PlayStation Classic - launching December 2018
  • Vela wrote:
    Ridge Racer 4 is good choice though but doesn't really fit without analog sticks. Wipeout 2097 better be on there. But a lot of them will look very, very rough. Early 3d is ugly.

I used the D-Pad on it.
  • Grabbing a PSP of eBay would be a better way to play PS1 games, if you ask me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This is probably the console generation that I have least interest in revisiting. Early attempts at 3D have generally not aged well. Hard pass from me.

The PS1 didn’t feel like an early attempt at 3D, to me. Coming from the Atari/Amiga generation it just felt like about damn time a console got on board.
  • Gran Turismo
    Tekken 3
    TOCA 2
    Colin McRae Rally
    Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
    Abe's Odyssey
    FF VII
    FF VIII
    FF IX
    Wipeout 2097
    G-Police
    Colony Wars
    Destruction Derby
    Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Resident Evil
    Resident Evil 2
    Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
    ISS Pro: Evolution 2
    FIFA: Road to World Cup 98
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've dabbled with PS games in the past couple of years, working through a stack of 50 or so discs with a couple of mates (inc @retroking1981).  It's not an era that suits much more than a fleeting nostalgia wallop imo.  Great at the time, but 3D experiences have been so refined plenty of games are a chore to play.  Save states would help a lot, which I assume will be supported here.  Good luck having the patience for something like Tomb Raider without them.
    Yossarian wrote:
    This is probably the console generation that I have least interest in revisiting. Early attempts at 3D have generally not aged well. Hard pass from me.

Yep, time has not been kind.

Its an era I have great fondness for and some of my best gaming experiences are still from that period.

Outside the top 10ish across the whole gen there's not much worth revisiting for me though. Plus a lot of the good 'uns have been re-released and improved since.

I feel I'd be better off cherry picking what I want from the PS store on my PS3 tbh. It would certainly be cheaper than £100 and wouldn't require another box under the TV.

Like the NES and SNES mini's I'll pass.

I'll be interested to see the other 15 games though, MGS, Driver and RE2 would be necessities for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • FIFA 98 would be kind of a megaton for me.
  • Retroking totally on point there. Loved it all at the time, but not an era you could pay me to revisit.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yea some of those are gonna be clunky as hell and look ugly as fuck but if there’s MGS on it I’ll still want one
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • With the right line up this could be great. I think the price is pretty much in line with Nintendo's efforts for what you get (an N64 mini will presumably be more costly than the SNES one).

But seeing stuff like Jumping Falsh and Wild Arms already mentioned when it's only a 20 game list doesn't bode well. Not that those are bad, but they're hardly the real classics. The lack of analogue also rules out Gran Turismo.

FFVII and Tekken 3 are a good start though.

For me it would also have to include most of:
    Suikoden 2
    Castlevania SotN
    Ridge Racer
    Bust a Move 2
    Doom
    Resident Evil 2
    Metal Gear Solid
    Front Mission 3
    Tomb Raider

And maybe:
    Silent Hill
    Bishi Bashi
    Breath of Fire IV

Definitely need some help from Konami then.
  • Vela wrote:
    Ridge Racer 4 is good choice though but doesn't really fit without analog sticks. Wipeout 2097 better be on there. But a lot of them will look very, very rough. Early 3d is ugly.
    I used the D-Pad on it.

I was going to say.. if there's one driving franchise taht doesn't need dual shocks it's RR.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Trying to think what PS1 games I loved. It’s long enough ago that I struggle a bit.

Tekken
    Tekken 2
    Soul Blade
    WipEout
    WipEout 2097
    Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater (can’t remember which version I preferred)
    Gran Turismo
    Bust-a-Move 2, 3, & 4 (again, can’t recall which was my favourite)
    Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
    Nobody Can Stop Mr Domino
    Klonoa
    Vib-Ribbon
    Micro Machines
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Re-Volt
  • It’s completely and utterly eclipsed by Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, but it was a good bit of winner-stays-on fun at the time.
  • By including Tekken 3 and FFVII In the video, it’s hard to shrug the idea that they’re leading with the best five games that’ll be on there. That’s generally how these things work.

