Red Dead Redemption / Undead Nightmare
  • Yeah the gameplay itself was my main bug bear. The biggest problem was movement - you were either full pelt sprinting or agonizingly slow plod. Nothing in between. It just looked stupid when they'd gone to so much effort making everything else so photo real. Walking through towns is a nightmare of wanting to walk briskly but not being able to, or sprinting and crashing into things and people constantly. It's got the most clunky movement of any triple A game in recent memory. How they didn't look to other games to see how it's done well is beyond me. Just sheer arrogance on their part I think. Don't get me started on the camp walk. It's unforgivable really.

I ended up having to use the first person camera in towns otherwise the immersion would shatter for me. Couple that with the frankly bonkers use of buttons for different things and the absolutely abhorrent gunplay? Easy quit in the end.

It's a game that never clicked for me.
  • It's all deliberate on their part isn't it? You shouldn't run through the camp, you should walk because that's what you'd do in real life. Except we're not playing it to be a sim of real life... so it just frustrates. 

I totally get where Rockstar were coming from, just it didn't match with what I think the majority wanted.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It's been synonymous with Rockstar games for years. They've never managed to crack third person controls in their games.
  • It's been synonymous with Rockstar games for years. They've never managed to crack third person controls in their games.

Indeed. There was a mission on GTA IV where you had to storm a boat and trying to get shots lined up while maintaining cover in teh door way was agonisingly shit.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm very slowly working through RDR2 atm (thanks to a lovely badger) - for me it's very much a game I need to be in the mood to play, and it's only ever a weekend daytime game, where I can just have it on for hours, do a bit, leave it on, come back, do a bit more etc.

I've not really had any problems with the controls, aside from having to google some of them. Once I know what to do, it's business as usual. It is clunky for sure, but I manage.

It's a seriously impressive achievement, I can see the crunch on screen every time I play, but yeah it's not always engrossing in terms of, gotta have one more go. If I'm in the mood for a lazy Saturday of riding, playing cards and shooting some folks, it's grand.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There is something world shattering next gen sit the fuck down nothing can be like this to RDR2 and I'm genuinely in awe of it. It seriously is a world to just wander into. It just doesn't play good.
  • Blindboy streaming RDR2 is quality AAA non-AAA alternative https://www.twitch.tv/theblindboypodcast
  • More blindboy plays Red Dead - https://www.twitch.tv/theblindboypodcast
    Pacifist exploration.
  • It's finally happened, I am 'into' RDR2. Played it pretty much non-stop from Saturday morning to last night, I've got a good grasp on the controls without having to look things up, and feel invested in the world, most of all my good boy horse (who is somewhat comically small but damn it he's mine and I love him). Up to chapter 3 now and settled into a steady loop of doing missions, heading out for a wander to explore, hunting and playing poker. I'm keeping things as legit as possible and avoiding causing a disturbance, but if it finds me I know how to finish it.

I enjoyed the chapter 2 part where..
    Spoiler:
    But I didn't like how you couldn't...
    Spoiler:
    I'm already thinking of going back to RDR after this as I never really played more than the first hour of the campaign (played a fuck tonne of multiplayer). I reckon 2'll have me occupied for a good while though.

Is RDR available on current gen? I have it on 360 if needed but if it's sub-£20 I'll get it on PS4 to save setting up another console.
  • Back compatible on bone
  • RDR1 is the better game overall. RDR2 is prettier but shallower.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    RDR1 is the better game overall. RDR2 is prettier but shallower.
    Yeti didn't gel with the first but loved this one.  The original felt like it was a gen too early and was far too clunky because of it.
    nick_md wrote:
    It's finally happened, I am 'into' RDR2. Played it pretty much non-stop from Saturday morning to last night, I've got a good grasp on the controls without having to look things up, and feel invested in the world, most of all my good boy horse (who is somewhat comically small but damn it he's mine and I love him). Up to chapter 3 now and settled into a steady loop of doing missions, heading out for a wander to explore, hunting and playing poker. I'm keeping things as legit as possible and avoiding causing a disturbance, but if it finds me I know how to finish it.

