and Stable.
    Was that a sequel to Sapphire and Steel?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I wish I'd not seen Age of Ultron.
  • I wish I'd not seen Age of Ultron.

Was a definite misstep. Quite a mess and the main villain was pretty poorly done imo. Also the whedon one liners (of which I am usually a big fan) became almost every other sentence.

Didn't mind it as much when I watched on Netflix a couple weeks ago.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    There are alot of superhero tv shows. The quality does vary alot.  Not seen:  Iron Fist (not good reviews) Powerless (has potential apparently) Won't watch: Gotham (cant be arsed) Agents of Shield (cant be arsed)   Arrow (garbage) Supergirl (garbage) Legends of Tomorrow (garbage would be a compliment) Have watched / am watching: Daredevil (amazing) Jessica Jones (very good) Legion (which im working through at moment, is touch and go) Luke Cage (just started) Preacher (very good)

Had time for the first series of Daredevil, but beyond that I've not got on with any of them really.

At least Shield was a bit of fun (in the 2 series I watched).

Legion I haven't seen.

Preacher was a whole different ballgame and I thought was really excellent.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • I wish I'd not seen Age of Ultron.
    Was a definite misstep. Quite a mess and the main villain was pretty poorly done imo. Also the whedon one liners (of which I am usually a big fan) became almost every other sentence. Didn't mind it as much when I watched on Netflix a couple weeks ago.

Ultron was hit and miss.

It definitely had it's moments, but was a bit of a mess by the end. 

I liked the early scene around the table with everyone trying to lift the hammer, with Vision casually passing it to Thor later on when everyone's weighing him up.

I think I've read Whedon didn't like it either. 

Cap 3 was a much better Avengers film.
  • Right, so apart from myself, chump, cinty, jonb, reg, yoss, gman, grem, monkey, tempy, kow, and shabby, I think I can safely say basically nobody likes Hulk.

• I quite liked it.
  • I thought it was OK but I was totally distracted by the fact Hulk looked like Trevor from Eastenders.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    There are alot of superhero tv shows. The quality does vary alot.  Not seen:  Iron Fist (not good reviews) Powerless (has potential apparently) Won't watch: Gotham (cant be arsed) Agents of Shield (cant be arsed)   Arrow (garbage) Supergirl (garbage) Legends of Tomorrow (garbage would be a compliment) Have watched / am watching: Daredevil (amazing) Jessica Jones (very good) Legion (which im working through at moment, is touch and go) Luke Cage (just started) Preacher (very good)

Had time for the first series of Daredevil, but beyond that I've not got on with any of them really.

At least Shield was a bit of fun (in the 2 series I watched).

Legion I haven't seen.

Preacher was a whole different ballgame and I thought was really excellent.

Season 2 of daredevil is the best TV superhero material yet.
  • The second it stops being about the Punisher it becomes utter trash. Fucking ninjas, bore off.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The second it stops being about the Punisher it becomes utter trash. Fucking ninjas, bore off.

Yeah, I'm with tempy here. I barely got to the end of the series.

Same with Jessica Jones. Went on far too long.

I did like the Punisher himself though.

Skipped Luke Cage because I'm racist I've now given up the TV stuff.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The second it stops being about the Punisher it becomes utter trash. Fucking ninjas, bore off.

Absolutely agree. The mystical superninjas were shit.
  • Thought there were some pretty decent ninja fights in that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought the ninjas were ok, they're part of the Daredevil world anyway. They'll be in The Defenders too, I guess.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Strong and Stable.
    Was that a sequel to Sapphire and Steel?

Film remake please?  No-one would be a lush as Lumley though.

I like the point someone made about kids standing on their seats with excitement watching the Marvel firework shows. To be watching these at the right age would be fucking awesome. I had to do with the incredibly lame 70s Spiderman film. Even then (1977 - I was 11) I knew it was a bit shit although the walking up walls was pretty good. God bless my father - he took us and had to sit through it.

I can also remember the 70s Kong film in the cinema which was OK at that age I suppose - though I can also remember it not being just as good as it should have been.

But then we did get to see Jaws.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I raced home with Japanese Spider-Man from the video rental place. It wasn't exactly what I imagined.
  • I remember an animation of Spiderman on a logo that ran a after some kids show.

I used to think it was proper amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My brother had to sit through Pokemon 2000 with his kids.........
  • I thought it was OK but I was totally distracted by the fact Hulk looked like Trevor from Eastenders.
    I remember thinking that too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was Ang Lee's Hulk the one that bit the end of a missile off and spat it out at a helicopter? If so then it wins.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    heh. He olympic hammer threw a tank too.

The hulk sequences were excellent but you had to eat your greens a bit too much to get to them.
  • I watched Ant-Man again today. Something struck me this time which didn't before, and it bothered me throughout the whole film.

Spoiler:

djchump wrote:
    I struggle to understand how anyone can find them confusing or not remember character names; they're not complicated stories. Comes across like people are trying to be too cool for school.

Mate, the stories aren't complicated, but they aren't memorable, either. So, when a later film relies on a plot point from an earlier film, it's not that it's confusing, it's just that it's not clear why certain things are happening. The superheroes are interesting to look at, but the treatment of alter-egos and normal humans is bland as fuck, so it's easy to forget who minor characters are from one to the other. I only know that The Vision is called The Vision because of here. I don't know who The Scarlet Witch is, and I've seen all the Marvel films. I'm pretty sure the last film featured Black Panther, but nothing in the film told us that. It relies on prior knowledge. Too much of what's going on relies on prior knowledge.
  • Black Panther has only been in Civil War so far. The Vision and Scarlet Witch stuff is understandable because you probably fell asleep during Age of Ultron like most people.
  • Wait, I think vaguely remember Jarvis (because that's the only name he has going by the films) flirting with someone at some point. Was that her?
  • Given Ev had to re-watch it for her dissertation, I just asked her. Scarlet Witch is apparently never explicitly named in the film, she's just called Wanda Maximoff.

The Vision isn't explicitly named either, but that is kind of a reference to his first appearance where in the comics he is created and the first character to see him talks about "the vision" she saw. They play with that, with Thor having a vision, and Ultron says to him "My vision, they took everything from me." as a synthetic humanoid body was part of his plan to escape his robot body. Jarvis does get uploaded into him, and Wanda/Scarlet Witch is the person he is kind of bonding with.

So you're right to be honest. They don't call Quicksilver that either apparently, there's a lot of extra-media knowledge coming into play. I guess reading endless guff about them and knowing the stuff really does fill in the blanks. Hard to cotton on to the fact they've never said Scarlet Witch when all the press names her, and you know who Wanda is.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Interesting if they don't ever name Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch explicitly in dialogue - they had to make an agreement with Fox to use those because they fall under the X-Men license, perhaps it's a contractual thing.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Stark does actually name him.

Thor says he had a vision then Cap asks why his vision sounds like Jarvis, which is the first mention of it, then later Ultron says what you menton. Just after that when they are having the mind meld fight Stark asks his Jarvis replacement AI thing how The Vision is doing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!