Apex Legends - Battle Royale by Respawn (OP updated with players)
  • Grinding to unlock characters is what annoyed me, especially with how few characters there were to begin with.

I actually thought they did a decent job with the character unlock costs. Doable in normal play sessions and not too pricey for people that wanted to access them straight away (or just support the game).

There really should have been a few more characters to choose from at launch though. I know balance is always gonna be an issue when abilities are involved, but they've shown they've got a real good feel for it. So far.
  • Hmm.

Tried the Legendary Hunt LTM. On loading up, people who've made it to level 15 of the premium Battle Pass get a new R-301 and Wraith skin. They're not bad.

For everyone else there's a bare handful of uninspired challenges to complete during the event to unlock a couple of okay recoloured skins for Bloodhound and I don't even remember which gun.

The actual event then. The new Elite queue rewards teams that finish top 5 by dropping you into an entire server of top 5 finishers for your next game. Die before you get top 5 again and you're back with the plebs. It's a really nice idea, but the remaining players are generally so good that I couldn't tell the difference between the regular queue and the Elite queue.

So yeah, it's still just Apex. It's a great game but it's a small game and it's very easy to burn out on. Don't expect anything to rekindle you interest if you're one of those that left. Not only that, but the challenges are so dull that it's making me worry a little about the upcoming Season 2 Battle Pass. 

Nevertheless, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Season 2 trailers are go! After a couple of weeks off I'm really looking forward to getting back to this on Tuesday.  The Fortnite style evolving map and story complete with a limited time map event look very cool, and skydiving emotes are the perfect useless cosmetic addition that I can't wait to get hold of. 

• Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Does anyone still play this on PC?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I never see anyone playing it on PS4 either.  

If anyone was thinking about getting back into it, now's a pretty good time.  S2's seen a whole lotta weapon buffs to the point that the P2020 and Mozambique are actually useable and the Alternator might be the best regular gun in the game, so now you're always gonna have the ability to win a fight on landing, irrespective of what weapon you get.  The new L-Star is stupidly OP and I can see it getting a considerable nerf at some point, but in the meantime make the most of it.  It's a genuine game winner. 

The storm changes have had a massive effect on the game as well.  You can't ignore the storm, carry on looting, get in a fight or three, and still get out.  The storm will kill you.  At every stage.  This all means the mid-game feels busier as everyone's moving to stay ahead of the storm, which is a fine thing. 

As for the legends, Mirage had a buff to his invisibility and he's now a deviously sneaky flanking fucker, and Watson brings a whole new dynamic to fights for the more defensive minded players.  

Then there's the map changes.  Respawn have gone the Fortnite evolving map route rather than just adding a new map, and they've done a decent job of it.  We've got Leviathans stomping around the place, destroyed structures, plenty of new buildings, and even entirely new PoI's. 

I gotta say the new Battle Pass and challenges don't do anything for me, but I've no doubt they'll add a bit of spice for many.  

Overall it's still the best BR out there, and it just got a little better.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, I've bought an adaptor to bring my PS4 upstairs as I've a few mates who play on PS4.  PSNId is SubAxe so feel free to hit me up if you see me playing over the next week.
  • Cool. A friend of mine is still pretty addicted on PS4 so I should get back to it.
  • Had a good run with this yesterday, 6 wins overall and almost every game (even when we lost) was fast paced and high kill.

And srsly, make getting an Alternator with the new Disruptor rounds hop-up for increased damage vs shields a priority. Shit, get two Alternators. Play mobility characters. Set aggression to max. Job's a good'un.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Back on this morning and fuck people are getting really good at it
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I had a few hours on ranked last night and almost at Bronze 3.  I tried getting an Alternator with the hop-up but my luck with the guns was atrocious.  I'm also a little salty that my first ranked game didn't give me any points and it was a win with 7 kills.  That's almost halfway to Bronze 3 right there.

It's also a lot easier on PS4 than PC.
  • Can anyone recommend a lesser-known drop spot with decent loot?

