• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Situation in Israel and Palestine not good, is it? Let’s hope this de-escalates soon for the sake of both sides and the innocent civilians. 

Israel is apparently planning a ground offensive.

It’s horrifying what’s happening over there.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mob-lynching-arab-aired-live-205205450.html
  • Yeah. And there’s fighting and riots over the country.  Mob lynching.  Not good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Solidarity with Palestine. Absolutely shocking what Israel is doing.
  • 'both sides need to exercise restraint' is  not the balanced statement people seem to think it is. I'm seeing it everywhere
  • The one that always sticks out to me is "Israel launch airstrike" while Hamas "Launch 130 rockets".

There is a clear emotive difference there.
  • Yep. Plus the air strikes are most often framed as the response. Headlines won't allow for the Palestinians to be the rational actors.
  • The whole thing is a complete disaster.
  • Nice clear demonstration of the asymmetry at play here -

o6PDLaF.png

• poprock wrote:
    Fallout from the anti-Corbyn media campaign is that no UK politician can mention the situation or the people on either side. It’d be career suicide.

It goes on everywhere...

Israeli ambassador accuses Irish politicians of spewing ‘hate’ towards Jewish state (irishtimes.com)

Its an interesting article. Israel Government have done such a good job on keeping the line going that a critique of Israel is a critique of Jewish People overall.

Funny how the Israel Ambassador doesnt understand the "painful experience" Ireland had with "complex conflicts" very well. There's a reason a lot of Irish feel empathy with Palestine. 

Anyway, I think I should be allowed to say that I fucking hate the actions of the Israeli Government in their overall treatment of Palestine and I am very disappointed in the Israeli population who by and large endorse this behaviour. It's nothing to do with people of a Jewish faith. Although I do have problems with any country that is purely non-secular. It only seems to lead to problems.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There shouldn’t be any question of your right to call out the Israeli government or army for their actions.
  • I don’t know how much this has been reported outside if Scotland, so I thought I’d put it up here just in case the answer is ‘not at all’.

Background: Nicola Sturgeon’s own constituency is in the Southside of Glasgow and is officially the most culturally diverse area in Scotland. Today she was being sworn in as First Minister for the sixth time. Today is also Eid.

Deep background: Glasgow has a shameful recent-ish history of ‘dawn raids’ on the homes of asylum seekers, bundling them forcibly into custody for deportation. Whole families disappear from their communities without warning. If you’ve ever heard of the Glasgow Girls, or seen the play or TV movie about them, you’ll know the score well. Most people believe this practice was ended years ago. It wasn’t.

This morning immigration officers raided a home in Pollokshields. The neighbours blocked their van in, shared photos on Twitter, and called for the First Minister to intervene. Within hours the street was full of protestors and that van was going nowhere. By this afternoon the Police were called in – not to take anyone away, but to ensure the safety of the protestors. This evening, the Home Office have relented and the men detained have been released – they are free to go.

Peaceful protest worked.

This whole fiasco was no mistake though. The Home Office, run from Westminster, sent in to knock heads together in the middle of Sturgeon’s own constituency, on a holy day for much of the community, while she’s busy being sworn in at the Scottish Parliament.

Bit of a fucking embarrassment all round, but it’s the Home Office being sent away with a bloody nose. And it amplifies the problem - lets the rest of the UK see what the Home Office have been doing here for years.

skynews-kenmure-glasgow-protest_5380194.jpg?bypass-service-worker&20210513144818
    skynews-kenmure-glasgow-immmigration_5380172.jpg?bypass-service-worker&20210513143631
    skynews-glasgow-kenmure-immigration_5380202.jpg?bypass-service-worker&20210513145035
    E1SFJXdWEAUJHE6.jpg
  • Used to stay on that street, and felt nothing but warmth from the surrounding people and businesses while I was there, glad to see the community take a stand. Lovely part of town.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If it was deliberate, it was pretty dumb, but then, Priti Patel’s in charge of the Home Office, so yeah, quite possible.
  • Well done, Weegies.  Good stuff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It seems like a cruel inversion of history to see Jewish hate mobs rounding up and beating and murdering Arabs and destroying their houses, like animals.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    If it was deliberate, it was pretty dumb, but then, Priti Patel’s in charge of the Home Office, so yeah, quite possible.

There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that this was deliberate 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/13/cruel-paranoid-failing-priti-patel-inside-the-home-office
  • I was going to ask if anyone knew if that protest was still going on as I was trying to figure out how to send them all a load of pizzas.  Pleased to hear it's over, with the right result.  Good work fine Glaswegian people.
  • It's over, for now though. What worries me is them trying again in the middle of the night in the near future. Hopefully something more concrete legislative for these men can happen too.
  • It was thought that dawn raids were no longer used in Scotland, but they’ve definitely started up again over the last few months. The Home Office are using them to remove asylum seekers from the temporary accommodation (hotels etc) they’ve been placed in during the pandemic while waiting for appeal outcomes. This move today was an escalation - a return to using dawn raids to grab people from settled homes.
  • cuzSZy3.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Genuinely moving stuff.
  • Kow wrote:
    It seems like a cruel inversion of history to see Jewish hate mobs rounding up and beating and murdering Arabs and destroying their houses, like animals.

Yep. Been fascinating watching the bots and auto responses on twitter to any criticism.

It really is the most obvious and consistent bit of bs/pr.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Yep. Been fascinating watching the bots and auto responses on twitter to any criticism.

It really is the most obvious and consistent bit of bs/pr.

From the Holocaust to a conservative ethnostate practicing what is essentially apartheid. And now ethnic mob violence, it's certainly a cruel bitter twist of fate. I hope this doesn't spiral out of control.

Also, the Glaswegian stuff is heartwarming. Great reporting poprock!

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Shame about the dumb as rocks union NEC member who tweeted Patel should be deported, distracting all attention away from the dawn raid, the community coming together and the positive result

What the fuck is wrong with these people and their use / understanding of social networks, and general dumb fuckery. How do they get to these positions of power and influence?
  • Kow wrote:

Convince people they are victims are you can have them do anything.
    The Jewish people are historic victims, modern Israelis are not.
    They are brain washed from birth. Prime example was Gal Gadot's tweets yesterday.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Hope she didn’t tweet from an iPhone.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Kow wrote:

Convince people they are victims are you can have them do anything.
    The Jewish people are historic victims, modern Israelis are not.
    They are brain washed from birth. Prime example was Gal Gadot's tweets yesterday.

I don't think a community should forget or even forgive past oppression, especially not something so brutal. Every nation has a history. But that's no justification for what they're doing, nor a get out of jail free card from international repercussions.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is pre emptively annihilating your enemy a "right to defend yourself"?

There's basically no solution to this while the US unequivocally comes down on Israel's side.
  • Bibi has pulled this rabblerousing shit forever of course, but they're generally aware that the US umbrella that sanctioned their approach is starting to contract globally, which means they actually have to operate as a diplomatically sensitive and reasonable entity in their region at last. A stable state doesn't lash out like this.
    The US has to cut ties, but they also have a responsibility to not leave the Israeli admin in a position to play the absolute cunt once they're properly gone.
  • Unfortunately that may well only amount to "we'll continue to bankroll you exceptionally but only if you stop being Apartheid criminals, it's kind of bad look bro".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!