Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Explain this: take a three digit number, write it down twice. That six digit number oise always divisible by 13.
  • Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Not sure if this is the right thread (working my way through the code and techy threads too, stumbled onto posts by Lazy and quit for a bit)

I'm picking up maths again, mainly as I wanna learn to code (focusing on shaders and visual effects). I'm watching this series on linear algebra, and I feel like I understand what's going on, but every time I get stuck trying to write it down.

My main question is, I think, how do you go about that if you don't know where î and j^ will land? (sorry, can't find the correct j, ^needs to replace the dot.) I've made a polka dot pattern, but the dots are currently in straight lines next to, and on top of each other. What I've seen in examples is that I need to create a matrix, and rotate that by 45 degrees, so that they're organized better, like this
    Ugh, img doesn't work, might give it another shot if I'm not on tablet and no one understands what I'm going for otherwise...

I don't know where my basis vectors will be exactly (he might point that out in a further video, but I feel like I need to write it down now). This confuses me, being able to do what he does seems to require a few known numbers already, am I right?
    I don't think I'm ready yet to write it down in actual code (as that's even more complicated) but I wonder how the maths work if you only know your current point and rotation angle. He does 90 degrees in the video, but that seems easier as you land on the grid lines. I'm probably missing something

And another thing, I'm going through khan academy a bit, but the most annoying thing is he seems to learn how to solve things without a calculator. I'm not interested in solving square roots or powers (for example), but I am interested in when and how to use them. Anyone any tips for that? Or am I watching the wrong videos at Khan?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    BBC wrote:
    Some 15% of high school students said they had used marijuana within the previous 30 days, found the report for the National Institute on Drug Abuse.

And 12.1% of students said they had used a vaping device. But only 5% had smoked cigarettes.

One in 10 high school seniors said he or she had vaped marijuana at least once in the past year.

One in 10 = 10%. So more high school students had used marijuana in 3 months than high school seniors had vaped marijuana in 12m? How is vaping different to using? How are seniors different to students. Nnnggg.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Vaped vs smoked/eaten i guess? Maybe i need to git gud at drugs.
  • Yup. ‘Used’ covers all consumption, with ‘smoked’ and ‘vaped’ being smaller subsets.
  • Have we had this yet?

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fortunately not
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But then I'm a pure mathematician so I'm struggling to work out whether that's someone having an over-long laugh or actual physicists being nuts.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm not a pure mathematician, but that guy is talking crap. Even in physics he falls down at the very start

"It's either 1 or 0 so call it half, because quantum physics says so"

No, no it doesn't, else Schroedingers cat would have been in a coma, idiot. He sounds more like Nottingham Trent University than Nottingham
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It may be a spoof
  • That was kind of fun. No it's not a spoof.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well he's talking nonsense maths. Maybe there's some interesting related physics but he should talk about that instead. You can prove anything with divergent infinite series.
  • That limit is actually used in string theory.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Well he's talking nonsense maths. Maybe there's some interesting related physics but he should talk about that instead. You can prove anything with divergent infinite series.

You're just scared. Admittedly, saying it "sums to -1/12" might be pushing it, but it can certainly be "expressed" as -1/12. This is what happens if you have an infinite amount of dimensions in a (possibly) finite Universe.
  • That limit is actually used in string theory.

As muzzy said, you can prove anything with infinite diverging sets. :p
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • That doesn't stop it being true!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I went to bed at 5 in the morning. That video makes me feel poorly.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm not a physicist either, if you don't know if an article has upspin or down spin do you assume it has no spin? Genuinely wondering because that is what he does to do those numbers
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • That doesn't stop it being true!

That's the motto for string theory, isn't it?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    That doesn't stop it being true!

That's the motto for string theory, isn't it?

It certainly could be. String theory, as I understand it which isn't that well, is all about the maths to an unusual degree. It's very wishy washy, but it's not the only branch of physics where that series is used. Physics had largely got away from using diverging infinite series, thank God, but they're not ruled out. You can use waves, like in Quantum Mechanics for example but there might be cases in the future that will need to use infinites.
  • It's been a while, but infinites in physics seem to be dodged via renormalization, don't they? 

All I remember of string theory is that there were inconvenient supernovae that ruled out some of STs bigger claims. I'll find the details assuming you don't know what I'm referring to.
  • Captain String would have something to say about all this nonsense.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • They interview Edward Frenkel about it and there's some nice links on the Youtube page too.

Yeah Vela, don't know much about ST but seems it's not going well.
  • Being falsifiable would help. It's allegedly very nice mathematics but terrible at making predictions and fitting with observations.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/roots-of-unity/does-123-really-equal-112/ is a decent read on this.

My inclination is very much as a mathematician, so the limits jazz. Not too knowledgeable on Riemann / analytical cobtinuation stuff, i can believe there's singe funky stuff there, but a rather different interpretation to what the original sum seems to be asking.

Intrigued, yes. Scared? Eh? No.
  • I'm a bit scared. Well maybe not scared but something. Personally I find it an exciting result and don't think it's totally bullshit. The fact you can substitute it for an infinite divergent series and get an accurate result is pretty mindblowing, however it turns out.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye. I'd like to properly understand the actual context though. How is "accurate" defined? How confidently is it both the "sum" of that series and minus whatever. I know a string theorist (aka "mum") so will see what i can find out...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    How is "accurate" defined?

To about 10 decimal places apparently. One of my friends works at Stanford and I only see him over Christmas. It was he who mentioned this whole thing during a drinks the other day. I didn't know it was a thing but it's used in a few areas of Quantum Physics and apparently it works beautifully. It's clearly not the sum, but it's also clearly a good enough finite value to substitute for an accurate result. There's something in it, and that's mental.
  • Although the string theory bit isn't apparently doing well. He reckons that series crops up quite a bit in other areas.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!