The office gaming tourney thread
  • I was going to post song for whoever by The Beautiful South but I cant be arsed. Imagine I did it anyway and have that small lol on me.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Monica, Eirca, Rita, Tina, Sandra, Mary, Jessica.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't get Daytona set up in work today - too much shit going on. Have it set up ready for the morn. Looking good using the projector with VGA box. 

The wheel holds onto a tabletop very well. It doesn't have force feedback but it has built in resistance which increases the more you turn it which is a decent compromise.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Smang wrote:
    Alberto and Jennifer apparently.

Ya da man.
  • Ridge racer has always been my guilty driving game pleasure.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Small field today (lots on a course this week which finished yesterday and a pile took the day off).

Such is the hazard of organising this but 6 of us had a good laugh with Daytona. We were all within a second or so of each other re lap times.

Looked nice through the projector and the 16 year old DC wheel performed well.
  • Everyone wishes they had a Davy at work.

Daytona is one of the few big Sega arcade franchises I never clicked with.  I blame the CCE on Saturn and its broken handling, when really I should blame the fact that I ignored the one that played well because of the horrendous pop-up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DoDonPachi score attack competition this week. 

Running it in good old shmupMAME with a generic pad and a Mayflash joystick for control options. Laptop rigged up to a projector and it looks damn good.

Guys are getting into it. It seems there are several closet shmup fans in the building that thought the genre was dead. They're really enjoying the navigation through the bullets with that small collision box. DDP soon shows how good a game it is too with its scoring tricks.

ready to go
    ddp2.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DDP was enjoyed by those who tried it. The females didn't really like it though. One guy has asked for a copy of the ROMs.

Most were able to get to the level 2 boss with the occasional sojourn into level 3 where things really hot up as per normal Cave difficulty curves.

Donkey Kong week after next.
  • Donkey Kong should be a good one.  Maybe give them King of Kong to watch as homework.  I did a mini tourney on it a few years ago (presumably just after the doc came out, I remember trying to get hold of Billy Mitchell's hot sauce), and it's pretty brutal as a one shot game - even regular gamerz missed their chance to blow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Donkey Kong is a pretty tough game - but then it's an old school arcade game designed to fleece casuals. There's an excellent game called DK Remix but unfortunately it's only for PCB owners - doesn't run in MAME (yet)..

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Donkey Kong round was a hit. We only really got 3 days worth of play in because I didn't get freed up in work until Tuesday night to set it up.

It's a lot tougher than it looks. Many didn't get past the 2nd screen. A few got over 10,000 which isn't a bad showing considering no-one had played it in decades (and some had never played it). Those of us who played way back don't remember it being this hard to be honest.

I circulated a link to the King of Kong doc. A few are enjoying it - there might be a Mr Awesome fan club starting up.  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tapper this week.  Haven't played it in ages - someone in the office mentioned it got a reference in Wreck it Ralph.

People are finding it tougher than I thought they would. You really have to explode out of the blocks with this one and get into a rhythm.

Will be interesting to see how people adapt.

giphy.gif

This got a gorgeous cabinet in the arcades. Only ever saw one - complete with brass rail and beer tap controller.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tapper attracted a smaller number of competitors but the level of competition was quite high. Not many had heard of it which surprised me.

EDIT: turns out quite a few played but only a handful bothered to write their witnessed scores down for some reason.

Anyhow - onto the final week (we move to an open plan office with 1200 other staff and no way we will get away with this any more). 

Atari's arcade take on Tetris.

An enjoyable , if old school version of the game. One rotate button and a rather lengthy auto shift delay jolts against today's efforts. It's also prone to dishing out 3 or 4 of the same shape from time to time -  but the level format helps. Each level sets a target number of lines and once you do that the pit/grid is reset for the next level. It starts to crank up the speed and adds garbage as the levels go by.  Early take up is encouraging with this one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tetris getting a lot of attention. Scores are close too. I'll need to put in a good performance to win this one.
  • Fuck em up D, you got this.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - top scores are touching 70K. I scored 98K earlier but had no witnesses so need to put that up to them tomorrow. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yikes - one guy got a witnessed 93K. I was only able to move to 85K today.

Last day tomorrow - several are clustering in the high 70Ks just behind me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was moving day today. But I let the Tetris run on until after lunch amid the chaos of removal guys doing their thing. I wasn't able to best my Tetris nemesis - so I finished 2nd with 85K. Nice event to finish with.

We, the IT section, have left our fortress of solitude and now occupy the 5th floor of a building in which those we support are accommodated. We have a floor to ourselves, however it's unlikely I will run any more gaming events because you have to be aware of how something is perceived. Anyone who works in an internal service provider will know how it is....Pity - but that's life.

So it's highly unlikely I will be posting in this little thread again. I may update the OP with a summary of every game I used with an opinion on its suitability, but apart from that this is the office gaming thread signing out.

Unless someone else takes up the baton.
  • That's a shame mate, enjoyed reading about them, I'm sure they were great fun.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Boo.  An IT department playing the odd videogame shouldn't be frowned upon.  I bet it's more fun than tacos on the roof.   Good thread Davy.
  • Yeah that is a shame, I always enjoyed reading your gaming work day gaming exploits! Maybe it's time I tried doing it at my work!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Keep an eye on how they do "team bonding" because I'm pretty sure you can do a better job. Definitely wouldn't forget about what you've been doing but maybe you could consider it on a smaller scale without the projector. Have an old CRT in the corner and people can practice when they're free?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye.  I'll be keeping a watch on what happens elsewhere in the building.  I'm not holding out much hope but maybe I will be surprised.

Might be opportunities for play with charity sponsor events such as Children in Need etc.

Have summarised my experiences in the OP.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Where I work, we have a multi-event competition of sorts each summer.  With quite a range of stuff - which team's employees can cycle the furthest, cummulatively, over two months; three-sided football; knock-out tabletennis; competitive https://geoguessr.com/; etc.

This year we have a "random computer game tournament".  My first round is later today.  Head-to-ahead against some young upstart - and I've no idea what we'll be competing at!  I must do it for us middle agers, however; victory SHALL BE MINE.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Splendid. Great to see the torch being carried onward.

report back - win or lose.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fucked it.  

There were four games it could have been at, three of which I have played either somewhat or a lot (Arkham Knight room challenge; Lego Indie; Flash version of portal), and then XIII on PS2 (which I've not played).  Obviously lucked out and got XIII, which is basically unplayable these days!  Very low frame rate & bad hit boxes & shonky controls.  And got mawled.  (Obviously just as hard for the other person too, but I'm a bad loser :-))
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    XIII is an odd choice for an office game. What's the line of business?

If I had to face anyone in an FPS, especially with dual-stick controls, I'd be totally knackered.
  • XII is a really odd choice... Was it just 1 vs 1 deathmatch?

We had a similar thing a couple of weeks back (I say similar, it wasn't, it just involved games and was at work) and it was good fun. There were 3 disciplines on offer: Table Tennis, Wii Tennis, SNES SFII. I managed to win the SFII one by being the least awful but completely blew it in the first rounds of the other two, losing very badly.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Office gaming returns this week!

Tetris competition in our office on Friday. Will take pics.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!