Current Affairs
  • I don't care. US healthcare provision is also appalling and amounts to its own catalogue of less sensational atrocious outcomes, for instance.

It's their business I'm afraid. This has been true for the Middle East for several decades, remains so for the Far East. It will be shit, the only choice is whether you want it all over yourself too.
  • But Colonialism/Capitalism bringing civilization and saving the world etc.!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And Jesus, don't forget Jesus.
  • Kow wrote:
    And Jesus, don't forget Jesus.

dont-fuck-with-the-jesus.jpg

SFV - reddave360
  • Brooks wrote:
    I don't care. US healthcare provision is also appalling and amounts to its own catalogue of less sensational atrocious outcomes, for instance.

It's their business I'm afraid. This has been true for the Middle East for several decades, remains so for the Far East. It will be shit, the only choice is whether you want it all over yourself too.

You don't care that China is liquidating it's own minority population? Whatever the deficiencies in the US healthcare system that no doubt results in many needless deaths in its society, it is no way comparable to the willful genocide that the Chinese state is currently guilty of. Bizzare argument.

And it becomes everyone's business if China is allowed to overthrow a democratically elected government in Taiwan via an act of aggression. What we're looking at there is the destruction of the international rules based system. It would be a free-for-all after that, with every tin pot nation around the world choosing to settle its border disputes with force.

Let's not use the folly of the West's history of mis-intervention and failed nation building in the Middle East as evidence that it shouldn't get involved in maintaining peace in the Far East. Ill-judged attempts to grow democracy in the desert shouldn't be compared to attempts to safeguard and protect it in the Western Pacific.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Let's not kid ourselves here.
    Politics (powered by Capitalism) in the West only interferes if and when there's something to gain. It doesn't care for people, it doesn't care for human rights and certainly not the planet. Only when disruption of the status quo (the flow of global finances) or definite political/financial gain is attainable, force will be used.

Taiwan is currently only important to the west because of some silicon foundries located there. Would they risk war if China reclaimed the island? Not sure but not out of the question either since the US is terrified of losing their nr1 position to China.

As for taking the moral high ground, China is fucking terrible. On the other hand the West really has no right to talk down to China considering our shitty recent colonial past, how we obtained the nr.1 spot in the world in the first place (see the racism thread) and consolidating that position at the expense of others.
  • I don't care to do anything about it because it absolutely nothing to do with me and I have no agency in the case whatsoever. None of us do. I could get myself in a right tizzy over it, but that seems sad and exhausting.

What we're looking at there is the destruction of the international rules based system. It would be a free-for-all after that, with every tin pot nation around the world choosing to settle its border disputes with force.
    Oh noes muh precious international rules based system, which no major player has basically shat on in living memory already at all.

Let's not use the folly of the West's history of mis-intervention and failed nation building in the Middle East as evidence that it shouldn't get involved in maintaining peace in the Far East.
    Why the fuck not?
  • Taiwan is currently only important to the west because of some silicon foundries located there.

I would cum in my tights if this kind of transparency was published by various state depts and foreign offices, but these people are also absolute cowards incapable of levelling with their electorates and actually coming to a reasonable conclusion. It's just not polite.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There has been one moderately successful military intervention from the West in my lifetime; the Balkans, and even then that can fairly be described as "a bit of a shit show".

There is absolutely nothing we could or should do militarily to prevent China from annexing Taiwan if they choose to, without cause 10s of thousands of additional deaths (at a minimum).

If the West was really interested in stopping the Chinese excesses then they could impose sanctions and trade embargoes etc, but they won't because that would damage the global economy and probably get them unelected so...

... despite hating what China is doing I'm kind of with Brooks on this. There really is fuck all we could or should do (other than what the US is already doing and offering limited military support to Taiwan).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    By success in the Balkans you mean that time we bombed the shit out of a country in order to tell them that bombing the shit out of a country was not acceptable?
  • I’m totally with Brooks. If govs ever get their shit together and give the UN or some other supra national org some actual toothy powers which are also somewhat fairly representative of smaller / poorer nations’ interests then sure fine

But rich western countries going to war with rich eastern country for fake humanitarian / obscene “democracy spreading” lying / actual status quo maintaining strategic and handy populism reasons is gross
  • Kow wrote:
    By success in the Balkans you mean that time we bombed the shit out of a country in order to tell them that bombing the shit out of a country was not acceptable?

