Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I thought Road House was good until
    Spoiler:
    showed up.  He was fucking woeful.
    100% but I was there for the bad, and it was delivered. I couldn't stop laughing, great Friday night entertainment.
  • So new Road House - couldn’t take Jake seriously- he looks like he’s been carved out of wood. Fell asleep.

The Flash - couldn’t get through it despite being keen to see Keaton reprise his role as Batman.

Latest MI is fantastic entertainment but I do wonder why they insist on giving the big stunt away in the trailers
    The Forum Herald™
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    Hard ‘no’.

You’re one of those MI:2 lovers, aren’t you? Not saying I hated it, just story wise, it made no sense.

Things can only get better.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No, it's me who is the MI2 lover. That movie fucking rules.
  • Latest MI is bobbins. Huge let down for me on the heels of how awesome maverick was.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Maverick was by far the better film, you’re right.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I enjoyed it but it was unnecessarily long.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Giant Monster Saturday is back:

Mighty Joe Young (1949) - This arguably forms a loose third instalment to the original King Kong movies although it’s more of a spiritual successor by the same production team and isn’t part of the same continuity. One day, a little white girl who for some reason is living in Africa buys a baby gorilla from a local tribe with her toys and her dad’s flashlight. The baby grows up into a giant 15-foot special effects-driven gorilla reminiscent of Little Kong from Son of Kong but with improved production values.

Like Son of Kong, unfortunately Mighty Joe Young combines its spectacular special effects with a weak, lighthearted storyline. At its best, it is soul-crushingly cliche, at its worst it is boring and aimless.

It’s a real shame such good special effects are wasted on such a nothingburger of a story - what a spectacular bag fumble these weak follow-ups to King Kong were after the incredible original film. ★★☆☆☆
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Witchfinder General (1968) - The cult historical drama-slash-horror that inspired the Paedofinder General from Monkey Dust. Watched this via 4K Blu-ray and the 4K presentation was honestly a significant pleasant surprise given the age of the film. While the materials are dated and are sometimes soft or grainy, much of the costuming and scenery benefits from the vibrant colours of HDR and as lighting has such a huge impact on the film - it is shot at various times of day and sometimes with bright man-made light sources such as lamps and fires - the tasteful use of HDR brightness adds a huge amount to the aesthetic appeal of the film, whether it’s the sun attempting to burst through the clouds, sunlight reflecting off a character’s hair or something more morbid like peasants poking at the ashes of a witch-burning bonfire.

The film is generally enjoyable, the kind of thing they just don’t make any more. There are some respects in which that’s a bad thing though - the plotting is mildly wonky at times and the main female character, while she feels on the verge of becoming a proper deuteragonist at times, ends up being objectified.

Overall though, I enjoyed it and while I bought the 4K as a luxurious treat I’m surprised to find it feels like a justified purchase. ★★★★☆
  • Watched Fast X last night.
    I'm a fan of the Fast and Furious series up to a point but it's clear the series has gone on too long. 7 was the peak, 8 still good. 9 was bad and this one really dropped off a cliff (or a damn), it's also a two parter as all series finales have to be now.
    The thing with that is that they have written themselves into a corner where the big bad guy of the whole series, spanning the two final films, that united the hero's and villains of the past is played by Jason Momoa and what a performance it is.

It has to be watched be believed. Momoa plays the son of a previous villain retconned into the series during the intro. They replay the bit from a previous film where they steal a safe and drag it around town with cars, but now Momoa was there and his dad was killed while Momoa died for two minutes. He has spent the past 10 years developing a persona as "the devil". A ruthless mob leader that uses means such as child kidnap, murder and street racing to get what he wants.
    Momoa with all the acting skill of a turnip decides to play this character as a Harry Styles costumed softboy with Julian Clarey camp combined with terrible impressions of Ledger's Joker and Jack Sparrow.
  • It really was something to behold, that performance. And not in a good way.
  • What makes it worse is that you can tell he thinks he is doing something brilliant.
  • The smug self-satisfaction is off the charts. That’s what made it such a bad performance.
  • We had this one yet?

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Just back from that June 2. Fucking incredible. [10]

Hey though what about that "humble Messiah" line straight out of The Life of Brian?! I nearly burst out laughing. Almost ruinous

There was a comedic undercurrent throughout the movie. Quite a few laughs in my local cinema but on 2nd viewing in Manchester no one picked up on it all all. Fuckin tourists/students.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bardem got most of the funny stuff. He's fucking great
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep he was the best thing in it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    We had this one yet?

Green screen: The Movie
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah, it does look very much like that's the case.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The guy who did Happy Feet took a hard turn
  • Tbh fury road had the same all over it. I think the noticeability of it lent it a charm, like mid-90s action flick explosions.
  • Definitely to an extent, but this looks like a lot of it was shot in George Miller’s garden shed.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Definitely to an extent, but this looks like a lot of it was shot in George Miller’s garden shed.

I mean, the first two Mad Maxes were.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I’m back at the cinema:

Sunset Boulevard (1950) - A delirious silent movie star drags a struggling young screenwriter into her deluded world. This was one of my favourite black and white films when I watched it on Blu-ray ages ago, so I thought I’d watch it on the big screen. You know when people say “I wish I could watch so-and-so again for the first time?” Well, err, I didn’t remember the film as well as I thought I did so I basically managed to make that actually happen. Some classics just don’t hit perfectly for me even though I can acknowledge they’re great films. This one really hits the spot though. ★★★★★

About to go into Immaculate. “But what about Late Night With The Devil?” I hear you cry - I’m gonna watch it later in the week, it will schedule better as a double-bill with something else.
  • Sunset Boulevard is an all-timer. Love it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I just got a pre-film advert for Stockport. I’m… I’m already here guys.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Immaculate (2024) - Young American woman Sydney Sweeney travels to Italy to become a nun at a convent that acts as a hospice for aging nuns but is hinted to have darkness seething beneath the surface. She is only there for a short time when she immaculately conceives a baby, triggering a series of horror-laden events.

I saw mixed reviews for this but mixed as in some middling and some genuinely positive, including a positive review from Mark Kermode, so I gave it a go. For the most part, I thought it a pretty generic modern horror. At one point a nasty old nun says “You will never leave here!” to Sydney Sweeney and I thought “So what?” because we’re never shown Sweeney’s life before the convent, she has a threadbare backstory and is pretty weakly characterised by the script.

The hyped up final scenes are more interesting than the rest of the movie but less powerful for having been preceded by a fairly mediocre movie and I don’t really feel like the film actually earns the extreme violence that emerges in the third act. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad movie but I also wouldn’t recommend going out of your way to see it at the cinema. ★★★☆☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    And with that I’ve hit 50 full-length movies this year.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!