Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Ludon’t say.
  • Yep, let's not get knickers in a Twister'bout it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Cinema is such a trivial pursuit anyway
  • Yeah but we all love the Atmosfear.
  • I can't stand the Scrabble for junk food, makes such long queues
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Kinda frustrating there are only limited reviews for Mothers’ Instinct so far I’m a Hungry Hungry Hippo for Mother’s Instinct reviews since there’s a preview screening it would be handy to go to tonight.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Kinda frustrating there are only limited reviews for Mothers’ Instinct so far since there’s a preview screening it would be handy to go to tonight.

Where the fuck is the board game ERE
  • 3vh7I8.gif
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Made the executive decision to book Godzilla x Kong in IMAX next Tuesday so now I need to catch up on the four previous MonsterVerse films before then on top of everything bloody else.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Perfect Days (2023) - Japanese nothing-happens-em-up about a toilet cleaner who lives a mostly tranquil life listening to old cassettes and reading second-hand books. This is a new classic of the nothing-really-happens genre - I loved it. The indoor market in the subway station made me sick with nostalgia even though I’ve never been there. Also, I’m horribly tempted to start collecting cassettes. The final sequence is really well acted.

WATCH OUT - there is a brief post-credit sequence.

It would arguably be consistent with my rating system to give this five stars but to do that would ruin it. Will make a great lazy Sunday afternoon film. ★★★★☆
  • Not on a streamer as far as I can see. Cinema jobbie?
  • No I tend to wait til I'm home for a captains log. Just a piss, that's fine.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yeah, I saw Perfect Days in the cinema, where I also saw:

Mothers’ Instinct (2024) - Jessica Chastain plays a mother who has suffered from severe anxiety since she was in a car accident as a child that claimed the lives of both of her parents and Anne Hathaway plays another mother who suffers a present-day tragedy when her son, whose birth complications rendered her incapable of further children, falls from a balcony while trying to put up a bird house and dies.

Hathaway‘s behaviour becomes erratic after the death and she develops an attachment to Chastain’s son, which rapidly disturbs her as Hathaway allows her son to play on the balcony her own son plummeted from and is involved in an incident where he ingests peanut, to which he severely allergic. Is Hathaway a danger to Chastain’s family or are we just witnessing the unfortunate intersection of Hathaway’s grief and Chastain’s anxiety?

In the absence of critic reviews of this film I was forced to… make up my own mind?! About how I was supposed to feel about a movie?! What?! In the end, I thought it was good and was glad I took a risk on it. It’s not perfect - the editing is odd and jerky in places and the ending isn’t particularly tonally surefooted, but I thought it was pretty effective. ★★★★☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Also, the BBFC title card at the beginning omitted the possessive apostrophe in the title, which I was scandalised by.
  • I See You is a film I have watched without having heard of it. It is a perfectly 2-3 star film as long as you do what I did.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I see you Jayke Soolee
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Back at the cinema grindstone tonight, chipping away at the Oscar noms with Robot Dreams and then following it up with Late Night with the Devil.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There’s a FAMILY in this animated movie screening, outrageous!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And some idiot on his phone!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Robot Dreams (2023) - I’m still a bit like “WTF did I just watch?”. In a world of anthropomorphic animals, a lonely gamer dog buys a robot friend. Dog and Robot become the best of pals but then due to slightly contrived in-universe reasons Robot gets stranded on a beach and Dog cannot get to him until the next summer holiday season next year. And that’s, like, THE MAIN PLOT OF THE FILM, this robot just lying there on the beach.

On a moment-to-moment level, it can be quite cute and charming but it doesn’t particularly hang together amazingly as a movie - I have a really strong suspicion the plot worked better in its original format as a comic book.

This has been described as bittersweet, and it is, but I think there’s also a note of really harsh cynicism in this I didn’t particularly like. People fuck over the main characters for no reason. There’s a pretty racist depiction of a Chinese character. At one point a visual joke is made at the expense of older women’s bodies. The core idea of the robot friend undoubtedly hits different in the AI-bullshit tech-bro world of 2024 then when the book was first released and these additional issues, while minor, make you question the kind of people that were behind this story.

I suspect some of you will like this (there are a couple of shout-outs to retro gaming in it) but I just couldn’t get on with the storytelling, which was too far away from what I want in an animated film. ★★★☆☆
  • Is it this kind of robot?

tumblr_lw09rx6fRf1qkeaeuo1_500.gif
  • Oh behave
  • Loved Robot Dreams.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Late Night with the Devil (2023) - It’s 1977 and TV host Jack Delroy is having a difficult time - his wife has recently passed away with cancer and the ratings of his late night talk show Night Owls with Jack Delroy are floundering, having never recovered from his bereavement break. But Delroy has a plan - an occult-themed Halloween special could be about to change everything…

The film is presented in a found-footage style with the bulk of the film made up of supposed master recordings of the live broadcast of the special. Black and white ‘behind the scenes’ footage fills in the gaps during advert breaks. These interludes do not particularly convince as real footage, it’s more of an excuse to include unfiltered dramatic scenes without the characters being aware of being broadcast.

There is a certain amount of contrivance at play here, not an inappropriate amount, but don’t set your realism-expectation-o-meter to maximum or you’ll be disappointed. I’d say the nearest comparable is something like Inside No. 9 but a bit more serious.

I liked it. I do think it’s a fragile kind of good though in that you need to bring good vibes or don’t go at all - if you didn’t like the trailer or don’t feel like seeing it then I just don’t think you’ll be won around. There is one particular line that felt like the filmmakers were anticipating this film to have most of its life via home video so while it does work as a cinema film, if you can’t make it during the cinema release then I wouldn’t cry about it. Overall, I liked it as something a bit different. ★★★★☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oh yeah, got on the bus home, went up to the top floor - was empty. I get off and turn to head home - an ominous, dark figure is staring right at me from the back window of the top floor, mysterious eyes peering at me from inside a black hoodie pulled tight. Unsettling.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It means you're going to die in your sleep tonight
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    There’s now an incredibly loud screaming ringing noise reverberating around my neighbourhood.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    There’s now an incredibly loud screaming ringing noise reverberating around my neighbourhood.

Things are back to normal at least.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!