It took me a while too - in fact i'd moved on to different pastures before it really got me but you just settle into it's world and its rhythm and eventually head further and further off piste. I played as a gentleman wherever i could but if you crossed me then it'd get finished one way or another.
  • I did wonder for a moment who yeti was
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    RDR1 is the better game overall. RDR2 is prettier but shallower.
    Yeti didn't gel with the first but loved this one.  The original felt like it was a gen too early and was far too clunky because of it.
    nick_md wrote:
    It's finally happened, I am 'into' RDR2. Played it pretty much non-stop from Saturday morning to last night, I've got a good grasp on the controls without having to look things up, and feel invested in the world, most of all my good boy horse (who is somewhat comically small but damn it he's mine and I love him). Up to chapter 3 now and settled into a steady loop of doing missions, heading out for a wander to explore, hunting and playing poker. I'm keeping things as legit as possible and avoiding causing a disturbance, but if it finds me I know how to finish it.
    It took me a while too - in fact i'd moved on to different pastures before it really got me but you just settle into it's world and its rhythm and eventually head further and further off piste. I played as a gentleman wherever i could but if you crossed me then it'd get finished one way or another.

Again, much obliged for the loan, pardner :)

Guess I'll dust off the 360 at some point.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    I did wonder for a moment who yeti was

That’ll be my pal autocorrect and the massive bandages covering most of left arm. Apologies.
  • Played a bunch more of this over the weekend, continue to enjoy it a lot. Definitely a weekend game though, long sessions of many hours. Up to chapter IV now:
    Spoiler:
    Some cracking moments from Chapter III too:
    Spoiler:
  • 85% through now, reckon one more weekend push'll see this finished. What a journey it's been, took a while when I first started to really get its teeth into me, but now it's up there with best game experiences in the last decade or so, up there with the best ever tbh. It's maybe because I haven't really played any AAA in a long time, and I can't even remember the last AAA I completed.

Genuine feels at times, and not ashamed to say I got teary eyed at a few parts yesterday. Brilliant use of music in this game too, especially when a vocal track comes on. Two in particular had me proper:
    Spoiler:

Pretty sure I'll dig out my 360 and go straight into RDR after this, only ever cleared 2% of the story in that.
  • Story spoilers as well as song spoilers there btw so click with caution.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hah, since I've not played it in ages that second video comes across as cheesy as fuck. I totally agree with you that it was powerful when I saw it while on my first playthrough though. Great game.
  • Hah, since I've not played it in ages that second video comes across as cheesy as fuck. I totally agree with you that it was powerful when I saw it while on my first playthrough though. Great game.

Man it proper gets me!
    Spoiler:
  • Finished this last week, damn near moved to tears at several points towards the end. Loved it. I'd put this in my three desert-island games for sure, so much to do. Finished it at 80% total completion, just shy of 47hrs.

I was pleasantly to surprised to find that RDR2 is a prequel, not a sequel:
    Spoiler:
    I thought the epilogue was going on too long at the time, but by the end it was just right:
    Spoiler:
    One complaint that isn't really a complaint:
    Spoiler:

A real high point of the gen for me, not that I've played many other AAA titles.
  • Glad you enjoyed it.  That opening act is a real worry though isn’t it?  Clunky as hell.
    Spoiler:
  • Glad you enjoyed it.  That opening act is a real worry though isn’t it?  Clunky as hell.
    Spoiler:

I'm for real gonna restart tomorrow and be a total bandito cunt, I hear there are alternate cut scenes. Am I ok to hold onto the disc for a while longer?

(Probably doesn't matter cause it's an old game, but your post may be spoils for some).

I reckon second time through the intro will be better.
  • Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • So when I say
    Spoiler:
    I only mean I
    Spoiler:
    Because my time with the game is done and not because
    Spoiler:
    Like what happens right at the end of the game.
  • I don’t want or need the game back.  It’s just a standard edition with a value of sweet FA right now so either offer it to someone else on here or an irl friend if someone wants a blast.  Failing that sell it somewhere and give the money to a charity or someone who might need it.
  • Sweet, I'll do another playthrough then offer it up, ta.

Also
    Spoiler:
  • nick_md wrote:
    Sweet, I'll do another playthrough then offer it up, ta. Also
    Spoiler:

Did you find 
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!