The office gaming tourney thread
  • Had a few office gaming sessions over the last few months, always find it helps unite a team. Well played for organizing, Davy!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some MAME freestyle gaming took place on Friday in an apres office party thing. Laptop and projector as usual.

RType was a hit. Has one guy getting a pi and usb stick "for the kids".

Christmas Tetris competition will be happening this week. Usual formula - 2 player versus - first to 25 lines with garbage attacks on. Played on the SNES.

Brought SF2 Turbo and RType III carts in as well.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Switch Puyo Puyo one is ace.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Puzzle games can split opinion. Puyo is the better game but can be challenging and looks like luck to casuals.  Baku Baku on Saturn was a big hit when I tried it.
  • Puyo Puyo vs Tetris but.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye - that's a game I'm hankering after. Haven't moved to this gen though yet. That and Tetris Effect look great.
  • It's great. Didn't get a look in for the first year but now it's a staple.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Office Gaming League will be springing back to life over the next couple of weeks.

There was some big talk of being able to complete 1942 back in the day during a teabreak last week - so a high score challenge is being organised for that. MAME+laptop+360 Hori Stick+projector.

Traditional SNES Tetris race to 25 knockout format will also be organised.

EDIT: 1942 contest was hot. I topped out at 299K but was surpassed last day by a guy who refound his form - put in a 350K just at the right time. It ran for several days and was an enjoyable event with plenty of entrants.

Tetris was bounced due to complications / logistics.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm trying to bring this back - in remote form.

Will be interesting. This isn't just PSN/XBL remember - this was about a certain type of 2 player versus game or score challenge to keep the casuals-mid tier interested. Our hardcore FPS bods aren't interested.

Easy to pick up style of game - plenty of examples at the start of the thread.

Challenge is accessibilty - so a PC or Mac will be required - I'm going to sway to the PC side as it seems more likely.

So with respect to Tetris there is the remarkable Nulpomino which works on Mac and WIndows. It features online play so I'm going to mess about with that and see how that works. It offers a line race mode which is what I used in the office.

But the real action is going to be emulation/net based. There are several options for MAME

Fightcade is supposed to be great for MAME.

Kaillera is an attractive option because it also has megadrive, snes and 2600 emulator support!!

Has anyone any experience messing about with this stuff?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!