Functioning like a professional for nothing. What do you recommend?
  • Facewon wrote:
    There's some very cool chrome extensions too. I have too many things going on with my desktop chrome to sync it completely with my phone, but it's still easy to access my bookmarks, and there's some good extensions that let you send things straight to mobile and such.

whats a good extension?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • If you're on andriod, mightytext. 

Pocket.
    Buffer. 

Not necessarily being business specific there, unless we're talking marketing or social media, or just being quick to find and file info from websites and articles. Trying to think what else I use that's specifically an extension as opposed to just a link. 
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • i'm using windows?!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Are you?!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think?!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • No idea why that text went mental.

Was posting from tablet so may have been too brief. Mightytext is awesome, allows for text messaging and alerts and a bunch of other stuff now from your desktop. I use it heaps. I don't know if it's on windows phone. (You can probably sign in with it as a webpage on IE, but it has alerts and useful pop ups and such on chrome.

Pocket also has a button in chrome. And other options if you right click. I really missed them when I was on IE for a bit.

Likewise buffer. (granted, unless your business is social media marketing, then buffer isn't super useful, but it's nice being able to share things easily or add to schedules directly from facebook's interface in one click.)

Also like diigo web. If you just need to be trawling a bunch of sites and articles for info and want to copy text and remember where you got it from, it's actually really amazing.
  • Also, if you're using IE, WTAF?
  • It was cool that the text size exploded after mightytext!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    If you want a slick to do app for iOS, Clear is free today only.
  • Giving it a try, 'cause I love my task managers, but it's going to have to be something special to tempt me away from Toodledo.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I've only DL'd it cos it's free, I'm hooked into Wunderlist now, great infrastructure, they just need to allow more customisation of the layout and it would be perfect.
  • Am I missing something? Just checked Wunderlist and it doesn't seem to have much but polished graphics.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You create master lists

You then create specific tasks

Task can have sub tasks and notes

You can upload files to notes

You can schedule notes, set reminders etc

You can also delegate tasks to team members if on Pro which costs, but we use it in our small company

It's all a synced nicely from desktop app to mobile app and also a web app

Really makes a huge difference on our web dev workflow.

We've tied a lot of difference task and project management tools and this works great for us.

The only bad thing is the fixed width UI, the main tasks are given the most space but the reality is you need more space on either the left and right panes.
  • Fair enough if it works for you. Just comes across as an under-featured Producteev to me.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Might give it a go but I don't always consider more features a positive in all apps.

IA Writer has probably less than 10% of the features of Word, it's a far superior writing app.

• Is there a more efficient way of adding a load of names and numbers to your iphone other than typing them all in on the phone?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Sync it with something else. I use Google; IIRC, there's something that lets you import a spreadsheet as contacts.
  • My HTC One X brought all my contacts over from my old Desire S without even asking me, which was nice. I didn't realise untill I got a text from someone that had their name. I don't know it that's just an Android thing, or if it would work with anything.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My HTC Sensation XE did the same when I upgraded from my HTC desire. Not sure if it's a Google contacts thing but it is good.
  • You can get an app to go from iPhone, Samsung etc to HTC. Works amazingly well as long as the info is on the phone not the SIM, works for all stuff not just contacts.
  • I just have a list of names and numbers at the moment so I'm gonna have to type them somehow. I'd just rather do that on the computer and transfer rather than on the phone itself.
    Must actually check icloud.com,I think there may be a contacts section on that.
    The option for different contacts e.g. Facebook contacts seems to be gone since the iOS update and I don't see an obvious way to import on the phone.
  • Settings > mail, contacts, calendars > add account

iCloud should work fine for what you're after, though. Only trouble comes if you want to transfer them to a device that isn't made by Apple.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Open Office is grand but I do think people overvalue spreadsheets to the detriment of databases. MS-SQL is brilliant, ubiquitous and mostly free until you get into silly amounts of data. With the game stats you want to record (points, fouls, court time etc) I think you should probably look in that or similar directions
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • http://www.sortd.com/

Gmail app/skin that looks like it might actually be useful.

Borrows from a lot of the other organiser tools and seems to get things right. Gonna give it a go for a while.
  • Ok, so it's actually in beta. 

Credit to them as well linking it to a website called product hunt. 

It's all a touch Zappos in there (see brooks's post in ills) but pretty good set up for giving feedback and seeing what their thinking is.

Suspect that this is part of the nature of app/online/startup land now. Perpetual itteration, even from apps aiming for the same market. No one has a patent on a list. So everyone is working from the same template. 

I know when I was messing with these google store extentions/apps more a couple of years ago, they were all trying to be linked to your cloud storage and email, by creating a seperate hub. Or starting as list apps, like wunderlist, and going from there, with email purely as a link/notification device, this appears to be bringing the mountain to mohammed, gonna use it for a while, see if it holds up.

Reckon it has the advantage of being something that's useful as a personal email clean up/layout method, and also aiming for people to use it in colab. Which is always where these things fall down.
  • I realise I may be talking to myself, but it actually works quite well with the gmail andriod app. In that the usual moving to folder stuff through the app has all the sortd options, so there's minimal double handling.

This is a plus.
  • I don't understand anything you just said.
  • Don't worry, unless you use Gmail for your work email, it doesn't really matter.
  • A little bit true. I use it for my basketball related stuff, but itch to end up somewhere not so outlook dependant.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!