GoTY 2018
  • regmcfly wrote:
    As *cough* I mentioned in this month's edge, I think this year has seen significantly fewer "bad games than previously. I have a top 10 that's bursting, but am struggling with worst game of the year apart from a locked in number 1.

Just read this. I’m afraid it just echos the sentiment some of us write in the ‘worst games’ thread every year. The ‘worst games’ thread never contains the worst games, or even particularly bad games, because - for the most part - we are consumers with limited time and money, and little tolerance for spending our time playing rubbish.

One need only take a cursory glance at the virtual marketplaces to know that there is no reduction in the number of truly terrible games coming out. It’s unlikely there ever will be. But they don’t stand a chance in the ‘worst game’ thread because nobody here (‘cept maybe Moot) will play them.

And so it is the case that the list is reduced to ‘the worst thing I’ve played’. Your letter cites Mario Tennis Aces and State of Decay 2 as though there’s any difference in the quality of games being nominated this year as opposed to other years. There isn’t.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    It certainly gets sacred cow of the year award.
    Nah, it's received plenty of criticism within the thread.
    I mean as in people saying they actually don't like it without getting told off by someone here.

It's certainly happened before - Dark Souls springs to mind and I'm sure I was guilty there - it's just one of those that gets a following and people feel very protective about.

FTR I've nothing to say about the game itself, just amused by some of the responses to someone saying they weren't into it.

Who got told off for not liking it? I can't remember that happening to anyone, but then again I can't remember the Dark Souls thing with reg either.

For what it's worth I see more people shitting on it when anyone mentions something positive, like Muzzy did on the last page, or even more bizarrely shitting on it when nobody mentions it, like Bob does everywhere.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye I should stop being a knob about it really. Horses for courses really and I didn't even give it a fair ride.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Who got told off for not liking it?

Chalice left the forum over SoT disagreements, but there was a bit more to it than just him not liking it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    He didn't like we were liking it.  

It's not for everyone but if you're a social nerd, there's a lot to like. Hence my GOTY vote.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is social nerd an oxymoronic term?
    I bounced off Dark Souls fairly early on, knew it was not for me and the aesthetic and lore didn't do anything for me either, and was summarily told to git gud or something. It's not really worth remembering.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Is social nerd an oxymoronic term?

Indeed. Call it a subset of a gaming forum for those of distinguished taste. 

Noxymoran?
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm just gonna tell everyone now my goty is the Torna expansion for Xenoblade 2 because it's a standalone thing as well and it lets me atone for my sins in not finishing Xenoblade and voting for it in 2017. This will not change no matter how good anything else is.
    I am tempted by it, liked the first one but it went on a bit (to say the least) and didn’t get the second. How many hours did it take you?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • God of war
    Assassins creed: odyssey
    Far cry 5
    The Forum Herald™
  • So Bob likes waypoint markers and maps with lots of icons on them. Got it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Presumably you won’t be voting for 4za then?
  • I think it’s something to do with the amount of time I have but I have complained about the gaminess of them ..

To be fair god of war should clean up in any year it’s an amazing piece of digital entertainment...

AC:O ... Just has that classic 30 Second loop that edge talk about .. there’s always something to see or do that’s rewarding you even though you know it’s the same as what you’ve been doing for the last 60 hours.

I’ve left the last two slots for Indy shit.
    The Forum Herald™
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'm just gonna tell everyone now my goty is the Torna expansion for Xenoblade 2 because it's a standalone thing as well and it lets me atone for my sins in not finishing Xenoblade and voting for it in 2017. This will not change no matter how good anything else is.
    I am tempted by it, liked the first one but it went on a bit (to say the least) and didn’t get the second. How many hours did it take you?

The Torna expansion is about 20 hours, which had me ludicrously overlevelled for the ending fight and I also did ever side quest because they're good.
  • Tetris Effect is certainly going to be up there.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Bob wrote:
     I’ve left the last two slots for Indy shit.

You're a bit late, wasn't Fate of Atlantis released in about 93?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's the new regime, Quest. Anything goes.
  • JonB wrote:
    Tetris Effect is certainly going to be up there.
    Yeeees
  • Same. Although I’m gonna get VR before passing full judgement on its greatness.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I haven’t played it without vr yet.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    The Torna expansion is about 20 hours, which had me ludicrously overlevelled for the ending fight and I also did ever side quest because they're good.
    Cheers, might add it to my pile of shame
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Red Dead 2 is my GOTY.

Then Everdell, Sea of Thieves (That Meg night probably catapults this to close second, one of the best nights in MP videogames ever for me) , Forza Horizon 4, Spiderman and Donut County in whatever order, they're all really great.

Don't normally participate in this but I feel it's a really strong year and I have teh feels about all of the above.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What's Everdell?
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Red Dead 2 is my GOTY.

Then Everdell, Sea of Thieves (That Meg night probably catapults this to close second, one of the best nights in MP videogames ever for me) , Forza Horizon 4, Spiderman and Donut County in whatever order, they're all really great.

Don't normally participate in this but I feel it's a really strong year and I have teh feels about all of the above.

What's the Meg?
  • I assumed that FH4 would easily be my GotY, but I’ve been thoroughly enjoying Tetris Effect, so it’s going to be a close run thing.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Where's waldo?

Edit: Damn you prime!
    SFV - reddave360
  • Frosty wrote:
    What's the Meg?

A shit film with Jason Statham is what it is.
  • What's Everdell?

Probably autorcorrect or something from Dead Cells?
  • Or Frantic's decided the new rules extend to cover board games.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It is a boardgame. It's just game of the year, it's one of my games of the year. So nerr.

Meg is the big shark in Sea of Thieves.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!