• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Why should one person quitting reflect badly on Labour or the Left as a whole?

I'm referring to the proposal to remove deputy leader. Arguing over points like that and party structure - reminiscient of the mad bad days. They need to get their heads right. It's like they are afraid of power.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That's still just 1 person though in Jon Lansman.

Obviously it's brought out the rent-a-quotes like Wes Streeting which has amplified it, but it doesn't appear to be some dastardly plot by Corbyn, just one dickhead abusing power.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Distractions the party can do without. I'm not a Corbyn fan - but there are aspects of his politics I agree with and I'd like him to be able to concentrate on the priority at hand which his being the opposition.
  • There was this same thing with Watson last year. Some part of the Corbyn side of the party came up with the idea of having a female co-leader ie getting Watson into a position where he can’t possibly disagree or he’s sexist. He made all the right noises about being supportive of the idea then the idea died when put to a vote (iirc).
  • It’s tricky. If you’re from one wing of the party and you think the wing in charge is leading everyone to disaster, do you speak up or what? Corbyn and McDonnell weren’t supportive of Blair, Brown, Miliband. Or had reservations or whatever. But the media paid little attention because they were just two nobodies.

Corbyn’s Brexit position is quite refined now. I’m broadly in favour. A guaranteed March referendum after a soft Brexit renegotiation is, possibly, decent enough to compete with Johnson’s No Deal, Brexit done and dusted by October.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Corbyn voted against the whip many a time when a backbencher. It's easy to protest when in the cheap seats.
  • Yeah, but isn't that the issue? Dissenting back benchers is one thing, a deputy leader not turning up to shadow cabinet meetings and actively organising against the leadership is potentially very damaging.

It's not unreasonable to want him out given the negative impact he could have in an election, but this was clearly a bad way to go about it.
  • So is this Thomas Cook collapse a dry run for the brexit consequences on freedom of movement?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • RBS and Lloyds can fuck off.
  • Unfortunately I think the writing was on the wall for Thomas Cook.
    Demanding money straight up isnt unreasonable as there is no reason to suggest TC would be much more than a zombie company going forward.

The circumstances around their fall are almost identical to those faced by Monarch 2 years ago.

Consumer spending down.
    The pound down.
    Oil prices up.
    Consumers opting for lower cost airlines.
    Consumers opting to build their own holiday.
    The longer haul destinations not covered by cheaper airlines having political disturbances putting off consumers (Turkey and Egypt for the main)

Nothing has changed in the 2 years since Monarch folded there are no signs of things improving in the future either.

There is also a lot of talk of this costing the Gov. The customers are for the most part ATOL protected which is like a centrally funded insurance policy that everyone who buys a package holiday pays into. This shouldn't end up costing the tax payer directly.
  • Looking at the wider picture I am quite happy to see package holidays die.
    Flying is horrific for the environment, an annual flight per person is is too much.
    The resorts are often exploitative and damaging to the local area, privatising beaches and bulldozing nature.
    People on these things often dont offer anything to small businesses, sticking to the resort exclusively.
    Likewise this means they absorb none of the culture and kids receive no educational value.
    The full board packages often encourage the worst kinds of gluttony.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Looking at the wider picture I am quite happy to see package holidays die. Flying is horrific for the environment, an annual flight per person is is too much. The resorts are often exploitative and damaging to the local area, privatising beaches and bulldozing nature. People on these things often dont offer anything to small businesses, sticking to the resort exclusively. Likewise this means they absorb none of the culture and kids receive no educational value. The full board packages often encourage the worst kinds of gluttony.

I can agree with this to a certain extent, but some of it strikes me as a little snobbish and superior. I’m all for holidays that broaden my horizons and allow me to immerse myself in different cultures, but every now and then I’d like to be able to switch off for a week. I’ve been on precisely one package holiday as an adult, and would like to go on another next year; the thought of arriving at the airport and everything — travel, food, entertainment — all having been taken care of is appealing.
  • I'll hold my hands up and admit an element of snobbish ness.
    I will maintain that they are damaging though, which I dont think you are arguing anyway.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't think I've ever been on a package - Wifey has always sorted things out booking things separately even pre-web. I'd have no idea about booking a holiday. If it was left to me we would go nowhere...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Amazing.
    Labour - the Party could officially adopt all THREE Brexit positions later on today, a spokeswoman confirms.

https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1176055266468683776
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Amazing.
    Labour - the Party could officially adopt all THREE Brexit positions later on today, a spokeswoman confirms.

Thats depressing. I mean, does this mean the Lib dems and Brexit party are the only party with clear plans? I know Boris is mostly set on no deal (or is he???) but the overall conservatives seem quite mixed as well.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, by the end of the day Labour could have a clear plan, it depends on how these votes go.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Amazing.
    This is from the Deputy Political Editor of The Sun. And what does it actually mean?
  • Is this stuff not what the party conferences are for?
    Surely the main thing is they have a clear position that everyone is behind following the conference.
  • That argument holds up maybe a year or 2 ago. At this point it seems a mess. Maybe they will come out unified and strong, I hope so. But it's not good optics for the undecided voter.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Amazing.
    This is from the Deputy Political Editor of The Sun. And what does it actually mean?

There are currently two motions up for a vote, one saying that Labour will remain neutral on Brexit, one saying they’ll campaign for remain. There was a third being proposed saying that Labour will campaign for leave with a deal. These three don’t cancel each other out, so if they all passed (which isn’t very likely, admittedly), then there you have it.
  • Hands up labour vote.... yeah looks about right Jeremy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Judgement this morning then. Should be fun...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Any idea what time?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    10:30 got mentioned
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Let's hope it's an interesting result.
  • I've got a bad feeling about this.

I'm gonna guess a majority will rule it lawful.
  • I'd be surprised if that isn't the outcome tbh.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is jusiticiable, that's a good start
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Unanimous

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!