Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    So juicy and tender.
  • Pure serendipity but the marble top I make pizzas on is above the dishwasher, so it warms it up and raises the dough balls brilliantly. They get lovely fat bubbles in them and then it's just a matter of pushing them down gently with the fingers to form the base.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Also, top pizza making tip: don't bother with a baking stone, just get a blazing hot cast iron frying pan that's been on the hob for five minutes and slide it onto that, then whack it under a preheated grill (again, full whack) and you'll have as good a replica of a proper pizza oven as you'll get in a domestic kitchen.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I enjoy watching time-lapse screen captures of really good designers at work.

This is Matt Wiley – current art director of the New York Times Magazine.

Video link.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just scan reading this again - someone mentioned vinyl.

Have started getting some vinyl of my favourites. Nothing like a fold out double LP for the artwork.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • poprock wrote:
    I enjoy watching time-lapse screen captures of really good designers at work. This is Matt Wiley – current art director of the New York Times Magazine. Video link.
    I'm not a designer, but i watched half of that and just thought it was very boring and dumb (then again no audio, so if there was great insight there, fair play)...from watching though it didn't seem to be done with any rhyme or reason, it was just trying every possible permutation of font size and layout option repeatedly, like watching my kids 'play' with publisher or something.

edit: sorry, realise that prob just offends the designers here and that's not my intent. and thinking about the thread, i didn't mean to just shit on something you enjoy pop, so apologies for that too!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It looked like someone just messing about to me too.....

But I suppose a lot of layout work involves trying a pile of different options and seeing which looks the most attractive whilst getting the message across?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was just checking out what I said..may review it.

bumped this to aid the secret santa thread.
  • Nice thread to revisit. Jim and Vela were good eggs.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Niiice. I love to see a positive thread here and there. I’ll never have the patience to write a long list like Davy’s but maybe I can throw in an occasional thought. Here’s one. Three chords, three notes I have fairly eclectic musical tastes, but when I want a hit of pure joy nothing quite hits the reptile part of my brain like some straight ahead basic pop punk. Buzzcocks, MTX, Town Bike, Chixdiggit, Chopper, whoever. Sometimes you don’t need heartfelt lyrics and complex harmonies. Sometimes you just want “ONE TWO, ONE TWO THREE FOUR …” and the same three chords over and over at breakneck speed.

Yup, as much as I love some stuff really technical and mathy, my default go to is almost always four on the floor, three chords, and the truth

Not to dismiss the punk appreciation (valid) but this comment about simplicity in music makes me think how much I have loved discovering Max Richter and Ludovico Einaudi's music this year. Exiles, and Atoms, in particular.

https://youtu.be/bmdhiEnjxdg
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I like seeing this thread resurrected. This makes me happy.
  • Another thing to add is that I read my first ever Terry Pratchett book this year, Colour of Magic.

Took a detour via Good Omens and it has me in stitches from page 1, but particularly when it came to the duck at the park.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Favourite line from Colour of Magic -

" Hellraiser is he?"

"Not exactly, but let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort of guy to stand on a hilltop, in the middle of a thunderstorm, wearing wet copperplate armour whilst shouting all 'Gods are Bastards' ".
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Pratchett’s books get better and better. So many incredible characters and a searing, humanist rage at injustice threaded through so much. He’s one of my heroes - I need to get the Rob Wilkins bio “Terry Pratchett: A Life With Footnotes”.
  • i went back to reading a load of pratchett in the last year or so...originally planned to go through in order but i really struggled with colour of magic as the later books get much better, so i ended up skipping ahead. 'Guards! Guards!' prob my personal fave.
  • I think, with the benefit of many years of hindsight, that Night Watch is Pratchett’s finest book. Doesn’t mean it’s necessarily my favourite. My favourite might still be different every time you ask me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only read one Pratchett book......Mort...and that was because of the concept. No idea about his universe though.
  • Mort was always one of my favourites.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Mort was the first one I read. Got me hooked as a teenager. I picked up the previous three, and his old sci-fi novels. Then every Discworld book afterwards, as they came out.
  • I've only read Truckers (roughly 30yrs ago) and Good Omens.
  • You should really remedy that.
  • Any recs for a good standalone Pratchett novel?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I played the Colour of Magic game on the spectrum in 1986 before reading the book. Didn't really get the jokes so I went off and found the book. I had previously read Hitchhikers' Guide so its humour was just right for me. I'd say I read almost all of the Discworld books but I think I stopped towards the end of the run, it was getting a bit samey for me. The first 5 or 6 are absolute classics, Mort and Wyrd Sisters(?) being my favourites.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Any recs for a good standalone Pratchett novel?

Good Omens (with Neil Gaiman) was really enjoyable.
  • It was. I've read that twice though.
  • Vela wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Any recs for a good standalone Pratchett novel?

Good Omens (with Neil Gaiman) was really enjoyable.
    Lol

A lot of the early discworld books are effectively standalone. It’s only later they start to have series and characters that cross over…but even then i reckon most prob would stand alone still.
    But pick something like guards guards, mort, wyrd sisters…then if you like it then you have the whole disc world to dive into

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Bibliography

Yeah - “Guards! Guards!”, Mort, Wyrd Sisters are good standalone, and if the characters of Vimes, Weatherwax or Death grab you, you can continue along their storylines or just sequential.
  • Small Gods or Pyramids are good standalone ones.
  • My Dad has 3x 1st edition copies of Colour of Magic. 2 of them are signed as well I think. Yet despite being an avid reader, I've never read any Pratchett. Should probably rectify that at some point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!