• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cos wrote:
    Probably not on your list by the sounds of but just in case, skip Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers. I'd say everything else is worth a watch though.

Saw Intolerable Cruelty - not sure why as Zeta Jones while gorgeous is a lightweight who couldn't act the eejit.

Ladykillers is a no-no for me. No way that could ever come close to the original.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Pretty sure they're the only two I've intentionally dodged. How bad is The Ladykillers? Always avoided it as I can't remember reading/hearing any positive opinions, but is it truly crap or just pointless? I can't see them fucking it up.
  • Ive never seen the original Ladykillers. The Hanks version seemed fine to me although Im not sure any version of that film is ever going to be a top tier because of general taste/preference.

Its OK if people prefer the original but it was 49 years old when the remake came out, nearly 70 years old now. I think its reasonable to remake movies given large amounts of time passing. Id rather judge a remake on its merits than just say its pointless. Film making, acting, production has all changed in that time.
  • I feel like I've seen Intolerable Cruelty, but the synopsis means absolutely nothing to me.

Have Clooney and Thornton been in another film together that I might be mixing it up with?
  • Intolerable Cruelty doesn't quite work, but is worth watching for the courtroom scene with the Baron.

The Ladykillers has to strip away the Ealing charm from the original, that would never work after updating and moving it. It doesn't manage to replace it with much though.
  • Loved the original.
  • The Coen's Ladykillers is unspeakably bad. One to avoid at all costs.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I feel like I've seen Intolerable Cruelty, but the synopsis means absolutely nothing to me. Have Clooney and Thornton been in another film together that I might be mixing it up with?

Clooney / Massey had an unbreakable pre-nup he used with his famous clients.

Clooney and whatshername fall for each other after various manoevures and want to get married - but the Massey pre-nup comes up.  There's a scene near the end where He gets turned on when she signs it, she gets turned on when he rips it up etc.  And they go through that dance over and over...or something like that.

That's all I remember. It was OK but it was lightweight. Sharply made as expected.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Loved the original.

The original was lightning in a bottle even for Ealing. Has an undefinable quality and the casting and performances are perfection.   A remake could be great and the Coens have the sensibilities for it but it seems it's a mess. I avoided.
  • You'd think they would have been a good fit for a re-make, but fuck me, it's really terrible.
  • g.man wrote:
    The Coen's Ladykillers is unspeakably bad. One to avoid at all costs.

Yup. Was shocking.

I actually thought Intolerable Cruelty was fine - I enjoyed it. Sure, it wasn't a Coen classic but it's a perfectly decent rom com, and miles better than the likes of How to Lose a Guy in 10 days and other rom coms of that era.
  • I mean, come on - it gave us this scene:

• I don't think I've seen Intolerable Cruelty tbh.
  • g.man wrote:
    I don't think I've seen Intolerable Cruelty tbh.

It's a very safe rom com with a slight edge and some Coen irreverence. I'm sure the backlash against it at the time was mainly a result of the massive number of absolute belters in a row they had chucked out just prior.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not seen Intolerable Cruelty or the Ladykillers. The worst Coens film I’ve seen was Hail Caesar, although I didn’t get on with a Serious Man either.
  • Anyhoo, I watched that there Netflix thing The Gray Man last night.
    Hmmmmmmm...
    I suppose this was fine in a disengage your brain, B-Movie actionfest for a couple of hours, sort of way, but it's not great.
    It's very much in the vein of Marvel action stuff, bloodless and highly choreographed, so I wasn't particularly surprised to discover when the end credits rolled, that it had been made by The Russo Brothers.
    Big budget, good cast (somewhat squandered), decent action, but it's a soulless affair, largely devoid of any style or wit, and the screenplay really is non-existent, serving only to connect the dots between the action set-pieces.
    Really needed a young Nic Cage chewing the scenery as the villain, but fair play to Chris Evans for giving it a decent stab.
    I gather it's adapted from the first in a series of books, so presumably they intend to inflict more of them on us.
    Still, it passed a couple of hours without actually offending me, so there's that.
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Not seen Intolerable Cruelty or the Ladykillers. The worst Coens film I’ve seen was Hail Caesar, although I didn’t get on with a Serious Man either.
    Jesus, Hail Caesar was a surprising stinker.
  • Hey Uncle, what was the wilderness survival movie you liked recently?
  • I mean, come on - it gave us this scene:

And the Wheezy Joe bit.

Like you say, it's a slightly above average Rom-Com, with a couple of more idiosyncratic moments, Coens dialogue and main characters who are fundamentally awful people. I like it, but get why people wouldn't.
  • g.man wrote:
    Anyhoo, I watched that there Netflix thing The Gray Man last night. Hmmmmmmm... I suppose this was fine in a disengage your brain, B-Movie actionfest for a couple of hours, sort of way, but it's not great. It's very much in the vein of Marvel action stuff, bloodless and highly choreographed, so I wasn't particularly surprised to discover when the end credits rolled, that it had been made by The Russo Brothers. Big budget, good cast (somewhat squandered), decent action, but it's a soulless affair, largely devoid of any style or wit, and the screenplay really is non-existent, serving only to connect the dots between the action set-pieces. Really needed a young Nic Cage chewing the scenery as the villain, but fair play to Chris Evans for giving it a decent stab. I gather it's adapted from the first in a series of books, so presumably they intend to inflict more of them on us. Still, it passed a couple of hours without actually offending me, so there's that.
    Spoiler:

That spoilered bit was odd, but not half as stupid as the finale...
    Spoiler:
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched Ballad of Buster Scruggs recently and enjoyed it. Proper quirky and beautifully made.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Anyhoo, I watched that there Netflix thing The Gray Man last night. Hmmmmmmm... I suppose this was fine in a disengage your brain, B-Movie actionfest for a couple of hours, sort of way, but it's not great. It's very much in the vein of Marvel action stuff, bloodless and highly choreographed, so I wasn't particularly surprised to discover when the end credits rolled, that it had been made by The Russo Brothers. Big budget, good cast (somewhat squandered), decent action, but it's a soulless affair, largely devoid of any style or wit, and the screenplay really is non-existent, serving only to connect the dots between the action set-pieces. Really needed a young Nic Cage chewing the scenery as the villain, but fair play to Chris Evans for giving it a decent stab. I gather it's adapted from the first in a series of books, so presumably they intend to inflict more of them on us. Still, it passed a couple of hours without actually offending me, so there's that.
    Spoiler:
    That spoilered bit was odd, but not half as stupid as the finale...
    Spoiler:
    Indeed.
  • Raining in Maldives and it wasn’t just flash tropical rain so we did Spider-Man and Batman Begins.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Hail, Caesar is for sure one of the weaker efforts. A Serious Man was an odd one, I didn't particularly like it but found something about it quite fascinating.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    The Ladykillers is a pure stinker, irrelevant of any comparison to the original.
  • I remember Jim used to tell us all to watch Intolerable Cruelty whenever Coens came up on oldrum. I never did.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A Serious Man is one my Coen favorites.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    As someone highly critical of Get Out and Us, by fuck did I love Nope.

Will be disliked by a lot but easily his strongest film.
  • In other news, Spiderhead is not good. I think it's meant to be funny. It isn't.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    In other news, Spiderhead is not good. I think it's meant to be funny. It isn't.

Yeah, it's a mess.  I actually quite like the short story it's based on, which made it all the more disappointing. They took the premise, but utterly missed the point.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!