52 Games in a year challenge: 2018
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Me too please, I'm on the same page.

SOWTED! Anymore that ive missed just say. Still need to get a list sorted of last years numbers. If it’s not too much of an ask, if you took part last year send me a message with your total and I’ll make a list of it and update it as we go forward.

Hello!

First post linked homeboy!
  • JonB wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Is super castlevania any good? I’ve only ever played the game boy one which isn’t.
    Short answer is yes. I don't like as much as some of Konami's SNES output (play Contra/Probotector first), but it's well worth playing. The slow movement and some instant deaths can be annoying.
    Yeah seemed clunky at first but not sure if that’s just making me be deliberate and precise.
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I played Bloodlines and IV properly for the first time a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed both.  It's definitely enjoyable as a first time experience, with a few save states.
    Save states all the way for me. I got shot off a ledge leading to insta death from some off-screen laser beams sending me back way too far. I’d get bored of that pretty quickly. A game of its time I think but I’ll plough on.

I’m not unenjoying but I’m glad we’ve moved on a bit. I keep half-thinking I should be pressing a run button or something.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Why is @bollockoff not declaring his bossing of it in here?

This rumble just got royaler.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Verecocha wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

SOWTED! Anymore that ive missed just say. Still need to get a list sorted of last years numbers. If it’s not too much of an ask, if you took part last year send me a message with your total and I’ll make a list of it and update it as we go forward.

Hello!

My list on page 3 bud.

• Borrowed an old snes and some games of a mate whos just got a mini.

Super mario world done.

On to starfox.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Verecocha wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Hello!

Awesome. Updated my post with my current progress.
  • 6 with Azure Striker Gunvolt.  No review yet, but I loved it.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I'll give this a go but doubt I'll get far with a little man on the way in March.

1. What Remains of Edith Finch - 9/10
    Such a good game, very intense and well paced story.

2. Virginia - 6/10
    I found the plot tricky to follow at times. It was an interesting take for a first person feeler.

3. Hollow Knight
    4. Nioh
    5. Dishonoured: Death of the Outsider
    6. Hotline Miami 2
    7. Doom
    8. Ori 2
    9. RDR 2
    10. Super Mario Galaxy
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • FPF is a new one on me.  I like it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I cleared Yakuza kiwami. Move over metal gear, there's a new daddy in town
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • I liked the soundtrack to Virginia.  Found it all a bit weird though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I forgot about Kiwami.  I know we're significantly behind Japan with the Yakuza games, but surely Sega isn't knocking out two a year.  How long is the delay/have they just started to stack up recently?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    6 came out last summer in Japan and we are getting it in March. Kiwami 2 is out this year over there and iexpect we will get it early next year. We are basically caught up
  • Ta.  In for 6 anyway, new engine looks lush.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    6 came out last summer in Japan and we are getting it in March. Kiwami 2 is out this year over there and iexpect we will get it early next year. We are basically caught up

Kiwami 2 is a biggie as the PAL Yak 2 was gold dust. I’d also pay good money for a 3-5 collection on PS4. They don’t need to do owt besides push up the resolution - I just wanna be able to play the entire mainline series from 0-6 on one console.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Kiwami 2 is a biggie as the PAL Yak 2 was gold dust. I’d also pay good money for a 3-5 collection on PS4. They don’t need to do owt besides push up the resolution - I just wanna be able to play the entire mainline series from 0-6 on one console.

Never knew 2 was a mine (hugs copy). I really really loved 5 and having it only on digital on PS3 feels a shame. Day taxi mode
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    First one down:

Rise of the Tomb Raider (XB1X)

Story mode complete + Baba Yaga DLC (880/2250) 41 hours.

Really enjoyed this and have been playing alongside Uncharted 4 (which is not complete yet) which makes for interesting comparisons.

I actually purchased this at launch but never touched it, a move which by fluke was a good one as I've got to experience it in its enhanced form on the X.

Graphically its very good and the HDR led to many moments of flicking back to standard mode to see the difference which is huge.

Gameplay wise its perfect for me, well implemented combat (though towards the end you do feel almost over overpowered), plenty of collectables (which I have to say are far more fun tracking down than in Uncharted) and a reasonable story. Generic sure, but perfectly entertaining, its a video game after all.