Now, Wild Arms has a big following, I’m sure Jumping Flash has its fans, and R4 was huge at the time, but that was as much for the JogCon as anything else. It’s less iconic than the original (which may well still be on there).

I’d be very surprised if MGS is on there. That’s one you’d use to lead the marketing.
  • poprock wrote:
    It’s completely and utterly eclipsed by Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast, but it was a good bit of winner-stays-on fun at the time.

It was the mission mode that blew my mind, up to then I'd only seen the 'fight everyone once' style of single player modes for vs fighters.  And the intro.
  • The sales pitch was ‘Tekken with big swords’. It couldn’t fail really.
  • I'd rather they put the PSone Classics on the PS4 store, and of course make it b/c so if we already purchased one on PS3 it will be free to d/l on our PS4s.

JonB wrote:
    seeing stuff like Jumping Flash and Wild Arms already mentioned when it's only a 20 game list doesn't bode well. Not that those are bad, but they're hardly the real classics. The lack of analogue also rules out Gran Turismo.

Agreed, they feel more like filler than headliners.

Good point on GT to.

Have none of you put GTA on your lists?

edit: Just looked back at the first page, fair play @Wookienopants
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A list-me-do you say?

Zero chance of most of this lot appearing:

Everybody's Golf 2
    Kurushi Final,
    Kula World,
    Raiden DX,
    Gradius Gaiden,
    Harmful Park,
    In The Hunt,
    Power Diggerz,
    Parappa The Rapper,
    Bishi Bashi Special.
    RType Delta,
    Einhander,
    Buster Bros Collection,
    Tempest X3,
    Castlevania Chronicles & SOTN,
    Devil Dice,
    G-Darius,
    Landmaker,
    Mr Domino,
    Ridge Racer 4,
    Wipeout 3SE,
    Turnabout,
    Xevious 3D/G+
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, I’ll tell you what would make me bite:

Point Blank
    Point Blank 2
    As many Time Crises as you can offer.
    Two working light guns.
  • I was going to post something similar earlier.  I'd take Virtua Cop 1&2 over those, but would definitely pay for a working lightgun box.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ll take Virtua Cop as well as those, plus House of the Dead, plox.
  • Stop dreaming lads, HDTV's killed the lightgun.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Stop dreaming lads, HDTV's killed the lightgun.

Wii brought it back for a while.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Stop dreaming lads, HDTV's killed the lightgun.

It was moving away from CRTs wot did it rather than the definition, but this cannot be an insurmountable problem. It just can’t.
  • The games would have to be completely recoded to work on modern TVs.

The glory days of Time Crisis 2, and Point Blank are gone.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely the hardware can cover this?

There is actually a light gun setup you can buy for modern TVs, it includes a Wii-style sensor bar and should let you run light guns with MAME files. I’m not sure how solid the tech is, though.

Edit: this thing https://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html
  • I gave up hope on the return of light guns after the fun but not 1:1 Wii era poprock mentioned.

Thinking more about the missing 15 games, one game from any of the following franchises seems likely...

Rayman
    Crash Bandicoot
    Croc
    Spyro
    Need for Speed
    Driver
    Resident Evil
    Tomb Raider
    MGS
    Destruction Derby
    Wipeout
    Tony Hawks
    GTA
    Syphon Filter
    Medal of Honor
    Cool Boarders
    Twisted Metal
    Castlevania
    Silent Hill
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • My PS1 is in a box somewhere so if I ever want to see how badly it's aged I can always just plug it in.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Surely the hardware can cover this? There is actually a light gun setup you can buy for modern TVs, it includes a Wii-style sensor bar and should let you run light guns with MAME files. I’m not sure how solid the tech is, though. Edit: this thing [url=https://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html
    https://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html[/quote[/url]]

If its anything like the Wii it won't be 1:1 and you'll need a rectile on screen to aim.

It's just not the same unfortunately.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Didn't the Mega Drive light gun work like the that, too?

Anyway, they'd need to reprogram the PS1 games to work that way, so it won't happen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!