Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • Burger is a contraction of hamburger. Hamburger is still the form factor.

Also the hamburger icon is just the 3 lines, the Guardian have added a circle as extra.
  • Strictly speaking a Hamburger is a minced beef steak.
    I would be fine if the people of Hamburg or anyone else wanted to claim it as a protected thing, but that would have to be claimed against any and all things that violate it, not just veggie stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Burger is a very generic term. If you can have a hamburger, beefburger, chicken burger and a fish burger i cant see how it could be illegal to call something a veggie burger.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Do you seriously think marketing has that great an effect on our food choices?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I think food marketing has a greater effect on our food choices than most would be happy to admit or even realise.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I think food marketing has a greater effect on our food choices than most would be happy to admit or even realise.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Then how's that remedied? That's the problem.

It's far more intractable than the likes of smoking. For example, even with all the controls put in place to pacify the tobacco industry, it appears to be growing (doubling down in markets that are resistant to anti - tobacco sentiment... i.e. China).

I've been naive to the meat industry... It's not like I've had the most poignant epiphany or anything, but I've only just come to realise just how ignorant it is to eat in the fashion that the majority of us omnivores do.

On many levels, what we're doing is pretty fucked up. I think the animal compassion component alone, for me, is an adequate reason to change... I mean, I know many of you dudes are brazen atheists, but religion did make clear from the start how wrong it is to not respect the creatures we prey on...

But then, say we change overnight, and address the amount of land we provide for rearing domesticated animals... Immediately, that will fuck with the quantity of land available for growing veg, you'd also have to consider how you control the population of those animals, and food prices will increase, while stock will decrease (for all foods, right?)...

I'm putting aside my thoughts on classic arguments over AGW here, but I think many of the 97% of scientists (or whatever that figure was), agree that agricultural economics is a far bigger problem than the oil industry...

But where the fuck would you start?

Rationing?
  • I don’t think meat is the only problem. Agriculture at scale is having a huge impact. Cattle can convert grass to milk and meat. But most cattle are fed on grains and other shite that means the whole process has a bigger environmental impact.

This seems a pertinent read.

https://collegeofmedicine.org.uk/patrick-holden-were-paying-for-cheap-food-with-our-health-and-our-planet/
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    I don’t think meat is the only problem.

People have forgotten how to cook and eat well because food production has dictated they don't need to because meat is so cheap. Peasant food is the best food because it's about maximising flavour with humble ingredients. I'm talking about making stocks with bones and scraps and using that in other dishes that otherwise contain only vegetables. We've sacrificed convenience for taste even though fridges have never been so full.

Telly chefs will you that you can cook a meal in the same time as it takes to get a take away which is true, but it might be a bit shit and just as environmentally damaging. Yes it's possible but it's difficult. Both parents are working too hard for too long in the pursuit of economic growth and it's fucking everything up and they're passing it on to their kids.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Then how's that remedied? That's the problem. It's far more intractable than the likes of smoking. For example, even with all the controls put in place to pacify the tobacco industry, it appears to be growing (doubling down in markets that are resistant to anti - tobacco sentiment... i.e. China). I've been naive to the meat industry... It's not like I've had the most poignant epiphany or anything, but I've only just come to realise just how ignorant it is to eat in the fashion that the majority of us omnivores do. On many levels, what we're doing is pretty fucked up. I think the animal compassion component alone, for me, is an adequate reason to change... I mean, I know many of you dudes are brazen atheists, but religion did make clear from the start how wrong it is to not respect the creatures we prey on... But then, say we change overnight, and address the amount of land we provide for rearing domesticated animals... Immediately, that will fuck with the quantity of land available for growing veg, you'd also have to consider how you control the population of those animals, and food prices will increase, while stock will decrease (for all foods, right?)... I'm putting aside my thoughts on classic arguments over AGW here, but I think many of the 97% of scientists (or whatever that figure was), agree that agricultural economics is a far bigger problem than the oil industry... But where the fuck would you start? Rationing?

Everything you say here is perfectly reasonable.

In fact, going on your AGW remarks I think there is a fine distinction to be made. Categories which I would include are:

* AGW skeptic, with behaviour that would contribute to greater AGW
    * AGW skeptic, with neutral behaviour
    * AGW skeptic, who behaves as so as to ameliorate it anyway
    * Neutral
    * AGW convinced, who behaves to ameliorate it
    * AGW convinced, with neutral behaviour
    * AGW convinced, with counterprodctive hypocritical behaviour.

The harmful positions are the first and last, and you dont fit in there. So functionally, even if your opinions are contrary to AGW if it is real, you conscience should be clean if your actions aren't harmful.

And I'd say this as someone who probably falls in the last category here, to my shame.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Beyond all the other platitudes I can commit to a post, there are so many immediately demonstrable benefits to environmentally conservative governance, that I wonder why so much time is wasted browbeating people over AGW.

I think I've maintained that same position from the start, though admittedly pushed a few uncomfortable questions, as I felt (and still feel) they're worth asking.

But I agree on so many of the (possibly) remedial ideas, that I wonder why (the idea of) AGW is so central to championing them.

Anyway, I feel that starting with food and agriculture is probably an undervalued idea... 
    It's the biggest of all environmental problems, but it's also the most obvious and easiest problem to share. 

Which is important, because if there's one thing environmentalism (as it's currently framed) stinks off, it's exclusivity.
  • Plant more trees, cultivate more sea grass, save more energy, design better houses and water saving.

Not hard in isolation but certainly on global scale.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's what the URL says, but not what the article says
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Maybe? It keeps saying it’s the hottest June on record, it may be that the previous hottest June was the hottest month ever.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe? But the article seems very carefully phrased to suggest not that, vs slightly clickbait URL. (obvs not total clickbait given we're fucked and it's still bad news!)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anchorage hit 32°C :-O
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Some good news at least, an actual, achievable way to combat climate change, plant a trillion trees.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jul/04/planting-billions-trees-best-tackle-climate-crisis-scientists-canopy-emissions
  • Tree planting 'has mind-blowing potential' to tackle climate crisis.

Rebuilding your house has mind-blowing potential to tackle the raging house fire you had.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not exactly climate change, and no idea about the veracity of the claims, but this piece on recycling vs landfill certainly raised a few points I’d never considered:

https://medium.com/@robertwiblin/what-you-think-about-landfill-and-recycling-is-probably-totally-wrong-3a6cf57049ce
  • Extinction Rebellion protesting in Bristol today, including outside of my work (not that I'm there). Broadly agree with everything that ER do, although I looked up the stats considering they were protesting my work.

War accounts for 5% of emissions, globally.... Soooooo not sure how worthwhile that protest is? Certainly in this country where I'm sure there are a lot higher emissions issues?

Ah well, I'm not back in office till they'll be gone anyway.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Bit warm innit? Fair play London badgers, drink lots of beer.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Way ahead of you.
  • I can’t sleep in this heat. Fucking 25 degrees at night, what is this madness?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Not looking forward to tomorrow, let alone Thursday.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I was in that London today. Bloody ridiculous heat. And the air con was broken on the train home.
  • In houses not built for it. Damn. Good luck folks.

Also, be careful with leaving food out.

Stuff goes bad in the heat real quick.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It was rough earlier. It hit 32 here according to accuweather but I'm also on the same road as the train station so at rush hour, with gridlock traffic, it was definitely hotter than that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I picked the right week to take off work to finish sorting out my boxes of crap in the flat. Not that I’ve managed to get a huge amount of box sorting done in the heat, but at least I’m not at work.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!