Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Close encounters was a superb cinema experience. The mothership reveal produced a gasp.

Always thought it weird that the Dreyfuss character abandoned his kids, never mind the yummy Teri Garr.

Have the 30th anniversary DVD set - it includes the theatrical cut.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Always thought it weird that the Dreyfuss character abandoned his kids, never mind the yummy Teri Garr.

Yeah, this stuck out to me as well. He has this weird emotional affair then abandons his kids.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Yeah, this stuck out to me as well. He has this weird emotional affair then abandons his kids.

Didn't Speilberg's father leave the family? I think that affected him quite a bit (obvs) and it's reflected in a fair bit of his output.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yeah - and after watching this and E.T. it makes me wonder whether Spielberg actually inspired the protagonist’s single mother trope in JRPGs. I wonder how much impact that one real-life breakup had on fiction as a whole!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    One of the flagship IMAX cinemas in America is capable of both dual-laser and film projection - they’ve had to switch all their film screenings of Dune Part Two to laser because they played the film print so much that it’s worn out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spielberg reconciled with his father after about 15 years. He lived until >100.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Want to watch Across the Spider-Verse but couldn’t remember the original very well, so…

Into the Spider-Verse (2018) - I ended up feeling the exact same way as the first time I watched it - quite liked it but not as much as the people that thought it was absolutely brilliant. I like how the art style evokes 2D animation and comics a little bit but the low framerate thing feels a little weird to me - the framerate is too fast to evoke the panels of a comic but too slow to evoke 2D animation. The story/script also feels the teensiest bit messy to me.

Really good fun though and nice to see something that isn’t one of the major animation houses doing their usual formula. ★★★★☆
  • Yeah, I’d echo those sentiments. Great stylish fun, but not quite as good as I was lead to believe.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    El Conde (2023) - Black comedy-horror that asks the question what if Chilean dictator General Pinochet was a vampire.

I watched this because it was Oscar nominated for Best Cinematography. And the cinematography was nice. But it was the only thing I particularly liked.

By ‘black comedy-horror’ they mean it’s a film that isn’t particularly funny or dramatic or horrifying, so, y’know, just claim it’s a genre mash-up or something.

While this does explain the history, I don’t think it’s that resonant for people too young to remember Pinochet as a figure in public affairs. It did get some decent reviews so perhaps older viewers will get more out of it.

Not for me though. ★★☆☆☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I’m at the Stockport Garrick Short Film Festival this weekend passing judgement on a bunch of short films. Here’s Block 1:

Bespoke Dad (Short, 2023) - A divorced dad visiting his ex-wife and child transpires to be an actor who is hired by mothers to act the role of divorced dad to children’s whose fathers are totally out of the picture. Interesting but there is a weird unreality to this (the dad arrives for dinner and then mid-way through the daughter is abruptly sent to bed for no reason). I didn’t really get the concept but the film is acted entirely by ethnic minority actors and in the Q&A they explained it was about the role of fathers in more patriarchal cultures. ★★★☆☆

Stockport Pyramid (Short, 2023) - This is a comedic faux-documentary about the Stockport Pyramid. Quite amusing but by the director’s own admission it was pretty much thrown together. Good for what it is. Watch online. ★★★☆☆

Wheels (Short, 2022) - This was the best one of the block. A young joyrider finds himself in a weird young offender’s institution where things are not what they seem. This is quite interesting and manages to avoid telegraphing its main plot element too obviously. I think it’s slightly over-ambitious and it doesn’t stick the landing on all of its plot elements. In the Q&A the director said they filmed a bunch of stuff that didn’t make it to the film so I suspect it might be one of those things where in making a tight edit some minor elements get lost in translation. For all that I’ve spent a lot of words griping about minor issues, it’s pretty good overall. Watch online. ★★★★☆

Men Only (Short, 2022) - A non-linear story about a woman with magical powers this was quite confusing until a fairly decent mid-way twist clarifies the timeline. Still too obtuse and there’s a sub-plot about the magical woman being trafficked by a gang that over-complicates the film and doesn’t go anywhere. ★★★☆☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Block 2 has just crashed twice. Ruh-roh!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Here’s what I made of Block 2:

Just One More (Short, 2023) - This turned out to have a broken video file so I haven’t seen more than the opening moment. Oh no!

