Country Music
  • Will definitely check out Eileen Jewell (hadn't heard of her before so cheers.  Great voice) and isbell's new album - I agree with your assessment of his earlier work.  Remember hearing his Alabama pines on hear we rest and being knocked over by it, but I ended up only really liking that track and codine from the album.  Glad to hear he's put together a great album!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I listened to that album on Friday, in the hope that I'd misjudged some tracks.  Nope, it's basically still Alabama Pines and Codeine that are genuinely worth the price of admission, good call (although the version of Tour of Duty on the album I mention in the next sentence is great).  His live album from last year was the best thing he'd released prior to Southeastern, you should check that out if you haven't already - it's basically a greatest hits including the numerous quality Driveby Truckers songs he wrote that he now tours with.  A good article on Isbell:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/02/magazine/jason-isbell-unloaded.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• Been listening to southeastern this week a fair bit, thanks for bringing it to attention, great album.  I'm guessing its fairly autobiographical?  Feels painfully honest anyway, was packing away some boxes at work while listening to Elephants for the first time, pretty much just stood there with my mouth open after the first verse, Jesus.

Reckon this would be the sort of album to knock me around a bit if listened to while draining a couple of whiskeys.  

Cheers again for the tip!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Really pleased that you like it.  I assume some of it autobiographical; the stuff about drying out certainly is, and Elephant strikes me as a touch....heavy to be plucked from nowhere.  Even Super 8, which is a bit rock-by-numbers, manages to be a welcome shift towards the end of the record. 
    Reckon this would be the sort of album to knock me around a bit if listened to while draining a couple of whiskeys.

Ha, I love this comment as I listen to a lot of my country (etc) under the influence of fine whisky.

Try this on for size after a few drams.  Grave Of The Fireflies et al can't touch lyrics like these:

Bugul/Chattinwithchet sent me a vast number of links just before he disappeared that were so far up my alley I feel like I owe him a bottle of Ardbeg or something.  Of all the tracks he recommended, this was the absolute best of the best, and is now firmly in my top 10 tracks of all time.

THANKS CHET.
  • I've just discovered Todd Snider.  I bought a live album which arrived yesterday, and after three listens today I've ordered a few more from his back catalogue.  Storytelling singer-songwriter stuff, plenty of humour, I'm lapping it up.  His website offers live bootlegs too, so I'm pretty sure I've found my first obsession since Ray Wylie Hubbard.

Hmmm, not sure which track to post.  There's tonnes of talking at the start of this one, but that's pretty much what hooked me, and from what I've gathered so far it sums him up in around 10 minutes:

• A few more:

Steve Earle's son:

Neko Case sneaks in, despite moving further away from her alt-country beginnings:

In my top 5 favourite songwriters:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I really like DJ Yoda's country cut and paste, songs on their lonesome not so much.

Got time for bluegrass too:

• I've only ever listened to the Yonder Mountain String Band on Youtube.  Almost bought albums on a few occasions though.  Didn't know Yoda did a country cut & paste. 

This seems to be getting a lot of airplay at the moment.  It's OK I guess, but it does have the honour of being the first Country/House song I've heard since 1995 #lols

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    File name is DTP041_DJYoda_datatransmission

Its not a C&P, got meself mixed up. Its a blend of country/hip hop, rather enjoy it.
  • I've recently discovered John Prine, who writes the kind of witty/clever lyrics that I would consider the essence of 'my kind' of country music.  I'm all for the tales of shattered dreams and wrecked lives, of course, but I find something particularly rewarding about comedy in country. 

I'm sure if anyone watches these I'll be told they're not actually funny, but I love it.

Les Claypool's latest album is great fun, and includes covers of Man in a Box, Pipeline and the following:

Also, the new Rosanne Cash album, The River & The Thread, is truly excellent.

• Just picked up Sturgill Simpson's High Top Mountain, and You Can Have the Crown is the best country song of the year so far (or possibly last year: the album took ages to reach the UK). I'll be keeping an eye on him.

The studio version is better, but it's not on Youtube.

• I like stories about guitars.

Ramblin' Jack Elliott does a great over of the second song, but it's not on Youtube.  It's not actually called Eric Clapton's Secret, whoever uploaded it decided that's what it's about (it's not).
  • Who's the young kid mimicking Gram Parsons. I like him but not enough to remember his name.
  • Beats me.  How young/how recent?
  • Annoyingly young.

Max Jury is his name.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Can never get enough of Drag The River, in fact all the country music I adore is straight up horrible, in emotional tone anyway

DRAG THE RIVER - I remember now: http://youtu.be/tPKhERljh3g

Couldn't find get over it or get it over with, horrible song by them encouraging an ex to commit suicide and not be a whiny bitch
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Overly emotional country doesn't bother me a jot; the same goes for Irish folk ballads.  It's something about the accent and the slide guitar with the former.  Perhaps it's because I imagine burly men opening up about their feelings in song, rather than whiny bitches who probably bore people with tales of their own hard-donebyness when they're not even singing.
  • Link's working for me now, had a read about them on Allmusic, sound like an interesting band.  I misunderstood your post yesterday, and re-reading my post above I'm not even sure what I thought you meant.

Anyway, darkly emotional country does it for me.  I quite like the toe-tappers with a darker core; like A Boy Named Sue or Coward of the County.

• My dad keeps sending me John Denver videos.  I'm not enjoying them at all.  I'm sure he's talented, but most of it sounds like country music through the square window. 

I'm enjoying Sturgill Simpson's Metamodern Sounds in Country Music.  Turns out I missed him on Jools Holland recently. 

