Han Solo Movie Spoilers
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I enjoyed it as well. The spinoff films are doing a great job of fleshing the universe out but not shitting on the legacy.

Rogue one did this not so much ... Han Solo coolest name in the SWU then turns out he was named because he was on his own ? Like solo ? Really? Even the
    Kessel Run? The card game where he wins the falcon wanked away the pair of them
    The Forum Herald™
  • This film absolutely shits on the legacy. You can’t get too worked up about this stuff as we live in a world where this exists.
    giphy.gif

So it’s not like it was exactly sancrosanct even before Disney got their greedy mitts on the property. It fucks Han as a character though, if your treating these films as some form of canon, instead of bumf. He’s a nice guy all the way through this film. Then he pulls off the job and spends a couple of scenes telling everyone how badass he is. No reason for him to turn like that, no evidence that he actually does. There’s negligible link between the jaded cynical arsehole of ANH and this happy-go-lucky chancer. He gives a fortune away to those rebels. 

I get that the twists and betrayals and a few things said in the film are supposed to tell you why he goes a bit bad. It doesn’t seem to affect him much at the time though.

Also the more they tell, the more it ruins. ANH Han has seen it all, been all over the galaxy, got into a million scrapes etc. By the end of this film he's been to about three planets and then he's on his way to begin working for Jabba, possibly for the job that gets him in trouble at the beginning of ANH. Anyway, all this has probably been said and, like I said, I was expecting worse.
  • This ^^

Similar to hearing About the clone wars and then seeing them.

The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Who gives a crap about canon? They're just movies. This was a poor movie.
  • Because it retrospectively ruins the classics
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m pretty sure that the classics are the same today as they were before you ever watched Solo.
  • You say that yoss and that maybe for you.

But if I watch ANH now the magic of meeting solo, the kessle rum etc etc are all slightly less intoxicating by being explained slightly rubbishly
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You really shouldn’t have watched Solo if you were running that risk.
  • Makes no difference to the original trilogy whatsoever.

The worst thing about the new films is Luke finding a parlour trick a little taxing.
  • Let’s agree to leave it there before I have to say you’ve Yossed it, you say i don’t know what to it means and everyone tells us to get a room.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Skondo wrote:
    Makes no difference to the original trilogy whatsoever.

The worst thing about the new films is Luke finding a parlour trick a little taxing.

I’m Simon Pegg in spaced and your the kid asking for a jar jar action figure.

You weren’t there
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm with Yoss.
    The prequels are utter dogshite. They have no bearing on my enjoyment of the originals. Same here.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm with Bob. I'll not hear his name without being reminded of how he got it and cringing like fuck. You can't unknow such a thing, and you can't help it if you have a negative reaction to it. How anyone thought it needed an explanation is utterly beyond me.
  • Skondo wrote:
    Go to bed Bob.

If it doesn’t bother you that’s fine I’m just expressing my opinion and I thought that might be fine too
    The Forum Herald™
  • You're on a hiding to nothing if you're precious about Star Wars. I am not and I agree the main problem is that Solo is bad. But lines of dialogue chucked into an old movie shouldn't have origin stories. If you watch those old films, and hear that dialogue then it's not left to your imagination, or to serve some quick purpose of explaining why this guy is doing the thing he's doing. Now, when that guys says that thing I'll think of the underwhelming depiction of it in a film I didn't like.
  • Thing is why make it an origin story? Han is the coolest character in the universe and surely there should’ve been hundreds of cool stories without going the origin route
    The Forum Herald™
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Anybody who thinks that sequels have no effect on enjoyment of the original films can't have much invested in them. Star Wars is a perfect example. The only upside is that the prequels ruined the originals so much that these new ones can't do much damage anymore.
  • Bob wrote:
    Skondo wrote:
    Go to bed Bob.

If it doesn’t bother you that’s fine I’m just expressing my opinion and I thought that might be fine too

Well you did originally, as did I, but then as usual you had to be a twat.
  • Kow wrote:
    Anybody who thinks that sequels have no effect on enjoyment of the original films can't have much invested in them. Star Wars is a perfect example. The only upside is that the prequels ruined the originals so much that these new ones can't do much damage anymore.

Well there is that.

Still apparently Disney are going to slow down with the new movies.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Finally got round to seeing this last night, and boy, they don't make 'em like they used do, do they?

I mean there's a couple of things that stick in my galactic sized craw about this latest addition to the 'franchise':

Why exactly did Thandie Newton blow herself up on that bridge?, if not for the fact that her character must have polled badly with some early focus screen test groups? What a waste.

If this was supposed to tell the story of Solo and his relationship with Lando that goes 'way back', why is that paired-up screen time reduced to two tensionless card games and a few jaunts in the Falcon?  Instead we get Woody as the gnarled space scoundrel who teaches our boy a trick or two. Where was the buddy space road movie trip?  I swear at one point, doesn't Lando fuck off in the Falcon and leave them to it at the refinery?  For a movie that promised to reveal the history of Han and how him and Lando hit it off, it seems more bent on introducing a slew of 2D characters (Bettany's bungled crimelord and Dragon lady love interest) and reducing Lando to a guy who has a cape fetish.  How did this guy end up running Cloud City?

I had long reconciled myself to the fact that this was going to be another duff Star Wars movie (as if anyone but Ford could play Solo!), but at least we'd get more stuff to flesh out the universe. Instead all we got was a completely jarring conscription-based Empire footsoldier slog ( Stormtroopers or gtfo!), a robot that looked as if the voiceover  had been done in a recording room without letting the poor actress see even raw footage of the scenes her character was supposed to be in, and Chewie reuniting with his tribe in a scene that was reminiscent of the infamous 'Holiday Special

Rogue One still remains the best of a bad bunch. Solo was soporific.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge who played the droid probably wouldn’t have been watching footage to do voiceover seeing as she was on-set in a motion-capture suit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I still think she was the best thing in the film.
  • I don't think they got the robot's voice entirely right with Rogue either, despite me liking the actor who did that role also. They both fall short of Anthony Daniels anyway and unfortunately for them, that's the standard both of them are going to be judged by. But out of all the droids, Solo had by far the biggest sense of disconnect between voice and actual physical appearance.

I wouldn't have minded so much if Solo had been as offensively bad as say TLJ, but it failed to provoke even that level of reaction as it was so bland and forgettable.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Clearly the original films Lucas sketched a lot of back story in very lightly. In trying to make these things things it’s only ever going to disappoint.

They should focus on entirely new stories
    The Forum Herald™
  • I loved Rogue One. This was shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!