It seems like everywhere I land I have to fight within 10 seconds.
  • The drop zone scramble is one of my favourite things about the game, unless you loot two buildings and don't find a gun then get killed by someone who landed on a peacekeeper and purple armour, then it sucks. 

When we've forgotten to drop and options are limited, I've found that group of buildings south east of Thunderdome to be as quiet and decent for loot as you'll get from a no-name location.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    You don't really find decent loot in any of the out of the way places. At least not enough to kit a 3 stack and I find that you then run into the problem of having to run to the circle with poor loadouts.

My general plan is land and get enough together to be about 40-50% of the way to a decent kit and then start hunting for chumps to slap up for the rest.

Having said that, usually well over half the squads drop before you're halfway over the island so if you're annoyed at hot drops, just wait it out a little and pick somewhere on the second half of the island.  Thunderdome and Skull Town are also my go-to-spots, especially for warm-ups.
  • Game is brutal, lucky to get 1 kill a week. I hear what you are saying but always get beat down before I get tooled up. Hell of a game, luv it.
  • I've stopped playing. Trying to play ranked with randoms is infuriating.
  • Haven't touched ranked. There's enough salt in my diet as it is.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Made some Advanced Controls changes and my aim in this is way better now. I still suck but at least I’m not spraying and praying as much as I used to.

Having a regular squad to play with has made this one of my most played games in ages.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Interesting.  I'm usually terrible for changing default settings.  I'm way more active on PS4 these days.  Funnily enough because I bought a decent monitor that can take an hdmi cable!

Looking forward to playing some solos?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't post in this thread but I usually play 3-4 matches a day on Xbox. Really interested in solos, think it's going to turn the drop zone scramble into absolute fucking chaos.
  • Solos?
    When is solos for this I may be back!
  • 13th to 27th August.  Honestly, I can't see it being a patch on the regular game (designed specifically for team play with a shit-load of synergy potential), even if you're queuing with randoms.

But hey, if people want it then s'all good.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, launches at 1800 today.  I'm looking forward to it purely because I don't always have a team ready so interested to see how well I do on my own.
  • Watching some pretty big name Twitch streamers coming back to Apex for solo's after months away and getting absolutely destroyed.  Kinda funny, if entirely predictable.
  • Played 5 solo matches and did very poorly. Didn't expect to miss the team mates as much as I did but I'm gonna keep plugging away as I need the practice.

The pricing on the new event loot boxes is *chef kiss*

700 paid currency coins instead of the usual 100 per box and two of the three items are guaranteed to be two sets of 15 crowns. Then the icing on the your very expensive cake is the 3500 coin heirloom item you get the privilege of buying after you've bought enough of the boxes to get all 24 event items. PC Gamer reports that as $35.
  • Simply selling loot boxes in your game is a shit move (plenty of other FtP's do just fine from direct purchases), but a 700% increase in price for event specific loot boxes is next level scumbaggery.

Say you want that cool new Gibby skin, if it doesn't drop 'til the last box that's a cost of $160 (or more, that's the discounted price for bulk purchases).

I kinda feel dirty playing this now.
  • Is apex legends still the online shooter of choice for the masses or is something else starting to take hold?
  • You misspelled fortnite
  • Aye, nothing comes close to Fortnite for numbers.  

Apex is still popular but those crazy initial player numbers fell off after the first few months.  

CS:GO is still stupidly popular. R6 Siege and Overwatch (less a shooter though) are both still doing the business. Would imagine the various CoD's and Battlefields are still pretty populated as well. Destiny 2's currently seeing more players than it has since the early days, but I know most of that is due to the ongoing turnaround of the PvE side of the game.
  • Titanfall 2 is the best though. Obviously.
  • Y'know, I reckon Destiny 2 could be the PvP dark horse of the year.

The Crucible is currently a unbalanced mess of poor design choices, but with its upcoming rework for October's Shadowkeep expansion and the Y1 game (including Crucible) going FtP, it could draw in a lot of new players. I mean, irrespective of anything else, Bungie gunplay is fucking glorious.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!