The Videogame music thread (RemiXXX 2020 dubstep club ed.)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    SFII music is on par with it for memorability I think, but that's like 8 stages or whatever, Mario's consistently had bangers for years innit.
    Good point. I think maybe a hard question would be which mario game has the best music. I'd plump for either SMW or 64.

They are the peak. I'd put Yoshi's Island alongside them though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    It's not even close in 2020, this is an absolute banger, best credit roll track of a game I can recall in a very long time.  Oh and I also really enjoy Mario games music, they somehow manage to make their songs really fun and inviting, definitely makes me want to take the little plumber out for a spin whenever I hear a bit.

Contender for top 5 videogame pieces of music ever for me is 'In the Blood'

Mario music is so good because the riffs are used consistently, but in differing ways depending on context, and it really helps to tie it all together in a cohesive soundtrack
  • Haven't gotten there in the game, but sounds ok from a quick listen.  The finale of Journey though is most easily the bestest.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • In honor of thread title

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Star Fetchers (Pilot)

The game itself is quirky and wild and violent, crawling out from the same unknown place in Sweden that gave birth to Hotline Miami.

It's not as good (not yet, anyway), but hilarious and as the music will prove, stylish like hell.

Best title screen track of the year?

And this is pure class

And this while going on yet another killing spree

It's a world of truck drivers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Still love this for pure kookiness.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @nick_mid  - did you ever give Vib Ribbon a look?

It's main hook for me is the fact that it generate levels from any music CD. I haven't played it in a long time though I have to admit. I beat the in built tunes (only 6 tracks) and tried some of my own CDs and it generated some head spinningly difficult courses :)

There are 4 buttons used to get past 4 basic obstacles. The game generates an assault course made of these obstacles and they are to be tackled to a pace dictated by the music. The obstacles can be combined into 2 to create a new one requiring the 2 relevant buttons to be pressed at the same time to successfully navigate it. It takes this and then adds in changes of viewing angles and other tricks like obstacles moving in front of others as you move down the track try and put you off. 

Your character evolves with combos and devolves with mistakes.

It isn't a pure rhythm game but I can't really put it into any other category.
  • Apologies if this has been shared before but it just popped up in my feed and gave me the feels. Basically Youtube pianist tutor and non gamer coming across SoR2 soundtrack for the first time:

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • So this is the OG vg music thread. I think.

On a similar tip, I watched this yesterday:

I've shared the 8 Bit Big Band before, their arrangement of Passing Breeze is incredible. Here their touring bass player goes into how jazz has influenced vg music and now vg music is influencing jazz. Good stuff.

Really wanna see them live now.
  • Eric wrote:
    Apologies if this has been shared before but it just popped up in my feed and gave me the feels. Basically Youtube pianist tutor and non gamer coming across SoR2 soundtrack for the first time:

That popped up on my feed a few days ago and I thought of sharing it here but wasn’t sure if there were other fans of the OST. I shared on B&B Discord and also said:

Is it weird that I’ve never played the game, don’t care to do so, but love the OST so much? It’s amazing.

In the SNES MD days, my MD owning mate and I, with my SNES, used to swap soundtracks.
  • I mean, just an hour ago, following pics in the vinyl thread, I hovered my finger over buying the SoR2 vinyl on Data Discs… but I don’t actually have a record player
  • I'm due to buy 2 very, very soon. Great vid, that. Would love him to do Outrun which is basically a ridiculous samba jazz album.
  • That Okami vinyl oh my and then I went to eBay and people selling the limited version I think for like over £400 wtf
  • Just bought SoR2 from iTunes and listening while working on some repetitive mundane shit today.  Sounds great on my Sonos setup.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!