PC Monitors & TVs thread
  • Nah sony also have a 48 inch oled out.

However not having the catch up apps has hurt the CX range. I would imagine you will be able to snag one for 1299
    PSN - minkymu
  • Hmmm..yeh i will hang on for Black Friday. Catchup apps arent an issue as i have them via my sky Q box. 48 inches is just the right fit for the space in living room.
  • Same
    PSN - minkymu
  • Popped in JL and spoke to LG rep. They said 55 OLED was reduced as there are bigger margins on sets 55 inch and over. They said no chance of a price drop on the 48inch LG OLED set. I asked about black friday and they didnt LG would authorise a price drop on the 48. Margins too tight on that size as the smaller OLED sets cost more to build.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’d also suggest that it’s also become very popular with PC enthusiasts. A lot of gamers are using it as a monitor.

Was a bit miffed my set has dropped £200 plus they are giving free headphones worth £99. Called the store today and he said they will sort it.
  • I wouldn’t believe a word the lg rep said.

They will have targets to move as much full price as poss, particularly a new range like the 48 inch oled. It will drop in price trust me.

I ran the tv department at currys superstore for 2 years. It will happen
    PSN - minkymu
  • Cool, i am deffo holding out for black friday
  • There will be a discount on the 48. Im guessing £200 but may only be £100-150 ish

Either way oleds are always in currys black friday week deals
    PSN - minkymu
  • Last year the lg oled b9 wasn't discounted in black Friday. Though it was cheaper than the current model anyway.
    Still prob worth waiting to see, if you're not desperate for it
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The catch up apps are imminent for the LG’s now btw.  License expiry issues are now being sorted. IPlayer is on there and the others are weeks away.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think it’s a relatively small issue anyway. If you are spending £1000+ on a TV you are gonna plug in something that can handle the apps be it a console or media player. And worse case you can afford a fire stick. If you are buying an OLED you know you want treat picture quality and want to pay for it. Catch up apps playing SD or HD tv content aren’t really a first use case.
  • I think if you’re spending £1k+ on a tv the least you can expect is some simple bloody catch up apps.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I think it’s a relatively small issue anyway. If you are spending £1000+ on a TV you are gonna plug in something that can handle the apps be it a console or media player. And worse case you can afford a fire stick. If you are buying an OLED you know you want treat picture quality and want to pay for it. Catch up apps playing SD or HD tv content aren’t really a first use case.

Seven Worlds One Planet was 4k HDR on the iplayer app built in to the TV but not on the xbox one i think. (at least for me for some reason.) So i disagree with what you said a bit. Also i really enjoy the in built apps much more than i expected, they load a lot quicker than firing up the xbox.
  • Im thinking of the mrs who will defo not want to fire up the series S to watch channel 4 catch up
    PSN - minkymu
  • Yep. Consoles make a lot more noise and waste more leckie than just watching through the tv, and all the apps on mine support 4k and hdr
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Interesting video on youtube channel HDTVtest explaining why the 48 inch LG CX OLED is more expensive than the 55 inch currently.

Basically they cut the panel from the same sheet they use for the 77 inch, but there is a lot of wastage cut off, and there are less 48 inch panels in the wild as a result.

Soooooooo maybe discounts won’t be forthcoming after all. Fucks sake

Only saving grace might be as its more expensive less people will buy a 48 as a 55 inch is more tv for less. So it may force a reduction just to clear stock.
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It seems to be holding its price. Weirdly it may have been cheaper years ago due to the sheets being smaller and the spare cut off more likely matching a 48. I read somewhere that plants in China have gone up to the bigger size to accommodate the bigger TV’s. Which as you say results in more cost to produce.

Crazy that it’s £100 more than the 55 at the mo.

Getting a replacement for my 65 today due to shit screen quality. Glad it happened as I was able to take advantage of the price drop and free headphones offer so have saved £200.
  • Sweet
    PSN - minkymu
  • Black Friday isn't till Nov 27th. Thats a long time to wait for a tv that might not get discounted (48 inch LG OLED).
    I have a £100 voucher for JL via work for some work i did recently. Not fussed about the headphones would rather have another £100 off the tv price. Decisions decisions...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely can’t fit a 55? As that is a very good deal.
  • Just saw there was another max £60 off on ebay, decided to bite the bullet on the Panasonic TX-50HX800B, due to reviews and whatnot.

