Can we talk about Logan Paul?
  • I don't agree it's a blanket good thing, because kids who grow up loving stuff by people like JonTron are going to be disarmed by that attachment when they start veering into dubious politics given the nature of parasocial relationships, and how easily they are formed with content creators on youtube.

Plus, the AltRight is overwhelmingly loud on the platform, outnumbers other voices, and is seemingly immune to the censorship that YouTube has previously put in place (which alarmingly censored lots of mild videoes about LGBT politics, but let videos proliferating racial hatred stay up. It has to be monitored.
  • In that past celebrity was Beatle mania, The Sex Pistols swearing on TV, all that stuff. People were obsessed but they had little window into their lives other than what was presented to them on TV appearances, radio or magazine interviews. There was the odd bit of scandal in the tabloids and bizarre stories in The Enquirer but for the most access to even the most juicy stories was limited to police statements etc.

In 1995 OJ Simpson was put on trial for double murder. The decision was made to televise the trial in full. From that moment the public and especially the American public had access to a celebrities life like never before.
    I think living here it can be hard to understand just how huge that trial was in America. It ran for 9 months and totally dominated TV schedules during it. I visited America in the July of that year and I remember every channel being constant rolling coverage.
    Less than two years later the same man was involved in a live police chase/kidnapping. With people lining the streets to watch/support. They were pressing the like button before there was one.

That was the birth of Celebrity Culture. That was the start of the public wanting more than what was presented to them, more than just the product they wanted the person. Shortly after the hounding of Princess Diana really kicked into gear, everyday she was a main story on the news until she was killed by it. The paparazzi boomed in the mid to late 90s. Going into the noughties where we started getting celeb based shows like I'm a Celebrity and reality TV which made people famous despite having no discernable talent.

By the time Twitter launched people were already famous for fame's sake. Twitter opened up their lives to us all, celebs could now speak to us directly and we could speak to them.
    Those barriers that divided celebs and the great unwashed that existed during Beatlemania were long gone.

So it is easy to see how the value of celebrity has been eroded the last few decades while at the same time the access the public want to the lives of these celebrities has increase massively.

Ever increasingly the public don't want talented people performing their art in a restrictive way, they want anyone who is willing to pull their cheeks apart and flash their bumholes.
  • Social media definitely seems to be the new soap box for 'the next alt-right idol'. Whether that's a good development is up for debate.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • That's not strictly true either dive, the truth is somewhere in the middle, which is that complex, interesting art made by dedicated talented indviduals will always be around, and so will lowest common denominator bullshit.

There's more of the latter, but it's not as enduring as the former. The present is louder than ever thanks to social media, but it's also stacked up against incredibly shortsighted nostalgia for better times that are only better because we filtered out the massive amounts of shite.
  • Any thoughts about YouTube can be applied to the internet generally, whether it's right-wing blogs or sometime setting themselves on fire for views. I doubt the perceived proportional of AltRight is higher than irl, it's just now everyone gets a voice whilst before you had to be more educated to earn that right.
  • It is higher on YouTube though, by  metric of views and subscribers. There are more of them, getting more views than their left wing counterparts, and that's important to know because it may well skew people's views. Video is a very powerful tool, especially to formative minds.
  • The biggest problem with YouTube is YouTube. It's honestly a fucking awfully run company and it won't get better because it has a defacto monopoly on video so zero incentive to change.
  • I'm not so sure it is Tempy. Certainly, when I look at the trending bit I don't find it biased toward the right. In fact, I remember PewDiePie being accused of being a Nazi when he actually being taken out of context. I'm sure their are plenty of mid-ramge Tubers spouting right-wing stuff, but that's because America currently dominates YouTube because amongst other things English is the language of the internet.
  • Tbf, youtube is a fantastic resource for all kinds of interests whether it be music, video, games or otherwise. There's something for everyone here. It's a shame you have to sift through the Paul Logan/piediepew guff to get to the good stuff.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Am I being too sensitive? Am I out of touch? Is all of this funny? If the answer is yes, I have even less hope for our species, if that’s even possible.

