Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Need to finish that, went to bed with half an hour left the other day. From what I saw it was accidentally enjoyable trash - I'm not giving it anywhere near the perfectly crafted credit something like Cobra Kai deserves but it was kinda alright despite being rubbish.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I haven’t seen it yet but I’m hoping no one is holding up the original as anything other than trash too. The Swayze film is just terrible in every way. It only got watched because all the girlfriends who fancied Swayze were happy to watch a violent action film just because he was in it. And we watched it because of said action with the notorious throat scene being the highlight that everyone talked about. We had the usual bullshitter at school (I was in sixth form at the time) who claimed did something similar while he and his old man were in a fight against a group of men. It became a bit of a meme amongst my mates before that word was even used.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I enjoyed Kong Skull Island. Glad to see someone else do. I put on my big daft romp head and have a good old time.

Blood on Satan's Claw was a really nice surprise I found last year. Excellent folk horror... Glad someone else concurs. Still to watch Witchfinder General.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Can't bring myself to watch new Roadhouse because of that prick McGregor. Has the same effect on me as that other prick Vinnie Jones who spoils everything he is in for me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • They wrote the character specifically for him, so he’s a ridiculous swaggering psychopathic utter prick, if that helps at all. But yeah, if you can’t stand him, it’s very much him on the screen there.
    Gyllenhaal doing his Donnie Darko “squint eye lizard smile” thing makes the film feel like 2 empty-husked psychopaths going at it. Where his take in Ambulance was very external-shouty, I don’t think a more internal-quiet style really fits in a daft B movie like Road House - but I guess Liman was going for something a bit extra and that’s why he was pissed it went straight to streaming instead of theatrical release.
  • I actually really enjoyed it and want to watch it again.
    It's just a great slice of dumb action and feels like a proper 80s action movie.
    Hated McGregor so damn much that seeing him get fucked up was quite a cheer from me. Plus I love Gyllenhaal in everything, he's great.
    4 out of 5 punches in the face from me
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I miss the 70's. I'm not saying films are getting worse but they're definitely not getting better.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • What's the most modern film that people regard as a bonafide classic? I realise this is subjective.
  • Quite a few years ago now, but I loved Moonlight. There’s also Parasite from a few years ago. I’ll have to check back on what I’ve seen recently to remember more.

In the Mood for Love is an all-time great but that was over 20 years ago.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Aftersun last couple of years.
    Burning by Lee Chang-Dong was 2018.
  • Nolan, Eggers, Villeneuve all have movies that will be considered classics when the time comes, gotta let them cook first.
    Some A24 stuff as well.

There was a good Delayed Input video on this recently where he was pondering classics off the back of things being included in the library of Congress. His conclusion was that deciding what things made today are classics is not the job of us today but the people of the future. We can't make those judgements.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    What's the most modern film that people regard as a bonafide classic? I realise this is subjective.

Titane.
  • In that video he mentioned 25 years as a rough timeframe, so doing that exercise we are looking at The Matrix, American Beauty, L.A Confidential, Good Will Hunting, Gladiator etc.
  • La La Land. Fury Road.

Shoot me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Mulholland Drive sneaks in
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think it’s weird to say everything is shit now when we literally just had 2023, a really good year for cinema. A chunky portion of this year’s Best Picture Oscar nominees are likely to be remembered as classics. It’s true that big budget entertainment is having a bit of a nadir with all the superhero franchises going off the rails, low-quality streaming films, etc. but even then you’ve got Godzilla Minus One if you step even slightly off the beaten path.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • La La Land. Fury Road.

Shoot me.

Big yes to La La Land. Loved it. Big part of that story hit so close to home for me on first viewing, had me an emotional wreck at the end
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Film is great every fucking year, there's just some years the 'mainstream/AAA' don't have much to offer.
  • Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    Magnolia
    Mulholland Drive
    Yi Yi
  • I think with the big superhero and the like franchise, mega bucks, movie by committee stuff it's much the same as what has always happened but on steroids.

We've definitely had shit superhero films before, just not 5 a year. Likewise with adaptations of popular franchises. The Mario Bros Movie, Street Fighter The Movie, Masters of the Universe, Turtles 3. Various levels of fun to go back to and maybe even enjoyable as a young kid but all bad movies made to turn a profit first. The Star Wars Prequels, good god.
    Then there are the sequels and spin offs from the successes now forgotten. Meteor Man, Steel (starring Shaq), Lawnmower Man 2, Superman 4, The Shadow, The Phantom.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    La La Land?

malcolm-tucker-fucking-fuck-me-gif-9987042.gif
  • What's the most modern film that people regard as a bonafide classic? I realise this is subjective.

Titane.

I like some modern horror but I've not seen anything as good as The Exorcist, The Omen or Alien. Too much gore and not enough slow burn tension for me. I don't mind gore but it's overplayed imo.
  • I'll watch that though.
  • La La Land?

malcolm-tucker-fucking-fuck-me-gif-9987042.gif
    Well said
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I haven’t seen it yet but I’m hoping no one is holding up the original as anything other than trash too. The Swayze film is just terrible in every way. It only got watched because all the girlfriends who fancied Swayze were happy to watch a violent action film just because he was in it. And we watched it because of said action with the notorious throat scene being the highlight that everyone talked about. We had the usual bullshitter at school (I was in sixth form at the time) who claimed did something similar while he and his old man were in a fight against a group of men. It became a bit of a meme amongst my mates before that word was even used.
    The original is ridiculous and ott but compared to remake it at least has some internal logic and motivation for characters.
    There is some fun bits in remake but the original is far better, which is saying something given how silly that gets.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Titane.

I like some modern horror but I've not seen anything as good as The Exorcist, The Omen or Alien. Too much gore and not enough slow burn tension for me. I don't mind gore but it's overplayed imo.

Have you watched Saint Maud?
  • No but I will now.
  • Ah Saint Maud is quality.
  • I was not impressed with it.
    Honestly found myself bored with it and the ending wasn't the big moment I was expecting
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I was not impressed with it. Honestly found myself bored with it and the ending wasn't the big moment I was expecting

This

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!