3. Dark Souls 3 (fight me more)
    4. Dark Souls 1
    5. Bloodborne 
    6. Kerbal Space Program
    7. Zelda BotW
    8. Portal 2
    9. Mario Maker 2
    10. Threes

Not sure that Kerbal really deserves to be called a great game, but I enjoy the shit out of it. I guess you could say the same for Destiny, but that's not on the list.

Probably forgot some games, but if they didn't leave that kind of impression maybe they don't deserve it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m gratified that I’m not the only person to mention Threes. It’s such a great game.
  • Jumped to the 8th page but Trials has to be the front runner right?
  • Well, first doesn't qualify, so there's that.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • First as in HD? Evo was so much better I'm not sure that matters?
  • Oooh I've just remembered Neo Scavenger, that's going on the list.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’m gratified that I’m not the only person to mention Threes. It’s such a great game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    voices wrote:
    1. Trials Rising (fight me) 2. Trials Evo

wtf lad phew
  • Threes is a super pure game. It doesn't quite work at the higher numbers, but it still pulls me back from time to time just in case I can get that super lucky run.
  • voices wrote:
    First as in HD? Evo was so much better I'm not sure that matters?

Sure. I dug first 2, nothing but love generally, but just pointing it out because it literally changed me from putting hd in 10th spot on my list.
  • Ah, I see. I'm not sure it would have made my top 10. Debating where minecraft should fall. I think maybe I'm happy with my list.
  • voices wrote:
    1. Trials Rising (fight me) 2. Trials Evo

wtf lad phew

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyone with less than nine genres in their list should be banned from the forum
  • Current shortlist:

NaissanceE
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    Total War: Warhammer II
    Inside
    Obduction
    Neo Scavenger

Decent array of genres there I reckon.
  • Oh, my, fucking god, Civilization V. Came out 21/10/10.
  • Some or most of the following. Probably. Halo: Reach - Love everything about that campaign. Destiny 2 - Flawless gunplay, incredible continued support. Titanfall 2 - First Person Shooter perfection. Portal 2 - First Person Puzzler perfection. Hotline Miami - Perfection. Borderlands 2 - Almost too much fun. Overwatch - Too many reasons to list. Mass Effect 2 - 'Cause there weren't enough 2's. Minecraft - A sandbox like no other. Minecraft - An extra mention because it deserves it. Srsly I've probably forgotten loads and will have a proper dig later, but these are the games that immediately jumped out. Did I mention Minecraft? Great game, that. Except it came out in 2009 so, fuck.

A few years ago my list would most likely have been half FPS and half indie shooters/platformers. These days however, 99% of my game time is spent playing with friends, so games like Celeste, Hollow Knight, and Nuclear Throne - which I adore - have never had the time dedicated to them that they require and deserve.  And so, the recent games included are making my list look a bit multiplayer heavy. But hey, it is what it is.

1. Mass Effect 2 - An epic and magical creation. BioWare really were master storytellers. 
    2. Destiny 2 - Coming back to this after the Forsaken expansion launched was one of the best decisions I've made regarding a game. The world building, the art direction, the gunplay, the quality and amount of content - all are of the highest tier. Here's to another 5 years. 
    3. Halo: Reach - Contrary to many on here I've never clicked with Bungie PvP, but I am all about their campaigns and general PvE content. When this came out nothing else got a look in. I played the campaign on an endless loop both solo and in co-op for months on end, and loved every minute of it. 
    4. Titanfall 2 - The only FPS campaign to rival Bungie Halo's for me, and as good an example of inventive gameplay mechanics harmoniously blended into a stunning whole as anything out there. Oh, and that multiplayer.
    5. Portal 2 - As funny as it was creative and a joy to play. A genuine GoaT. As is...  
    6. Hotline Miami - Y'all know.  
    7. Overwatch - I was out, I'd given up on the new generation and gaming in general, then Blizz go and launch this insanely fun and inventive multiplayer hero shooter and I had to come back. Whatever my opinion of the current state of the game, the fun I had and the friends I made over my thousands of hours spent in this guarantees it a place in any list.     
    8. Borderlands 2 - An absolute titan of a game. That it has such an active and dedicated fan base even after all these years says far more that I could in a few words. 
    9. Armello - The boardgame I wished for as a kid made reality as a videogame. So good it actually hurts. Play with friends in voice chat and with Discord DM's for next level shenanigans.  
    10. Don't Starve Together - A charming, deadly, adorable, gut wrenching survival game so finely crafted I care not a jot about any other survival game. And yes I do need a herd of 30 Koalefants thank you. And yes their snoring is very loud. And no you can't eat them, they're too cute when they toot! 

