PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Sorted, cheers!
  • I was getting that error sometimes and not others. Thanks for fixing though.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Q-Tip: The Renaissance. Did not expect to like this at all but it made me realise that I had a completely irrational dislike of him that was based entirely on how much I hated the (non)word 'Vivrant'. Anyway, loved this album - he's a great MC and lyricist and the production is superb.

Ice Cube: Death Certificate. It's impossible for me to be objective about this record as it's one of the albums that I grew up with and got me into hip-hop. I love almost every track on it and although, yes, it's an unpleasant listen at times I always rationalised that away by thinking that these were ghetto stories he was telling from the perspective off a character he was playing rather than deeply held personal beliefs. It's an uncomfortable listen at times though.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • 44. Supreme Clientele - Ghostface Killah (2000)

GhostfaceKillahSupremeClientele.jpg

43. Trap Muzik - T.I (2003)

Trap_muzik_b0000akqgt.jpg

Ghostface album is great.  I've got one T.I album and it's not that.
  • R.E Death Certificate the content was representative of a lot of hip hop at the time.  Personally speaking I couldn't just flip a switch and decide not to/never to allow myself to enjoy something if I already loved it.  A big chunk of it wouldn't fly these days and damn right, but listening to a 30yr old rap record is quite likely to be a minefield of varying-sized yikes.  Definitely goes with the territory to an extent.
  • Looking forward to revisiting Ghostface, not looking forward to hearing T.I.
  • Quite enjoyed another ti album. He's fine. If it's trap all the way through I'll last 5 minutes though.
  • Ghostface album is so good. Really like his solo stuff (most of the time).

Not fussed in T.I as I'm not a massive trap fan. Might stick it on in the gym.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Supreme Clientele would get the nod in most weeks.  After Liquid Swords it's my favourite solo Wu Tang effort.  [8]

Trap Muzik is fine.  Better than fine in places really, at least couple of tracks are really good, but I already know I'll probably never listen to it again.  I've only listened to King two or three times so if I get a T.I. itch I'll continue to scratch it with that.  He is good, just doesn't quite hit the spot for me.  [6.5]
  • Gave Trap Muzik a go and lasted through the first track and half of the second, then skipped through a few more. Fucking awful. There's nothing I like about it - shit production, shit lyrics, shit voice.

It's not for me.
  • Supreme Clientele is probably in my top 10 albums of all time.

I have very fond memories of getting it on import on release from some hip-hop place in Stratford Centre (the old one, pre-Westfield and Olympic Park!)

There were some variations of tracks between UK and US, and this was further muddled in the move to streaming services. You can still hear the parts where they chopped and changed things, when certain samples trail off. I remember one track featured a mix into his verse from Impossible off of Wu-Tang Forver. The version I had also featured 'Wise', which doesn't seem to be on most released versions, but then oddly turned up on Hidden Darts 10 years later! That's such a big tune, and worth checking out. It's on Spotify at least.
  • Supreme Clientele is very good. Have to admit it came out at a time where I was less up on what Wu were doing, so I'm coming to it with less prior knowledge. 

unsure if I'm listening to a deluxe version or something, but damn 20+ tracks and some long interludes, it's great but it could do with some editing, big time.

Still, same as when I listen to the various Tom Caruna remix albums with beatles/Jimi/whoever beats and Wu on the top, they're just perpetually entertaining as fuck.

Will do TI later.

Then probably post the actual bangers TI has done over the course instead of this album.
  • Jesus, this TI first track is ass.
  • ok, there's a couple of minor bangers in the middle. production hasn't aged well at all though.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Jesus, this TI album is ass.

Ftfy
  • I think you'll find it's the 43rd best hip hop album of all time.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think you'll find it's the 43rd best hip hop album of all time.

I think I could probably name 43 albums better than itb that deserve that placing.

Anyway. Supreme Clientele. I love Ghostface, I think he's one of the greatest MCs to ever pick up a mic. I love Rza's production too, that mix of lo-fi sampling and soul grooves. But this was just too long with too many average to poor tracks. I feel about this the same way I feel about grindcore or black metal, I love a little bit but too much is just overwhelming. The good stuff on it though is exceptional.
  • Moving onto the next two now, as it's weekly big shop time.
  • 42. 2001 - Dr. Dre (1999)

R.bd37a5e7715786c6595397165c831330?rik=bMch9dvsji8LAQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fecx.images-amazon.com%2fimages%2fI%2f311WPZWQDJL.jpg&ehk=B7pzB3XIzrNs8PZlWW34R0NRJ1szZr%2fbNb57IeD3yFQ%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

41. Critical Beatdown - Ultramagnetic MCs (1988)

9c9d0ff357afa35123b34cf8db559ce7.jpg
  • FFS I've been waiting to post that since we started.  Youtube shorts don't embed, apparently.
  • 2001 is, pretty simply, the album that got me into hip hop. Came out when I was about 13/14 and set me up for life. Incredible album, for me at least. You absolutely cannot fault the production, although the lyrics are a bit hit and miss. Interested to see what else gets placed above it tbh, as surely it must've been one of the most important hip hop albums of the last 30 years, if only in cultural impact?
  • MattyJ wrote:
    2001 is, pretty simply, the album that got me into hip hop. Came out when I was about 13/14 and set me up for life. Incredible album, for me at least. You absolutely cannot fault the production, although the lyrics are a bit hit and miss. Interested to see what else gets placed above it tbh, as surely it must've been one of the most important hip hop albums of the last 30 years, if only in cultural impact?
    I think you'll find that that was The Chronic.
  • Oh, and 41 use BDP not Missy.
  • It's Ultramagnetic MCs. Which actually is one of the best. Don't skip it.
  • JonB wrote:
    It's Ultramagnetic MCs. Which actually is one of the best. Don't skip it.

Goddamn my malfunctioning brain, so it is. I've been looking forward to that one - never heard it.
  • Shit sorry. I blame the fact that the website takes so long to load on my phone. Will fix shortly.
  • Gremill wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    2001 is, pretty simply, the album that got me into hip hop. Came out when I was about 13/14 and set me up for life. Incredible album, for me at least. You absolutely cannot fault the production, although the lyrics are a bit hit and miss. Interested to see what else gets placed above it tbh, as surely it must've been one of the most important hip hop albums of the last 30 years, if only in cultural impact?

Hey I said one of... And I'd say both are huge impacts.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:

Hey I said one of... And I'd say both are huge impacts.

The Chronic pretty much changed the entire landscape of hip hop when it was released. I'm enjoying 2001 but it was more of the (admittedly excellent) same.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!