He still sounds like Waylon Jennings (not a bad thing), but the lyrics on this album are markedly different from the usual country fare.

Also, a highlight from the True Detective soundtrack, which I'll stop talking about at some point:

Snagged a ticket to see Hayes Carll in Sepember, but unfortunately just the one ticket.  Was supposed to go with a mate and his other half, but it's a small room and it's sold out everywhere online, I even rang the venue.  Had to explain that they're not going, but I still am, without saying KMAGYOYO.
  • I'll have to take the first response to this, otherwise you lot might end up fighting in the aisles like early 90s mums for the last Hero Turtle figure.  Does anyone want a free ticket to see Hayes Carll at The Lexington (North London) on Tuesday 2nd Sept? As mentioned above, I snagged the last ticket a few months ago, but he added a date at the Bush Hall the next day, so I'm off to see that with two mates who are willing to indulge me with my country obsession.  Ordinarily I'd go to both, but leaving my wife at home with a four week old baby for two consecutive evenings is a bit much.  If I was really country, I'd find another gig to go to the day after and smack her about a bit whilst smelling of whisky and calling her Tammy, but I've not got it in me. 

So in a nutshell, does anyone fancy seeing an artist you probably don't know performing music from a genre many people loathe, on their own or with a pal if they fancy a spot of tout gambling?  Can post for free.

• Gotta love Drive By Truckers. Also a big fan of the Avett Brothers, Emmylou Harris, Jason Isbell (who has already had a mention in this thread). And are The Civil Wars country? Love those guys. Any kind of male/female duet harmonies I'm all over.
  • ZMM wrote:
    Any kind of male/female duet harmonies I'm all over.

I love back-chat duets (Cary Ann Hearst and Elvis Costello are the guests on the vids above). 

Driveby Truckers are fantastic.  I'm pretty sure Mike Cooley's got a solo studio album deep inside him somewhere, I live in hope.  Definitely one of the best blue-collar lyricists in modern country/southern rock.  Hood dabbles with excellence now and then but his songwriting is wildly inconsistent.  His highs (Living Bubba, Ronnie & Neil, Feb 14, Sink Hole, Puttin' People on the Moon, Used to be a Cop...) are frequent enough though, and he's a great frontman.  The fact that the principal songwriters in one band were once Hood, Cooley and Isbell is a pretty big deal, and Decoration Day/The Dirty South are still highlights of a consistently good career.

Civil Wars count for me, Americana/country/whatever, I try not to waste time with specific genre snobbery. I bought the first album, haven't got the second yet.
  • The second is brilliant IMO! They just recently announced they had parted ways. Pretty sad but if they've decided it has run its course then no need to release bad albums!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was giving that Hayes Carll a listen yesterday and that duet popped up on YouTube, really enjoyed it. I can't make London next week unfortunately, else might well have taken you up on that offer

Not strictly a duet, but the harmonies Audra Mae brings to this track make my ears smile. In fact it drove me mad a couple of years ago trying to find out who she was. I love bubblegum, and was amazed that she kinda brought that flavour to folky/country stuff 

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • So this band Desert Noises did a cover of a song, and I really loved it.

And I found the original, now I don't know which I like the best.

Desert Noises I think are pretty great, they're kinda like a mix of Kings of Leon and Fleet Foxes but they're best when doing the country thing, for sure. This song is great!

• Not heard of them, will listen later. I've got that Kathleen Edwards album though, it's pretty good.

Speaking of pretty good, Hayes Carll tonight!
  • Best gig I've been to for a year or so. Too much Guinness for a week night but I'll live. Gutted I couldn't attend both nights, the second half seemed to be a quite genuine free-for-all with requests (rather than 'shout 'em out and we'll play the setlist anyway'). He told some great stories, in song form and just regaling the crowd with anecdotes. Wonderful stuff, happy as Larry I am.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Brilliant, really good to hear, it seems that the guys/gals within that genre are far more up for audience interaction. Ben Nichols and Austin Lucas both got proper involved with the audience whenever I've watched them
  • Ben Nichols rings a bell. Lucero? Did you see them at The Windmill?
  • Hello all.  I've got a couple of days off work, so I thought I'd post a little crap about John Prine, as I've devoted so much time to his music for the last year or so.  I wrote this in February:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've recently discovered John Prine, who writes the kind of witty/clever lyrics that I would consider the essence of 'my kind' of country music.  I'm all for the tales of shattered dreams and wrecked lives, of course, but I find something particularly rewarding about comedy in country. 

I'm sure if anyone watches these I'll be told they're not actually funny, but I love it.

Turns out I was wrong to dismiss Prine as light relief first and foremost.  At his best I think he chooses turns of phrase that most songwriters, at least in the circles of song writing that appeals so much to me, would love to call their own.  Thirteen months on and I now own 19 of his 20 albums (£20 second hand for the missing one...waiting on Zoverstocks to come up trumps), and devoting time to his lesser albums was far more rewarding than when I did the same thing with Dylan.  There's a new biography winging its way to me, and I know this thread isn't the hottest of hot stuff, but in light of the current forum dikbants I thought I'd resurrect it to point out how happy this one guy, who everyone I introduce him to seems to hate, makes me.  He probably doesn't have too long left, he's been battling cancer for a few years, so I'm raising a whisky to him in the middle of an excellent evening in my 'mancave' with the family safe and sound in a Leysdown caravan.  

Hopefully someone enjoys a track or two. 

Spiritualised fans can suck my fat one and keep an eye out for the nicked bit:

Mawkish genius that could only appeal in certain genres.  Another whisky!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!