I've numbered the list for John's convenience, but honestly, I couldn't say which is my actual favourite game. You could muddle up the entire list a dozen times and every result would be as fair as the next.
  • We probably should have lists per genre of game. I dont play PvP, the last PvP I played was Overwatch with Stormy a few years ago. Just dont have the time. Whereas with single player games theres an end to the game and I can play on the sofa or in bed or on the loo.
  • Current shortlist, including guilty pleasures, in no order except for Dark Souls...
    1. Dark souls
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    No Man's Sky
    Elite Dangerous
    The Last of us
    Nier Automata
    Hotline Miami
    (Don't laugh) Transformers : War for/ Fall of Cybertron (Guilty pleasure, and mindlessly fun MP, and Transformers FFS)
    Titanfall 2
    Bad Company 2 (best late night drunk MP fun on PS3)
    Unfinished Swan/ Edith Finch (these really stuck with me)
    Dead Cells
    Soul Sacrifice (really, seriously flawed, but I just loved the design and the world building)
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Did you like the platinum transformers game? Not sure if I'd put it as a top tier game but it looked awesome and played really nicely (if somewhat confusing at times)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Think I'm happy with this...

1. Batman Arkham City - owned it on 360, ps3, wii U, PC and am now playing it on gamepass on xbone. That says it all for me. 

2. X-com: Enemy Within - I haven't been able to gel with the sequel but I loved Enemy Unknown and I feel Enemy Within adds enough to warrant it getting the nod. If not, I'd be happy to but EU in its place.

3. Mario Kart 8 - Switch version is best and has a Sega like beauty where the tech brings out the beauty. Plays so well, really a top game

4. Into the Breaches - Played it heavily on Switch and its now getting some PC love thanks to being on Gamepass. Lovely game, once you've gotten the knack of it the real fun of fighting the enemy using different styles is very engaging. Very addictive, a demon for one-more-go syndrom.

5. Red Dead Redemption - Like X-com, I haven't gelled with the sequel but RDR was a lovely bit of fun. I explored the hell of it and drank up the atmosphere. Rockstars best for me. 

6. Titanfall 2 - Everyone says Splatoon is how Nintendo did FPS but I think Titanfall 2s solo player would be if they included the violence. Every stage brings something new, its gorgeous and smooth and crucuially for a shooter it doesn't go on too long. I'm too late to the multiplayer scene but the games I have played have been great, chaotic fun.

7. Ori and the Blind Forest - Maybe because I'm a bit under exposed to this type of platform game but Ori hit a sweet spot for me. It looks and sounds gorgeous, the mythos around it was interesting and the game had the difficulty balanced just right for me.

8. Darksiders - Really not sure how I ended up with this game but I dug the Warhammer 40k design, the overpowered main character, Mark Hamills voice work and the overall world. It wore its influences a bit too much but I still really enjoyed it.

9. Forza Horizon 4 - I'd given up on racing games but FH4s felt just so bang on. I also love the English location. Beautiful in any season but the fact you have 4 is excellent. A real Surprise.

10. Far Cry 3 - Its not the best single player ever but I finished everything in this game and just loved exploring. Along with RDR, the Gameworld in itself was a separate game. Hunting animals, climbing every peak was wonderful and the graphics brought the location to life. At times it felt like a pretty pleasant summer holiday. 

Just missed out - COD MW 3, FM14 and SFV all got played loads but while I really enjoyed them (still do in SF Vs case) they are flawed in various forms. Mario Odyssey was also a highlight
    SFV - reddave360
  • The key to Ori being so good is the character control. If it were a stage to stage Meatboy type, rather than a Metroidvania, the way you can fling/glide/double jump Ori around the screen with such precision would make for an excellent game. Would welcome a separate challenge mode in the new one, Shovel Knight style.
  • Love you snuck darksiders in there. Made my long list. As did sequel.

• Would that be a good one to play now, if I'm looking for a 3D Zelda type (old template rather than BotW exploration)? The remastered editions are on gamepass. Meant to try it for years but never got round to it. Bit worried the combat will be clunky now though (although if I'm after a 3D Zelda type I suppose that's par for the course).
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Would that be a good one to play now, if I'm looking for a 3D Zelda type (old template rather than BotW exploration)? The remastered editions are on gamepass. Meant to try it for years but never got round to it. Bit worried the combat will be clunky now though (although if I'm after a 3D Zelda type I suppose that's par for the course).

Okami?? I wanna play that again but I don;t think my laptop will run the remastered steam version, might try the GC version instead
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I think so. I feel like I was playing it for first time when it was already old news. And it was still great.

Its basic claim to fame, across 2 games, was that it was pretty straightforward in making its various mechanics work.

It stole from everything and never got really clever (rule of 3 everywhere) but was just always solid. And the style and story cracked along nicely.

(minor wobble at the end, but it's fine.)

2nd has my fav weapon building ever.
  • Also, big shout to the demo of the first one. It was a slightly amended mid section and lasted 45 odd minutes.
  • Facewon wrote:
    It stole from everything and never got really clever (rule of 3 everywhere) but was just always solid. And the style and story cracked along nicely.

Solid Agree. Its not as good as a devil may cry but the combat is pretty damn good. its not as clever as Zelda but its pretty damn good. I want to give part 2 a go, I never shown to it in the same manner - I felt it had a little too much rpg elements in it and the game suffered from not having the watcher (or an equivilant)
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!