Was a good deal at £530, but have seen it's a refurb (from an official outlet), should I be worried? Says 12 month guarantee I guess...
  • The 55 inch BX oled ( slightly lower peak nits brightness and a slightly slower chipset) is now £1199 on amazon

Your looking at approx 200 nits difference but blacks and response time will still be top notch. Vrr 120hz and hdmi 2.1 all present.

Bargain

Edit. The bezel is a few mm thicker and darker than the CX
    PSN - minkymu
  • b0r1s wrote:

Gonna measure again tonight. The tv is in the corner on a stand (current one is 46). A 55 would mean it would block a part of the window which would be the right side of the tv.

I cant shift the tv along on the left side any further as the curtains and curtain holder would be impeded.

It one for the missus to decide i think. The 48 is just perfect but she has said we need a bigger tv as she thinks its too small when your further away (room is 6 meters in length and sofa is 4.5 metres in length).
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just saw there was another max £60 off on ebay, decided to bite the bullet on the Panasonic TX-50HX800B, due to reviews and whatnot.

Was a good deal at £530, but have seen it's a refurb (from an official outlet), should I be worried? Says 12 month guarantee I guess...

It’s an LED isn’t it? It shouldn’t be an issue. If it’s an OLED then I wouldn’t go refurb as you don’t know how much burn in it’s had.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:

Gonna measure again tonight. The tv is in the corner on a stand (current one is 46). A 55 would mean it would block a part of the window which would be the right side of the tv.

I cant shift the tv along on the left side any further as the curtains and curtain holder would be impeded.

It one for the missus to decide i think. The 48 is just perfect but she has said we need a bigger tv as she thinks its too small when your further away (room is 6 meters in length and sofa is 4.5 metres in length).

One thing to bear in mind with this set Dino is it’s very thin at the top and sides. Thinner than my phone. Especially if you’re gonna have the edge sticking out. Not a great combo with kids. Though the base is solid.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Just saw there was another max £60 off on ebay, decided to bite the bullet on the Panasonic TX-50HX800B, due to reviews and whatnot. Was a good deal at £530, but have seen it's a refurb (from an official outlet), should I be worried? Says 12 month guarantee I guess...
    It’s an LED isn’t it? It shouldn’t be an issue. If it’s an OLED then I wouldn’t go refurb as you don’t know how much burn in it’s had.

Ah, good to know. Yeah it's an LED, not gonna look at OLED till I can be sure the kids won't keep whacking it with sticks/covering it in fingerprints. Legit concerns.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Assume you are doing distance buying so you can return if a duffer. You could go down the rabbit hole of checking screen uniformity on YouTube but those videos tend to highlight stuff that you may not otherwise have noticed. As long as you are happy with it watching stuff then all good.
  • I ordered a telly today, from the Richer Sounds clearance. Ex-display, so £500 off. I was planning to wait until we’d moved house, but with the move cancelled for a while … fuck it, eh?

It’s probably one most of you wouldn’t touch with a bargepole, but it’s what we wanted. Bound to be a big leap from my 11-year old 1080p LED set anyway.

55" Samsung Frame and a Sonos Arc to go with it. Not gonna wall mount it until we do eventually move, so I’ll probably be the only person in the world with one of these picture frame tellies on a stand instead of on the wall …
  • I ain't a snob, sounds good. I have £1k OLED but doesn't mean everybody must! I upgraded from like an 8 year old plasma so purchase felt justified
  • poprock wrote:
    I ordered a telly today, from the Richer Sounds clearance. Ex-display, so £500 off. I was planning to wait until we’d moved house, but with the move cancelled for a while … fuck it, eh?

It’s probably one most of you wouldn’t touch with a bargepole, but it’s what we wanted. Bound to be a big leap from my 11-year old 1080p LED set anyway.

55" Samsung Frame and a Sonos Arc to go with it. Not gonna wall mount it until we do eventually move, so I’ll probably be the only person in the world with one of these picture frame tellies on a stand instead of on the wall …

I really wanted a frame, love the aesthetic of it, but was trying to keep to £500. I recently have saved up a bit so at first was looking at over £1k to truly spoil myself, but like most everything in my house I can’t justify it when having 2 small kids. We try to get nice things but at a cost where it’s not the end of the world if it were to break. Like our sofas that have had every single drink thrown on it and the cat sleeping on top of it using it as a scratching post.

I can’t wait till we can have nice things again!
    b0r1s wrote:
    Assume you are doing distance buying so you can return if a duffer. You could go down the rabbit hole of checking screen uniformity on YouTube but those videos tend to highlight stuff that you may not otherwise have noticed. As long as you are happy with it watching stuff then all good.

That’s not a bad idea, even just for piece of mind, cheers!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!