EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Happy Birthday Dante!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Happy Birthday, Dante!  Great choice for a birthday film!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My first and favourite Ghibli back when it was Warriors of the Wind in the 90s (with a good 30 mins or so cut), good choice! Happy birthday dants.
  • Watched Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind for the first time today, as it's my birthday, so why not watch something older than me? What a great film. A lead character who is the whitest of white meat babyfaces, and yet remains incredibly likeable throughout.
    Happy Birthday Dante!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Happy birthday Dante. The Nausicaa soundtrack is one of my favourites.
  • Happy Danteday.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Happy watching films with the word wind in the title that are slightly older than you are day.
  • Happy Birthday Dante! Now watch The Castle of Cagliostro to make yourself feel younger still…
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Jaws (1975) - At the cinema. I mean it’s alright isn’t it? Quite good? It’s not going on the favourites list. I’d argue it’s a bit overlong. But once it gets going it’s full of tense, practical effects-based shark action. If they made this today, the shark would be CGI and the boat stuff would all be CGI and green screen and it would look like ass, like the boat scenes from Road House. In a way you can’t knock it as an artefact of a time and place in cinema. But I do think it’s pretty imperfect. ★★★★☆
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aw, what a quaint little review. Keep at it, you'll get better.

Late Night with the Devil for me tonight
  • I'm stingy with film scores for some unknown reason but Jaws is one of a small handful of legit 10s for me. Probably my favourite out of all the films.
  • So what is it that you don't like about it?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    So what is it that you don't like about it?

I think there’s too much film before the climactic scenes. The characters are well-acted but don’t really develop throughout the film. The core three are all basically random guys that happen to end up in the same place with no real investment in each other or the community the story takes place in. It doesn’t even really try to elicit any emotional response other than thrills. The closest the film comes to countering that is when the guy’s boy gets attacked but even that feels a bit manipulative. I’m not gonna argue with anyone that really loves it but I think if you divorce it from the context of it being a prototypical early blockbuster, childhood indoctrination etc. I think there’s a decent argument for it being just good.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It doesn't try to elicit an emotional response and when it does it's manipulative is a rip snorter of a take
  • Paul the Jaws Stan

I also think Jaws is an all-time 10/10 and I think it's because it does put character into the movie. The reason all the following Jaws ripoffs don't land as well is because they don't have the confidence to do something like the dinner scene with Brodie and his son or the Indianapolis speech. It's why Twister is better than it could have been even though it's no Jaws. There might not be any emotional stakes like the shark coming for his family in the end but I do think it means you care more about what happens to him on the water.
  • I thought this was a good watch too. Goes into what the original script and stuff was and whether the shark not working well was what made the movie better or not.

• There might not be any emotional stakes like the shark coming for his family in the end but I do think it means you care more about what happens to him on the water.

This is why Jaws: The Revenge is so good - it's literally a bloodline vendetta, and [spoilers incoming!!!] Brody has died from, iirc, a heart attack caused by just being too scared of sharks, even when there aren't any around.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Paul the Jaws Stan

I also think Jaws is an all-time 10/10 and I think it's because it does put character into the movie. The reason all the following Jaws ripoffs don't land as well is because they don't have the confidence to do something like the dinner scene with Brodie and his son or the Indianapolis speech. It's why Twister is better than it could have been even though it's no Jaws. There might not be any emotional stakes like the shark coming for his family in the end but I do think it means you care more about what happens to him on the water.

Jaws is a top 10 of all time for me. There's so much family in the first half, and then the scene with the Kintner kid really being the kicker for "what if that had been our kid" that you absolutely know why Brody is going out on the water in the second half.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mind you Jurassic Park is like number 2 of all time for me so maybe I'm just a Spielberg basic bitch who loved sharks and dinosaurs as a kid.

Sure hope my son doesn't end up that wa.... Oh.
  • Jaws is a masterpiece.
    I will fight anyone who says otherwise
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Fuck it, I'm watching it with my boys this weekend. Time they learned some history
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Childhood indoctrination

malcolm-tucker-fucking-fuck-me-gif-9987042.gif
  • I'm an evil fucker
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That wasn't even at you Wooks but it does fit well.

Just still trying to come to terms with how bad a take that was from ERE. An all timer
  • Well yes, it is an all timer BUT it's a valid opinion, even if we don't agree with it. It takes all sorts
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Not all opinions are valid. Some are just plain wrong
  • Lol
  • Yes but on the scale of "a tomato is a fruit" to "the sun is powered by children's joy" it's closer to the former

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!