SPOOOOKKKYYY gaming
  • I’m really struggling to think of a game that’s not a horror game that I found unsettling.

Guess I haven’t played many games lately :(
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Someone mentioned Ecco being unsettling - I found Super Metroid to create a similar sensation. The sense of isolation - especially when the game's background music was quieter.

Slightly more obvious - Doom 64 - is deliberately so because of the soundtrack. It left quite an impression on me - esp. played with the lights off - when it was a contemporary game.  I find it to be still effective.

Also - the first time I entered the Dark World in Link to the Past. Was transformed into a rabbit and had to use the mirror to get back. The feeling of relying on a single object to return you to normality. Just created an odd feeling.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Difficult for a non-horror game to be unsettling. Is Last of Us considered horror? Cos that had unsettling bits.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Minecraft can get really fucking scary once you start decending into a massive cave system. My fave part of that game I think. Also the Nether is so much WTF.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Darkwood looks creepy as fuck and as such it'll be my Halloween game
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Difficult for a non-horror game to be unsettling. Is Last of Us considered horror? Cos that had unsettling bits.

We’ve listed a bunch!
  • Is Alien: Isolation considered horror? Truly the scariest gaming experience ever for me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Those insta-deaths and woeful checkpointing shat me up too.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Slightly more obvious - Doom 64 - is deliberately so because of the soundtrack. It left quite an impression on me - esp. played with the lights off - when it was a contemporary game.  I find it to be still effective.

Seconded. I remember one level, which I had cleared of demons. I just needed to find the exit. Through a window I could see the Martian desert, and the Earth hanging in the sky. Coupled with the ambient noise of the map, it was sobering. I am utterly alone on this planet, everything is trying to kill me, and no one on Earth knows I'm here.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Those insta-deaths and woeful checkpointing shat me up too.

That and the cheating AI on the alien. Still a solid 9/10.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Thief series proper spooky.  Also Limbo and American McGee's Alice back in the day.  Shadowman?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Both Blackwood Crossing and The Last Days of June for their sense of foreboding and downright sadness.  I knew what was coming but it needed to not.  Both made me cry.
  • The sense of isolation and the weather and scenery in red dead redemption could create some sombre moods, especially the plotline with the man in the black suit.

Also had a nice moment in far cry 3. Took the hanglider to the highest pointand flew as far as i could just to see how far the game would let me go. The weather had darkened and was raining and when i crashed into the water the whole scene was quite unsettling as there was no island to view. And then the sharks came....
    SFV - reddave360
  • It was often heavy handed, but there were a few sections of Hellblade that succeeded in being unsettling.  I'll second the Oxenfree shout, although I'd struggle to pinpoint why.  It definitely wasn't the 'weird stuff is actually happening now' scenes that did it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Amnesia: Dark Descent. Playing in the dark with headphones on is a genuinely scary experience.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The original May Payne with those nightmare sequences. The crying baby sound effects, blimey.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Thief series proper spooky.  Also Limbo and American McGee's Alice back in the day.  Shadowman?
    If only for this piece of music:
  • Greggorys horror show.

Been playing it recently and it's damn weird, hard and unsettling!
  • JonB wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    If only for this piece of music:

Oh my god, I loved Shadowman! Had forgotten all about it!

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The dark forest level in Plok has some fabulous lighting and creates an eerie atmosphere.

Also papers please is pretty decent horror through bureaucracy
  • Mirror's Edge's weirdly uninhabited environments can be quite spooky. Makes me feel like a lost soul running through some kind of parallel limbo universe, being chased by annoying police spirits, never able to reach or interact with the ghostly pedestrian figures moving at ground level.
  • Also papers please is pretty decent horror through bureaucracy

Yaasss. Good shout this.

Also whoever recommended Inside earlier as well, really eerie atmosphere and one of the best ending sections of a game ever.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The opening few moves in x-com/x-com 2 when you don't know when the enemy will show up is often tense. And I really liked the fishing village with the dead whale. When the shit goes down in that one, it's panic mode and quite scary.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And then you realise it's RNG out the arse and it's not worth ya time
  • If you’re bad
  • Some of the Hive bits of Destiny 1/2 can be quite spoopy, especially when it's pitch black and you've just got your torch
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • And then you realise it's RNG out the arse and it's not worth ya time

Nah, I wouldn't be surprised if there is small bit of deception with the percentages going on, but i was able to master it so it cant be too random.

That level is a killer though. Once you know what to expect it's not too bad but on first play through its a squad killer. I think on first play through I lost 3 of my better soldiers.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    If you’re bad

am a good gamer tyvm my dad says im the best
  • PT demo on ps4, i still have it. That was scary.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Is Alien: Isolation considered horror? Truly the scariest gaming experience ever for me.

still not finished it. wish pc hack (keep alien in a vent) was available for ps4. very atmospheric game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!