I definitely prefer this to Uncharted 4, it feels far smoother and more fun to play, Uncharted feels a bit clunky in comparison with its combat and movement (though to be clear, I am enjoying U4 too, just not as much).

Will be going back for the other DLC and to top off the collectibles. On that note, I also enjoyed being able to take a break from the story at any point and go back to earlier areas whenever I wanted to explore, something I wish I could do in U4.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

9/10.

• 3. Super Castlevania
    Ok in a word. I used saved states frequently. 'Of its time' is the best way to describe this. Lot of frustrating bits in here, you jump on a ledge, a bat comes out of nowhere, knocks you back into a pit of insta-death, and then you restart at some bit that you were at bloody ages ago. The enemies don't really change much or get more challenging, the difficulty comes from avoiding the bloody bats, not making careless mistakes and a trial and error, death and repeat loop. Made for a different time when that was part of the challenge rather than just being annoying. But even within that there are some cheap deaths to be had. That's the bad. 

The slowness of whichever Belmont is featured here wasn't too much of a problem. He's got limited moves but you can pull them off quickly when you need to, the special weapons help and he's pretty nimble at jumping around the place. The bosses are good (as long as you're save stating as soon as they show up). Some are on the easy side, some are on the controller-throwing, tantrum-inducing side. And there's moments when it really comes alive and must have been technically impressive at the time as well. The final run towards Dracula was a good bit. There's a few other moments but they can be a bit few and far between. Most of it is whipping bats and skeletons and plodding around a bit. The soundtrack is great. I didn't think much of it at first but it really grew on me and was a proper ear-wormer by the end.

By save stating it I think I denied myself the best bit. The anxiety of trying to do the whole level with quite precise timing and tricky bits while only taking a few hits and the relief and elation when you finally do it and move onto the next bit. Some of these older games are built around that. But it wasn't entertaining enough for me to play it that way. I'll do it with megaman but those games are fun. This was just fun sometimes. Definitely an easy [8] by early 90s standards, maybe higher. I'd give it a 6 or 7 now.
  • I was just about to start Year Walk, to try and get a game completed at last. I accidentally started another game of Civ VI. Fucks sake Tingle man.
  • For that reason alone Civ VI is going to be the last pile of shame game I play.
  • I like monkey's no-nonsense retro reviews.
  • Updated with the review to Azure Striker Gunvolt, and 7. Stickbold! A Dodgeball Adventure.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I have completed a bunch this year including Yakuza, Pyre, Night in the Woods, Dream Daddy, Edith Finch, but ima refrain from pushing myself this year as looking at my deck, it's big luxurious 80000 hour games so might as well just enjoy.
  • Updated with Dear Esther.

3. Dear Esther: Landmark Edition
    20th January
    It would seem I have a thing for walking simulators, so when the OG came up for a few quid in a sale, I thought I would see how it all started.  First impressions were positive, this is a refreshed version of a relatively old game, but the look of the Hebridean island has a abandoned beauty to it.  The music was excellent too, its minimal, haunting melody adding to the derelict desolation.  Although the underlying story is not spelt out to the player, there is a visual narrative that I picked up which I invested in emotionally and the whole experience was beautiful yet poignant.  I am playing through a second time with the developer commentary on, having also missed certain 'elements' first time round, I am certainly looking out for them now. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Weird timing, I was at Dear Esther Live last night at the Usher Hall
  • Is that as it sounds, playing Dear Esther live?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, but with the guy who narrates it doing it live, and the music all being performed live by musicians. There was a q&a with Jessica Curry (composer) and a guy from the Chinese Room who was playing it onstage after. We waited to get a sense of it but they said "well rather than do a discussion we will just jump into questions" and that's fucking when my C R I N G E B O Y S hackles went up. Then the first question was "not so much a question more an observation" and Mrs reg and I were on our way home. Guy was still talking by the time we were at the front doors of the Usher Hall.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Then the first question was "not so much a question more an observation"
    Man, I fucking hate it when that happens.
  • 4 down - Mario Odyssey. Let the post-game Moonathon begin. Will pop some thought down on the Just Completed thread at some point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!