Hippa to da Hoppa, you just don't stoppa
  • That'll be the treat for me, don't think I've heard it.
  • The Black Album is the goat, for me.

• The full Gav Experience involves causing havoc in Vice City while smoking copious amounts of hash whilst listening to it. Highly recommended.

Seriously though, the absolute best beats and bars combo he's ever came out with.
  • Haven't heard the Black Album for years, but I remember really liking a couple of tracks on it despite my distaste for Jay-Z.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • LOL Ozzy's just turned up on ELE.

Never fully understood the Jay Z love, I hear lots of quite good stuff whenever I've been directed to certain tracks/albums but nothing I've gone mad for.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    LOL Ozzy's just turned up on ELE.

Never fully understood the Jay Z love, I hear lots of quite good stuff whenever I've been directed to certain tracks/albums but nothing I've gone mad for.

I didn't get as far as Ozzy - couldn't take any more Busta.

I know what your mean about JZ, I've never understood the fuss - all style and no distance substance.
  • There's a sense of finality to TBA that for me makes it so special. It was framed by him as his last album, and it felt like that at the time. Prompted all the producers on it to bring their AAA game, and for me, it really shows.

Obviously, that retirement was short lived, and much more material has came out since which probably dilutes its importance.
  • Four tracks in and poised to roll in here with 'this was not what I was expecting AT ALL', then I realised I'd downloaded an acapella version and you have to search by album title rather than artist to find it on Tidal.

Back to track one...
  • Jay-Z's albums are really hit and miss for me, but Black Album is incredible. Beat selection is amazing as well, and you can tell he's giving it his all.

This, Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt are his best actual albums...otherwise just a few songs off the others (before Face says American Gangster)
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    (before Face says American Gangster)

lol. American Gangster.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I agree generally re the beats on black album. ye and Timbo kill it, as does Just blaze. The only minor quibble is no primo and a meh Em beat. (I dig the lyrics, but it's not Quik's best either.) Still, the majority is bang on.

Lyrically, I think it's worth watching his RnR HOF induction. Plenty of his lines have hit a lot harder for black folks than white boys, it seems.
  • 4:44 sneaky top 3 for me these days.
  • Facewon wrote:
    4:44 sneaky top 3 for me these days.

I should go back and listen to it again, didn't really get into it the first time around. He has some random off beat cadence with some of his rhymes that threw me, if I remember rightly
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I don't fancy another run at ELE. Was fine. Patchy but decent in places. Definitely not the album that makes me think 'Busta Rhymes! I misjudged him' though.

The Black Album is very good. Surprised that I don't recognise much of it, I assumed I would've known a few singles rather than just one or two. Won't enter the top tier for me but it's pretty consistent, which in itself is huge praise for a rap album.

5.5 and 7.5 I think. Think I'll have one more spin of Jay Z to see if it can hit an 8.
  • Blueprint 2.1 for me then.
  • Just skipped ahead to Q-Tip. Solid album. Even when I don't think Q-tip is amazing, he just seems like such a nice dude, with such an awesome voice that I dig him. Some great stuff on this album.

On to Death Cert now.
  • So, the Black Album. Again, listened whilst doing the weekly shop - which seems to be a great way of listening for me for some reason.

Anyway. Enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting, mainly because of the production which is first rate. He's obviously a great emcee, of that there is no doubt, and I actually noticed a lot more depth of lyrical content than I did last time I listened to this. However, there's just something that doesn't click with me and JZ. There's just too much shallow posturing and blandness for me to really buy into him. That said, Dirt Off Your Shoulder is an absolutely monumental tune.
  • There's some great BTS footage of him and Timbaland in the studio recording that one. Timbo is going through beats, nothings standing out, and he almost skips by it. Jay tells him no wait a minute and it plays out, you can see Jay knows right away he loves it and what he's about to do. Quality stuff.

Another good Jay-Z BTS moment is when Just Blaze lays down the drums for Show Me What You Got. Absolutely insane bit of drumming.
  • Week three

46. The Renaissance - Q Tip

s-l400.jpg

45. Death Certificate - Ice Cube

OIP.2XJA4FNDxEHKc_0iuH2vbgAAAA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

I've got these two.  Looking forward to revisiting the Q Tip album because I remember not actually liking it all that much, but there was definitely a particular track I was obsessed with for ages that made it onto plenty of playlists.
  • Surprised to see that Tip album considered ahead of his first one, Amplified. That was banger after banger.

Although, track 2 off Renaissance (won't trade iir) has that great Ruby Andrews sample, that always use to get me.
  • Never heard the Q-Tip album so that'll be a treat. Death Certificate is one of my all timers, but I haven't heard it in a while.

This was a great idea Moot.
  • I have them occasionally.  Enjoying it too. 

Won't Trade is a great track but the Q Tip album didn't dazzle me on first listen.  I can't really fault it, some of it's just not for me.  I love the start of Johnny is Dead for example, but when it leans into R&B for the chorus it loses me.
  • Listened to Death Certificate a couple of times. Don't like it as much as Amerikkka's. Production is okay but doesn't pack as much of a punch as his previous album. He also comes across as a nasty prick at times, which I was expecting but not expecting to feel the need to comment on. The diss tracks didn't land for me either. True To The Game fans the flames under the beef but it's a weak single otherwise. Not an awful record but I'm not a fan.
  • Doing Dumb Shit is my track of choice.
  • No Vaseline is surely the greatest diss track ever?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    ^ Ooo...

Now that's a topic.

Starter for 10...

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • nick_md wrote:
    No Vaseline is surely the greatest diss track ever?

It's no F.U.R.B.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm looking for a music project to get stuck into and decided listening to a top 50 list in order might be fun. I quite like the look of this one: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.one37pm.com/culture/music/best-hip-hop-albums/amp I'll probably post mini reviews in here, don't suppose anyone fancies giving it a go too? No pressure to do each and every one obvs.

Has this link corrupted/changed since you posted it? I get some random stuff about a typekit service. I probably won't post much in response but will follow along as I enjoy reading impressions from everyone.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Going back to Busta's ELE briefly, it's one of those 'moment in time' albums for me so find it difficult to listen to objectively. It's not as strong as I remember but still feels like a great party album. Beats are generally stronger than lyrics and was soon bouncing along in my chair despite myself.
  • I get the same thing now. Will fix shortly.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!