No it was the facilitation of genocide
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It was the usual wade in with the bombs response that doesn't lead anywhere. Kosovo is still under permanent military supervision all these years later.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Same with Libya - oho dictator, send in the bombs. Where are we now?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:

More the fact that we managed to leave at some point and left a reasonably well functioning country behind and not an utter shit show.

NB. I did say "moderately successful".

And that is a relative assessment using Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria and Lybia as benchmarks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    NATO forces are still in Kosovo. We didn't leave.
  • Also, the faillure of the UN and Dutchbat in the massacre of Srebrenica.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srebrenica_massacre

It happemed live on tv and the world didn't bat an eyelid and no help was sent to stop it. Karremans probably still suffers from nightmares and full blown ptsd.
  • But Taiwan is a stable democracy. All the other examples cited here of failed Western interventions are in states already torn apart by civil war or run by despots. Preventing China from marching into Taiwan is in all our interests I'd argue. To say we have no agency in the Chinese genocidal campaign against its minorities is tantamount to saying 'ah fuck the Nazis, they're only after the Jews, not our fight'.

Chinese expansionism needs to be checked, just like Fascism was in the 40's. From building countless artificial islands in the Pacific to illegally expand their territory to trying to cover up a killer virus until it was too late, China can just get to fuck. A few more joint Taiwanese / US military exercises should help curtail their aggressiveness.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Thing is, no one went to war with Germany in '39 because of The Jews, it was entirely about a complicated web of alliances dominoing coupled with very basic territorial defence against a state that was running out of time and juice to keep itself together but was very capable, within the swelling means of national branding, of making itself look well scary.
    The framing of the conflict as a human rights adventure is convenient revisionism that would have surprised most at the time. Most players would've been quite content with ze Germans had they stuck to smooshing communists.
  • If the Germans had stopped in CZ and PL and Austria (though they were pretty much invited in, there) they'd probably still be there
  • China have already done a number on the West by being the world's factory.
    Without regular shipments of Chinese components I would suggest we could be fucked relatively quickly.
    Its not just capitalist consumer tat either, its bloody everything. 
    I'm reminded of the early stages of the pandemic when Chinese manufacture slowed/halted for a short time and the WD40 people were panicking because they didnt have the little nozzles that go on top of the can.

How many WD40 nozzle type components are we reliant on? How many are our military reliant on?
    I'm gonna guess we dont have a clue but China probably does.

We will be on to a loser facing off against China before we even begin to look at cyber warfare or god forbid nuclear or chemical.
  • And yet they’ve still felt the need to develop (and show off) a paradigm-shifting weapon of mass destruction.
  • Done it before the U.S did so the U.S can't say "Oi turn the machines backs on"

edit:
    Also jingoism.
    "We've got the biggest willy gun."
  • Again, I agree with Brooks.
    Comparing China with 30's Nazi Germany is just wrong and short sighted. Effectively, the Chinese civil war never ended and the Communists could take Taiwan if they wanted to. Imo, it's an internal affair between the 2 Chinese states and we should butt the fuck out. Diplomacy fine, military intervention no.
  • The irony being we (the west) instigating China's civil war (let's dump opium there!) in order to destabilise and colonise them, remember?

That intervention went well.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    NATO forces are still in Kosovo. We didn't leave.

Yeah, but...
  • I don't share the general apathy for the genocide and horrific human rights violations, but a civilisation-ending war should be avoided at all costs. Sadly the best strategy probably is MAD, and things like 'tripwire' forces such as the US troops currently stationed in Taiwan.

Humans, eh?
  • There’s been an attack on a train in Tokyo. A bloke dressed as the Joker has stabbed, gassed, thrown acid and started a fire. 17 injured.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/knife-arson-acid-attack-tokyo-train-leaves-about-10-injured-media-2021-10-31/
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    :-(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!