I Made War of the Worlds (Short, 2023) - I really wanted to think the best of all these films so I felt really bad that I didn’t really like this one, especially as it had the highest production values of any of the films so far. A down-on-his-luck podcaster becomes obsessed with creating a modern-day version of the War of the Worlds radio broadcast mass panic. The cinematography and acting is good but the script doesn’t sell that any of this is real. They’re trying sell this as a full-length movie so hopefully it works better after being fleshed out and polished. ★★☆☆☆

Choke (Short, 2023) - Quite a slight short about a guy getting harassed by his brother. Again, good cinematography and acting but the script isn’t that special. The director wasn’t here to explain why she made this. If it was like her first film or a showcase or something then it’s perfect cromulent in that context. ★★★☆☆

Abstracted (Short, Year Unknown) - A young couple are so obsessed with their phones that they fail to perceive the danger lurking in their basement. This was a uni showcase and is good but slight. There has been so much flat indoor lighting today but the lighting in this was really good. ★★★☆☆
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Block C was, to be honest, the weakest block so far.

Daly in a Van (Short, 2024) - A guy tries to persuade a friend/acquaintance to rob a cafe but it doesn’t go as planned. As with many of these, decent cinematography and acting is let down by a weak script, plus it’s quite slight. ★★☆☆☆

For Love Nor Money (Short, 2024) - Short comedy about a guy trying to buy his girlfriend a last-minute Valentine’s gift. Tale as old as time: cinematography and acting good, script bad. Watch online. ★★☆☆☆

Ends Meat (Short, 2018) - A thriller/horror hybrid about a down-and-out taxi driver whose dark side-gig comes back to bite him. This is a longer short at 30 minutes. I suspect this was like a ‘we’d like to make a full length movie but we’ll have to settle for a long short instead’ but there isn’t enough here to justify the length and it feels like the extended duration sucks the life out of it. There is actually some decent stuff in here and it would could have been much better with a tighter edit. ★★☆☆☆

Ends Meat is the best of a weak bunch.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I overhead a conversation and it sounds like the some of the technical issues have been caused by the system not being able to handle high quality video files. Which is a bit of a worrying flaw for a film festival tbh!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    OK, Block 4 was much better.

Angel Meadow: The Forgotten Genesis (Short, 2023) - Documentary about the Angel Meadow mass burial site in Manchester. Interesting but technically really rough. Quite a lot of runtime is based on what seems to be a really low quality Skype call with an academic. But interesting subject matter and not bad for a first go. ★★★☆☆

Grim (Short, 2024) - One of the highlights of the day. Some really nice cinematography - drone shots! - acting and, for once, writing. A young man struggling with grief has an encounter with a stranger. Good stuff. ★★★★☆

Delicacy (Short, 2014) - Two British soldiers trapped behind enemy lines just prior to Dunkirk teeter on the edge of darkness as they run out of supplies. Perhaps the best sound design and interior lighting of the day. ★★★★☆

Just One More (Short, 2023) - Two childhood friends reunite for one last conversation. This was sort of OK but it’s basically one long conversation between two characters in a single location and consequently feels a bit visually uninteresting and generally unambitious. Also, the way one of the characters cries at the end feels they took it too far. But OK writing. ★★★☆☆
  • Just used the Amazon gift voucher I got for my birthday to purchase The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K UHD Boxset.

Can't wait to see that glorious IMAX footage on my lovely lovely LG screen
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I watched River which yes was kinda silly but actually good fun. Enjoyed it.
  • We're off to the Amy Winehouse film later. Given I went to the pics to see the Asif Kapadia documentary that left me in tears at points, and given ERE's review, I'm not expecting to have a good time. Still, ice blasts tho. Yass.
  • Just used the Amazon gift voucher I got for my birthday to purchase The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K UHD Boxset.

