Podcasts
  • Well done Rev, have given a fair few friends a heads up about the poddo and they're loving it. They said they'll add reviews on iTunes to help out. Impressive work.
  • Thanks Stoph, that's really nice of you. I really appreciate it. It makes the work worth it when things like that happen.

We hit #128 in the Other Games chat in iTunes, where all the Boardgame podcasts hang out, which is the highest we have been.
    Its taken 18 months and 93 episodes to get there, so it's a very sweet result.

The funny thing is, it doesn't take many reviews for you to experience a massive leap. That latest one was down to 2 new reviews.

I've worked out that the big players stay near the top because of the number of reviews they have, as iTunes doesn't seem to take downloads into account. they pick up regular reviews so maintain a strong position.
    But if you get a raft of decent reviews at once, iTunes think you're the boss and you can jump 100s of places. Then you land in the new and noteworthy.

So if you like a podcast, best thing to do is show some love on the iTunes, as it really helps.

Downside is I'm playing less videogames, and so frequent less threads on here, so I'm a bit out of touch with the place.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • http://werenotwizards.podbean.com/e/dcdarksouls/

My interview with the development manager from Steamforged Games.
    All about the Dark Souls Boardgame, card game and the resident evil 2 boardgame.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • This is really cool Rev. Nice to see it all going well for you.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thank you g.
    Its a lot of fun to do.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    What did people think of the end of The Adventure Zone? Cinty?

Finally got round to finishing this.

The Finale wasn't great, but it was fine. I'm not the kind of person who thinks that botching the end invalidates everything that comes before it - I'd still say The Adventure Zone was pretty great, and a poor final act doesn't make everything else worthless.

The final episode itself was just about good enough, and I'm willing to cut Griffin a lot of slack because DMing is hard - and isn't helped by them having fans that are very defensive when the McEllroys are criticised. It's also worth mentioning that the whole thing was, like, 3 years long and that the quality remained very high for much of that.

So yeah. The final battle was cheap and unsatisfying, the RPG aspects were completely abandoned (for the most part) and there was one thing there that I absolutely HATED which really summed up the issues I had with where the show went. But I did like the epilogue for the most part, and I don't doubt the earnestness of anyone involved.

I'll give season 2 a whirl and see whether they go back to player choice and interaction, or whether it continues with the Guess what the DM wants you to do game.
  • Film Critic Hulk did a good write-up on The Adventure Zone, too, and while I'm rather more critical than him regarding execution, I certainly agree with the sentiment:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/18/film-crit-hulk-smash-goodnight-adventure-zone
  • Agree with your thoughts there, think I liked it a lot more when it had actual d and d in it along with the story. I think they did create something genuinely good and interesting, story wise, but it's a shame it moved away from its core. They're making a graphic novel which suits the story I'd say.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Agree with your thoughts there, think I liked it a lot more when it had actual d and d in it along with the story. I think they did create something genuinely good and interesting, story wise, but it's a shame it moved away from its core. They're making a graphic novel which suits the story I'd say.

Agreed. The final few arcs were especially suited to other media, like you say.

Still, was very, very good when it peaked. Fave moments? Anything that really stuck out to you?
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Agree with your thoughts there, think I liked it a lot more when it had actual d and d in it along with the story. I think they did create something genuinely good and interesting, story wise, but it's a shame it moved away from its core. They're making a graphic novel which suits the story I'd say.

Agreed. The final few arcs were especially suited to other media, like you say.

Still, was very, very good when it peaked. Fave moments? Anything that really stuck out to you?

Lots of good moments actually.
    Spoiler:
  • Haha yeah that was top
  • I lasted 5 mins of EP 1 and ditched this shit
  • legaldinho wrote:
    I lasted 5 mins of EP 1 and ditched this shit

You missed DnD Mad Max featuring Unicorns, Bank Heists and Plant Villains. U R Lose.
  • I wish Garyl was my spirit animal, but he's too awesome for me :-(
    Mines probably a stoat or something.
  • I've just started the time travel arc, which is pretty good but I am already finding that there's maybe not enough actual D&D in it - but it's still hilarious and well told despite that.

My favourite so far has been the Fast & Furious inspired arc and, of course, abracafuckyou.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Big thank you to Wookie for giving us a review on iTunes. Thank you very much mate. Much appreciated.
  • First off congrats revel!! Keep it up!!!
    Secondly I need help!
    I'm on the hunt for good podcasts. Im spending a loooong time commuting and have chewed through my regulars.
    So I need recommendations please, if you the forum would be so good....
    Some recommendations around I dunno meditation n mindfulness and that sort of thing. Nothing about Israel..... :D
    Like is this Sam Harris guy worth a listen? (not his political stuff mind)
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Frankie Boyle has put up his recent Edinburgh show as a poddo - if you like that sort of thing. I don't think he's ever been funnier - fucking hilarious stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Frankie Boyle has put up his recent Edinburgh show as a poddo - if you like that sort of thing. I don't think he's ever been funnier - fucking hilarious stuff.

Is that a podcast called Prometheus volume 1? It's on pocket casts but there's no description.

• Kow wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Frankie Boyle has put up his recent Edinburgh show as a poddo - if you like that sort of thing. I don't think he's ever been funnier - fucking hilarious stuff.

Is that a podcast called Prometheus volume 1? It's on pocket casts but there's no description.

Yeah, thats it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Second volume of that Frankie Boyle thing is available. It's five and a half hours long!
  • I thinks it’s an audio book.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah.
  • First off congrats revel!! Keep it up!!!
    Secondly I need help!
    I'm on the hunt for good podcasts. Im spending a loooong time commuting and have chewed through my regulars.
    So I need recommendations please, if you the forum would be so good....
    Some recommendations around I dunno meditation n mindfulness and that sort of thing. Nothing about Israel..... :D
    Like is this Sam Harris guy worth a listen? (not his political stuff mind)

Sam Harris podcast is well worth a listen. He's done some great stuff. His two parter with Richard Dawkins is brilliant.
  • Big thank you to Wookie for giving us a review on iTunes. Thank you very much mate. Much appreciated.
    You’re welcome mate. Keep up the good work
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Cheers for the recommendations going to check them out today.

I'm almost finished listening to the Joe Rogan podcast with ole Rusty Brand. Such a tough listen. Brand is......He makes some valid points and his goal of self improvement is admirable. Totally disagree with other points he makes though which is fine and to be expected. And his constant dropping of quotes is grating. There is no denying he is an intelligent man but fuck me his ego and constant attention seeking is off the charts.  Its astonishing really.
    I think he is quite similar to Joe Rogan. Rogan is all about constant self improvement of mind and body. Brand pays lip service to a lot of the same things but I don't think he actually does them yet wants to constantly preach about it.

Oh and Rogan's interview with Brett Weinstein's brother....what a dick.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • I have the same problem with Brand - I really wanted to listen to his chat with Frankie Boyle, but could only tolerate about 20 minutes before I had to turn it off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!