Science, it definitely still works bitches.

• https://www.wired.com/story/fukushima-robot-cleanup/

A fantastic read about the Fukushima clean up efforts.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's splendid pieces on the Chernobyl cleanup to be found online, There's a great piece on the new enclosure they built and slid (!) over the building a few years ago. Which includes infrastructure to support robots and cranes that will be taking out the fuel rods.

This is just a wee taster.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What some of those brave men did is amazing. I suppose celebrate is the wrong word but it'd be a fuckton worse without their sacrifice.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • An incredible feat of engineering
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Chinese had plants sprouting on the far side of the Moon at the turn of this year.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-04-14-china-tried-to-grow-cotton-on-the-moon.html
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    I haven't clicked the link, but did't they want to walk 1000 miles?

The article falls down early doors by acknowledging the ‘would’ in the lyrics, then immediately ignoring it and discussing it as though it happened. I know it’s a joke article, but it’s annoying.
  • davyK wrote:
    Chinese had plants sprouting on the far side of the Moon at the turn of this year.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-04-14-china-tried-to-grow-cotton-on-the-moon.html

Interesting read

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Chinese had plants sprouting on the far side of the Moon at the turn of this year. https://www.naturalnews.com/2019-04-14-china-tried-to-grow-cotton-on-the-moon.html
    Interesting read

They have an automated return mission planned in a year or two to bring back samples. Apparantly where the Apollo missions landed were atypical sites because they were around the equator. There's all sorts of stuff to be found elsewhere - including water by all accounts which makes a moon base more feasible.

They are still analysing old data from the Apollo sensors - recent reveal is there is still underground activity - moon quakes.

Check out this week's Sky At Night which is doing a couple of retrospective Apollo episodes over the Summer - that's how I found out about the Chinese efforts.
  • I can't wait for the day I get my cyber implants. Bring it on.

I also want laser fingers and a jet pack.
  • You wouldn't be able to pick anything up.
  • My robot wives would do that for me.
  • An array of musk robots is a chilling thought when they could be hacked to bend to his will.

Although there are already enough libertarian fuckos who do that already so maybe nothing will change.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • BBC News

Tardigrades: 'Water bears' stuck on the moon after crash

The moon might now be home to thousands of planet Earth's most indestructible animals.

Tardigrades - often called water bears - are creatures under a millimetre long that can survive being heated to 150C and frozen to almost absolute zero.

They were travelling on an Israeli spacecraft that crash-landed on the moon in April.

And the co-founder of the organisation that put them there thinks they're almost definitely still alive.

The water bears had been dehydrated to place them in suspended animation and then encased in artificial amber.

"We believe the chances of survival for the tardigrades... are extremely high," Arch Mission Foundation boss Nova Spivack said.

The Arch Mission Foundation keeps a "backup" of planet Earth - with human knowledge and the planet's biology stored and sent out to various solar locations in case of a life-ending event.

The "lunar library" - something resembling a DVD that contains a 30-million-page archive of human history viewable under microscopes, as well as human DNA - was being carried on the Beresheet robot lander.

And alongside them were dehyrdrated tardigrades - some in amber and some stuck on tape.

For most creatures there would be no coming back from being dehydrated - life without water is almost impossible.
    But water bears - which have another very cute nickname, moss piglets - are not most animals.

They can be brought back to life decades after being dehydrated.

Scientists have found that tardigrades have what seems almost like a super power.

When dried out they retract their heads and their eight legs, shrivel into a tiny ball, and enter a deep state of suspended animation that closely resembles death.

They shed almost all of the water in their body and their metabolism slows to 0.01% of the normal rate.

And if reintroduced to water decades later, they're able to reanimate.

All of that, plus the fact they became the first animal to survive in space back in 2007, made them a perfect candidate for Arch Mission's lunar library.

"Tardigrades are ideal to include because they are microscopic, multicellular, and one of the most durable forms of life on planet Earth," Nova said.

Even though the little moss piglets are likely to have survived the moon crash, it's very unlikely they'll be able to spring back to life without being reintroduced to water.

But it would theoretically be possible for the tardigrades to be collected, brought back to earth, reanimated, and studied to see the effects of being on the moon.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Wow! Aliens!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I for one welcome our new moss piglet overlords.
  • I haven't got a link to a site that isn't shit with spam and pop ups, but did anybody else see the Spanish scientists doing stuff with stem cells and mixing human and monkey. Sounds like they've had some success. (aim is to grow organs.)

Working out of China because of laxer ethics laws.

Could be dodge reporting of something mundane, but it sounded pretty out there.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'm still great and you still love it.
  • My dad had heart surgery today and I found the procedure he had absolutely amazing.

He has (or hopefully had) an issue with his heart where one half beat slower than the other causing heart flutters. This happens because at some point smaller coils have been created around the larger coil, or that is as far as I understand it.

Being quite a fit person and it being quite an unusual condition they asked if he would take part in a new procedure.

They went in through the groin, all the way up to his heart. In the past they would use acid to burn out the additional coils but this new procedure they freeze burn them which should leave no scarring on the heart, which is obviously a huge bonus.

That all went well. He went into surgery at 11:30am, was eating shepherds pie by 2:30pm and discharge by 6pm.

They also installed a chip below his chest muscle to monitor his heart. He has to wave a device over it once a month or in the event of pain/unusual heart beat and it automatically sends the data to a server for analysis. He will do that for a year before having it taken out.

I find the whole thing brilliant. It wouldnt have been that long ago that it either wouldnt have been treatable at all or would involve opening his chest up.

He didnt even have stitches.
  • That sounds amazing. Hope your old fella makes a full and speedy recovery.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cheers mate. He will if we can get him to actually stay still for 5 minutes.
  • My dad didn't get the chip, but had same op. Pretty nuts
  • How has he been since Face?
    If you dont mind me asking.
  • Fine.

He's been on a pretty darn healthy diet and lifestyle for a while anyway and my mum is borderline hypochondriac ex nurse, so he's well monitored.

He's 73, and I'll occasionally ask for handyman help and be reminded he's lost a step now and then, but he's got a good bunch of years ahead, I reckon.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    They also installed a chip below his chest muscle to monitor his heart. He has to wave a device over it once a month or in the event of pain/unusual heart beat and it automatically sends the data to a server for analysis. He will do that for a year before having it taken out.

Here, my Dad’s getting one of those fitted today!

His stays in for good, with a battery that’ll last two to three years. No waving a device over it, his implant Bluetooths to a satellite phone on his bedside table which uploads data to the hospital overnight.

Indistinguishable from magic, this stuff.
  • That's just fucking cool.
  • Cyber-Dads up in here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!