Castlevania - What a horrible night to have a curse
  • JonB wrote:
    Speaking of which, Harmony of Dissonance is one of the best game names ever.

I've played quite a few of the Castlevanias, starting with IV, then moving on to SotN and varous handheld versions, and then Lords of Shadow.

The Metroidvania style ones have never been able to hit the highs of SotN again, although Dawn of Sorrow was rather good. I don't think it's possible because game design has to be too user friendly nowadays - it can't just leave you to get lost like in SotN, and in the end that was it's greatest strength. The last DS one, Order of Ecclesia, was very tired and it would take a real reinvention to get me interested in the 2D games again. I'll keep an eye on the sequel to Lords of Shadow though, as the first was well put together.

I find myself agreeing with absolutely everything in this here post. My order of preference of the 2D games since SotN happens to be the order of release. I got bored by the time of Ecclesia and never actually finished it. LoS was a welcome change and refreshing, and I loved the origin reboot story.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • i am a life failer as i never finished SotN.
  • Some good Castlevania videos from the AVGN here:

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My 3DS one and posters arrived today. Hooray
  • Nice, let us know what you think please. Thinking of picking it up myself.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Will do. Between that and Vita stuff, I'm handheld only for the foreseeable
  • I have a 10 hour flight coming up and fancy some Castlevania action in my 3DS. Can someone recommend best version please?

Dawn of Sorrow seems to be the one. Right/Wrong?
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Yep, best of the DS lot.
  • Dawn of Sorrow it is, cheers.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Played about an hour of mirror of fate. It's a solid castlevania game. Two great things going for it-

1) current champ of best looking 3DS game. Considering Kid Icky, Resi Rev and MGS3D that's saying sommat.

2) no slowdown at all so far, so demo issues don't appear to be here.

But yep, it's some Simon Belmont ass action
  • Cheers reg. I'm sold, will pick it up!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Castlevania IV is the first I played and my favourite.

Never really got into SOTN as I prefer it when its linear.

I enjoyed Chronicles on PS1 which is a port of a JPN only Sharp computer version - and it unlocks a TT mode when you complete it which is addictive to the likes of me.

The only other ones I've played are the excellent if short WiiWare Castlevania Rebirth and the PC-Engine Rondo of Blood which we played as part of the retro thread.

Overall the music is the star of the show when it comes to this series.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've never played Castlevania.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK wrote:
    Castlevania IV is the first I played and my favourite.

Never really got into SOTN as I prefer it when its linear.

I enjoyed Chronicles on PS1 which is a port of a JPN only Sharp computer version - and it unlocks a TT mode when you complete it which is addictive to the likes of me.

The only other ones I've played are the excellent if short WiiWare Castlevania Rebirth and the PC-Engine Rondo of Blood which we played as part of the retro thread.

Overall the music is the star of the show when it comes to this series.

Agree with you 100% here davyK!

Good shout on Chronicles, not a lot of people know about that one, came out at the death of the PS1 from what I remember.

Also... Rebirth! I think your the first person I know of thats actually played it. Most don't even know if it's existence. It's literally Mega Man 9 but for Castlevania.

I'd recommend you check out Bloodlines for the Mega Drive, it's probably my 3rd/4th favourite one and your tastes in CV seem similar to mine.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I've never played Castlevania.

Change that if you can
  • Tempy wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    I've never played Castlevania.
    Change that if you can

If I get a 3DS XL I willlllllll.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Get Symphony of the Night on XBLA, it's one of the best.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Urgh, Castlevania is one of those series I'd love to get every (main) version for on one system, but always feel. Only have 2 on the GBA (Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow I think), Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow on the DS. Huge fan of the artwork, there's so much little detail in everything.

I hated the 2 people that bought the 3DS version this week, only because I can't afford it now. It did hurt a bit that that were the only 2 copy's I've seen at my till.

Got the SNES version as well, bought then when I was still unfamiliar with all this, but a local gameshop had it for cheap, and I heard good things about the series. Definitely got some big points from Bas for owning it. It is his favorite, but he never got his own copy.

Played the second one on the NES a couple of years ago, with a walkthrough. Was impossible without one,  mainly because I didn't have hours and hours of free time to figure it all out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My SNES copy is complete in box with manual and in very good nick....have seen similar go for £80 on eBay....just thought I'd share that.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I had every PAL release up until the first DS one at one point, sold most of them off for a decent price as they were all complete in mint/near mint condition.

All I have now are:
    I, II, III (NES)
    IV, Dracula X (SNES NTSC)
    Chronicles (PS)
    Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
    LoS (PS3)

and the 3DS one in the post.

EDIT: and digitally Rebirth & Rondo of Blood
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    My Snes IV copy is an ex rental, so has a plastic hardcover case, in stead of the original carton box. Doesn't matter that much to me, it's complete and it works.

Noticed last night that the 3DS Castlevania is on the eshop as well. Means I don't have to miss it if I actually want to buy it at a later date. Those games never drop in prices anyway.
  • How much is it on the eShop?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    £39.99
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    45,- euros. That's the some as the retail price, will probably be cheaper if you start looking online.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    £39.99

Thought it might be. The eshop in the UK is pointless for retail games imo. £29.99 on shopto and you get some free Castlevania posters. If they were the same I'd probably start going digital.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I've just played the first hour or so of the 3DS LoS game, very good so far I think.

Only gripes I have so far is sometimes it seems like the camera is too close up to the action and you can get attacked by an enemy off screen and not have enough time to react. Not a massive problem so far but on latter stages when the difficulty is ramped up I can see that being frustrating.

Worst part so far for me is the cut scenes, there's no/very little lip movement and it doesn't use the in game graphics. Very minor complaint that but it is what it is.

3D effects are superb, some of the best I've yet seen on the 3DS. As with every other 3DS game I've played though, I only tend to have it up during cut scenes as my hands move around to much during action which distorts the effect.

Seems like a mish mash of past CV titles so far. The combat of LoS with the platforming of the 8/16bit titles and some Metrovania thrown in for good measure. Having said that it does appear to be a jack of all trades master of none scenario, which can be both a good and bad thing I guess.

Anyone else playing this? How far have you got? What are your thoughts?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm with you. I'm about 6 hours in. Best thing is the pacing of upgrades - new ability every 20-40 minutes. Keeps me going
  • I'll get onto it as soon as I've gotten over my addiction of Revengeance. Could play on daily commute, but mag/paper/Vita taking priority.
  • Just a tad over 3hrs in now, at the start of Alucard's Act.

It's definitely not as linear as I first thought, as I needed to back track to pick up certain abilities to progress.

You played anymore @regmcfly?

I got 100% on the Gabriel prologue and 81% on the Simon Belmont Act.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • nice touch...

img2013033100436.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!