Can't wait to see that glorious IMAX footage on my lovely lovely LG screen

You like those nice inky blacks on the LG screen right? But LG merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING! The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Edit: double post
  • Watched Zone of Interest last night. It's very well shot and obviously incredibly chilling as a concept, but I think it could be just as effective as a short film. You could watch, say, the first 20 minutes, or possibly any 20 minutes, and get just about everything it's going for.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not really. I don't think you could convey the persistent, bland and monotonous nature of the evil on display in 20 minutes.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I said I was going to try to see the best in these but it’s been a long day of short films and I don’t give a fuck any more.

Tuned In (Short, Year Unknown) - Very brief sci-fi short, like maybe 5 mins. A guy invents a time travel machine to avert the death of his wife. This is a bit predictable and is so short there’s not much to engage with. ★★★☆☆

Low Frequency (Short, Year Unknown) - A man screams at a TV and that’s about it. ★★☆☆☆

Tremble (Short, Year Unknown) - One of only a couple I thought was tosh. Poorly executed technically with unclear dialogue (OK, it’s someone’s first attempt but it’s something they desperately need to improve upon) and weak writing. I think the idea was that there’s been some kind of civil war in the UK or some fantasy world modelled after the modern world and areas have been poisoned and mined and stuff. A guy stands on what he thinks is a mine in enemy territory. I think? I just can’t honestly say I thought this was any good at all. ★☆☆☆☆

Forget Me Not (Short, 2020) - I thought this might have starred the voice actress who plays Charon in Final Fantasy XVI but it’s just a vocal doppleganger. A woman visits her mother, who is suffering from dementia. This was decent an unlike a lot of the films, had a good go at hitting emotional buttons. It was another film school one. I feel like this festival is turned out to be a good advert for film schools because a lot of these are turning out to be better than the debut efforts of people that started out on their own. Watch online. ★★★★☆

Untitled #003 (Short, Year Unknown) - ‘Experimental’ and by experimental in inverted commas I mean shite. The audio is pretentious ramblings while the visuals are a montage of random black and white footage. The guy came up on the stage for the Q&A and basically declined to say anything about the film, which says it all really. ★☆☆☆☆

Fred Dibnah: The Grim Reaper of the Traditional Working Man (Short, 2023) - Pretentious documentary about the irony of Fred Dibnah being considered a working class hero for demolishing the factories that working class people used to work in. The visuals were good. The voiceover was slightly unclear and maybe a bit too highfalutin for its own good. Another uni project and in that context not bad. ★★★☆☆

Forget Me Not a clear winner from this final block.

Edit: Had a long think about it and Grim (Short, 2024) is my favourite of the first day.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Watched Zone of Interest last night. It's very well shot and obviously incredibly chilling as a concept, but I think it could be just as effective as a short film. You could watch, say, the first 20 minutes, or possibly any 20 minutes, and get just about everything it's going for.

I watched Zone of Interest at the cinema and spent the whole of my Saturday at a short film festival and I want to kick you in the face for saying this.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Lord of The Rings 4K back in cinemas 8th, 9th and 10th of June.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Is that the extended editions?
  • We're off to the Amy Winehouse film later. Given I went to the pics to see the Asif Kapadia documentary that left me in tears at points, and given ERE's review, I'm not expecting to have a good time. Still, ice blasts tho. Yass.

It's just not a good film. Could go on about mistakes and embellishment of things but even at a fundamental level, removing any fandom or knowledge I have of her, it's just a bit of a bad movie.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    We're off to the Amy Winehouse film later. Given I went to the pics to see the Asif Kapadia documentary that left me in tears at points, and given ERE's review, I'm not expecting to have a good time. Still, ice blasts tho. Yass.

It's just not a good film. Could go on about mistakes and embellishment of things but even at a fundamental level, removing any fandom or knowledge I have of her, it's just a bit of a bad movie.

I’m curious what your take on the maternal theme was given you’re much more familiar with Winehouse in real life than me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!