I get your point, and I'm on your side, but this is the dark side of instantaneous mass communication.

Idiots.

I think a certain amount of idiocy is permissible, if no harm is done.

Many people have seen 2 girls one cup... Many of them are kids... Funnily enough, shit eating is not endemic...

The thing about the artefact you cite, is that it is harmful... Dead people have families, and their death is extremely painful to the people they leave behind.

Similar thing with pewdie, or whatever the fuck his name is... Using offensive words so casually, when you know his target audience is undoubtedly bound to repeat the behaviour...

With Owen Wilson above though, I think there are laws regarding filming people without consent...

Someone should throw that book at him, if it's not been suggested already.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Many people have seen 2 girls one cup... Many of them are kids... Funnily enough, shit eating is not endemic...

And this is the same thing how?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    T'internet is full of people talking all kinds of shit, offensive or otherwise. Who cares? Problem is when your entertainment comes from actually going out and upsetting other people for laughs. This twat really should do a stint in jail under some law against desecrating or some such and/or be banned from YouTube.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Paedos etc can be banned from using computers/internet, can't they? Maybe this prick could have a similar temporary ban, a year or so.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Many people have seen 2 girls one cup... Many of them are kids... Funnily enough, shit eating is not endemic...

The demand for morally outrageous content in the digital age, and the ever stupid efforts to sate that demand.

You could even possibly scale this idea up to what Trump is doing...
  • The thing is people trust their kids with youtube.
    After leaving the kids for 2 weeks with the ipad and pewdiepie suddenly all of them are neo nazi alt-righters.

#shithappens
  • I'm not so sure it is Tempy. Certainly, when I look at the trending bit I don't find it biased toward the right. In fact, I remember PewDiePie being accused of being a Nazi when he actually being taken out of context. I'm sure their are plenty of mid-ramge Tubers spouting right-wing stuff, but that's because America currently dominates YouTube because amongst other things English is the language of the internet.

Looking at the trending stuff is never a good indication though. I am talking about the very real AltRight/Sceptic movement on YouTube. It might be cannibalistic in its viewer counts, but it makes money and spreads a lot of misinformation.

People like Paul Joseph Watson, Stefan Molyneux, Thunderf00t and fuckin' "Sargon of Akkad" have 100x the subs and views of the people opposing them. Sure, it might be the same 700,000 people following all of them, but it gives them a platform, and gives them a claim of legitimacy. No one in the mainstream is going to invite a astute 50k sub count video maker to talk about an issue they know in-depth, but they might invite Mister Paul "Malmo is DANGEROUS" Watson with his tick and 1.5mil subs. It's the Farage problem, but digital.
  • Many people have seen 2 girls one cup... Many of them are kids... Funnily enough, shit eating is not endemic...
    The demand for morally outrageous content in the digital age, and the ever stupid efforts to sate that demand. You could even possibly scale this idea up to what Trump is doing...

It's a false equivalency.

2G1C is basically watching someone else do something disgusting.

the "alt right" racist/supremacists movement is spreading hatred further than it would otherwise go, care of some crude but ultimately effective marketing from people like milo, bannon, etc. This has direct consequences such as white supremacist terrorists driving cars through crowds.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    One thing I want to add about 2 girls one cup, is that I've never seen it. Despite numerous invitations, because the very thought of it physically sickens me... That's not true for everything in this class (i.e. happy slapping, videos of accidents, and possibly other shit that I've not been exposed to yet), but I do have some very strong ideas on what I would/wouldn't like to see.

Not everyone is the same, and not everyone found to have such morbid interests are bad either. So I'm not rushing to advocate absolutes.

That said, I think degrees of harm can be quantified. And we should definitely now start prospecting people are guilty of the type of infraction described in the OP...

