Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yet to see Lighthouse. Had cinema tickets for it and arsehole buddy let me down...was going to go myself and then something else came up.  grrrr.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Got some days off, so planning to catch up on some films I haven't seen and boy, there's lots of them. Here's a list of just some of them - tell me what I should watch: The Lighthouse Another Round Pig Unstoppable The Wrestler Parasite Saint Maude Sound of Metal Encounter

Out of films I've seen on that list, in this order:

Parasite 1000%
    Saint Maud
    The Wrestler
    The Lighthouse
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I watched Bait and Lighthouse on the same glorious day a couple of years ago.

I did a Lighthouse and Parasite double bill in Picturehouse Central in Feb 2020.  What a night.
  • Another Round.
    A beautiful hymn to the highs and lows of alcohol, shot through with a heartfelt and often hilarious study of middle aged men and the things that make us the way we are. This may be the best film I watch this year - I can't think what might be better. It's rare that a film can make me cry with joy, but goddamn that final scene is perfect. 10
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yep. It's an amazing film for sure.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mads Mikkelson is one of those proper all-round talents.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My wife would leave me for Mads. I would probably leave her for him too,tbh.

We watched Inside by Bo Burnham last night which kind of isn't a movie but is 90 mins long. I remember Burnham from his early YouTube days, and then fell off. To see his progress as an insight and a performer is incredible. He really nails the whole weirdness of the pandemic in the "movie" and showing his messy ass room is so very human, as well as his hair /beard at the tail end in a Matrix 4 way, is just incredible. If you want to parse the past 2 years, watch this.
  • I read that knowing about him helps one appreciate the film Promising Young Woman a bit.
  • Inside was really quite an incredible piece of art.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    And Eighth Grade is a brilliantly directed film.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Inside was really quite an incredible piece of art.

Eyýyy
    jdanielp wrote:
    And Eighth Grade is a brilliantly directed film.

Eyyyyyyyy

• Inside was great but let's not kid ourselves his life was anything remotely similar to what he portrayed in the film during lockdown.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mate let's do higher media where we discuss that the representation of a person is not who they are.

This is a very well edited movie and I'm sure incredibly curated but it's the only sense I've seen in the industry of dealing with that 2 years so why not celebrate it?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Watched Encanto. Perfectly fine Disney-em-up. Starting to feel like we're overdue a full-on five star film from them though – Moana was five years ago.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I caught the end of Aliens a bit after Christmas and remembered how bad I think it is, so I went online to see how rare that opinion is, and found a couple of people comparing Prometheus to Alien (a very good film), so I figured I'd give that a go...

Spoiler:
  • I thought Inside was one of best things I watched last year. So good.
    Can't believe I didn't twig that it was the same guy that did Eighth Grade. That movie was excellent
  • 5cream is a really interesting film in that it’s clearly written smartly and with a huge amount of self awareness but inside all of that context it is some how more disappointing than the thing itself because its seems smart enough to be aware of all the pratfalls the fact it doesn’t do anything actually interesting makes the endeavour feel worse than the sum of its parts.
    Spoiler:

In some ways Ghostbusters Afterlife is a much braver film (I haven’t seen it) and I think that’s a little bit damning.

It was weird to realise that
    Spoiler:

3/6 stars (objective quality)
    2/6 stars (actual rating because they constantly ram home in your face the problems with the thing they are trying to do and the disappointment that they don’t make cleverer or more interesting choices)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Netflix had just po(o)pped up Riverdance: The Animated Film. It might be the most embarrassingly shit thing I've ever seen 15 minutes of.
  • Kow wrote:
    Netflix had just po(o)pped up Riverdance: The Animated Film. It might be the most embarrassingly shit thing I've ever seen 15 minutes of.

Yeah…it’s Riverdance: The Animated Film that’s the most embarrassing thing here.
  • Flatley my dear I dont Riverdance.
  • The Wu Assassins TV series was kinda shite - huge waste of Iko Uwais. The 2nd series getting turned into a 90min film looks a lot better, but the hokey magic powers stuff might be a bit weird. Looks like here's some good scraps and makes better use of Uwais' and Lewis Tan's skills:
  • That show was so bad.  Watched it at a time when I was just watching anything.  I've forgotten what happened in it, mostly.
  • Yeah, I’m being too kind saying it was “kinda shite”. It was garbage.
  • Watched Birdman again. Still love the jazz percussion and the continual one shots throughout the film. Keaton was brilliant in this.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I loved Birdman!  I was only thinking of it recently and thinking of rewatching.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I presume it's better than Condorman?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Anya Taylor Joy must be one of the hardest working actresses in Hollywood right now - perhaps next to Chloe grace Moretz.
  • davyK wrote:
    I presume it's better than Condorman?
    Funnily, it's not exactly 1000 miles away from it?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Anya Taylor Joy must be one of the hardest working actresses in Hollywood right now - perhaps next to Chloe grace Moretz.
    I think she's just trying to grab as much work as she can before they find their new favourite

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!