Because the family of the deceased should probably be compensated.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    What I struggle with is, as a teen, I'd listen to music or watch films and if an actor or musician would open their mouths outside that context, I'd likely cringe. I’m sure we've all said to the tv "oh shut up Bono/Michael Jackson/Lars Ulrich and stick to the music" - or something equivalent.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Another difference is that 2G1C is isolated. Logan Paul does regular videos, builds an audience and community around him, and then serves up a dead body to millions of unsuspecting teens. They aren't necessarily looking for it. It's like a CBBC presenter cutting to footage of an open grave.
  • the value of celebrity

The what now?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Another difference is that 2G1C is isolated. Logan Paul does regular videos, builds an audience and community around him, and then serves up a dead body to millions of unsuspecting teens. They aren't necessarily looking for it. It's like a CBBC presenter cutting to footage of an open grave.

That was what I was getting at, thank you Tempy for providing the words.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    the value of celebrity

The what now?
    Their worth to society and culture.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Another difference is that 2G1C is isolated. Logan Paul does regular videos, builds an audience and community around him, and then serves up a dead body to millions of unsuspecting teens. They aren't necessarily looking for it. It's like a CBBC presenter cutting to footage of an open grave.

I think it's less about programming now, and more about what the audience is willing to share.

The video was entitled 'Suicide Forest', right?

If you were the type of mofo to click on that, you'd probably be disappointed if you didn't see a dead body in there...

Especially as you'd already know what kind of guy this prick is from other videos.

Basically, I'm saying I still think it is equivalent. The intention is to gain attention (read as fame) by shocking people.

I think doing that is permissible, but the degree of harm should now constitute a hard boundary.

Because the floodgates were opened looong ago, and the only time we really discuss the whole thing, is when an extreme case comes to mind.

So what I'm saying, is that we should punish all cases equally, but use a clear rule to prevent this from becoming arbitrary, and leaving organized idiots like pewp' 'free speech' as a loophole.
  • You're misunderstanding the mechanism of delivery still. Much of his audience don't think he's a prick, that's the whole point.

Good Youtube thread. Shannon Strucci. Parasocial Relationships.

Don't come at those from the angle of a 30 something person, empathise with why teens and young kids would buy into the faux sincerity and assertions that this is "the most real thing" he's done, and why abusing the trust he has created to show a dead body is insidious.

As ever, these things should be approached with an empathy and understanding of the people it can affect the most.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    So I'm suggesting that you apply very specific punishments, and see how the pricks act after that.

Pew? Inciting racism.
    Who this prick is? Unauthorized filming.

Take them both to court.

Kudos for building an audience, but you're harming people now.

You can communicate the same (idiotic) message without harming anyone?

Fine.

That's how I think it should work...
  • It should, but it doesn't.

Showing suicide victims is known to have an effect on suicidal people. If this was old media, people would be held accountable, or at the very least they'd be an attempt.

Here we get the same as ever - a monetised apology, a swell of viewers, parents and guardians writing it all off as "silly rubbish that kids watch", and that's just the stuff that gets highlighted by these "stars".

I'm interested in Stophs feelings on this stuff, given he teaches politics to kids.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Not sure what Gonzo would say, but looks like their very own work constitutes evidence of crimes in both cases, right?

I mean, that's why we don't have so many happy slapping vids online anymore, surely...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or the kids just aren't into that anymore. That's like a hundred kid years ago.
  • Jontron was repeating the lines of the presidential campaign winner so doubt any court would do much about him.

This Logan guy. 
    Desecration of a corpse would be a crime committed on Japanese land so would require extradition. No way a blonde, white, rich american is getting extradited to Japan, image the votes that would be lost for the Republicans.
    So it would be something along the lines of sharing of obscene material. Given the documentary format he could afford a lawyer that would get him off.

Pewdeepie I am unfamiliar with all of the stuff he did.
    There was something about an anti-semitic video which from what I can remember of it a decent lawyer could swing it as parody.
    When he said the n word. He passed it off straight away as a slip of the tongue, even if a court didnt believe that they aren't going to convict for hate preaching because he said the n word once.

You take these people to court and lose, or if they only get a minor punishment like a fine or community service then you are playing into their hands.

Prison or internet bans are the only things that will impact them because their down time will make them irrelevant. I don't think what these clowns have done so far would result in either of those punishments though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!