Kowdown

Send message
    It’s a slim chance.

Heh.
  • Who even is she?

Excellent.
  • My work here is done.
  • davyK wrote:
    I'm content that BBC mark the occasion and cover the funeral etc. These are the sort of set pieces that are part of our culture and the Royals do it well.

But if all radio stations are playing solemn music it harkens back to the USSR state run media.

Is it worse than after September 11th? I remember days of this. With Diana's funeral we actually received an apology from head office that we weren't allowed a day off. We were actually given blank videotapes to record the funeral while we were at work.

I used mine to record the repeat of paedogeddon episode of Brass Eye.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Diana's death in the UK, particularly England, was far worse. Far, far worse.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Even Jackson couldn't beat it. Makes you wanna scream.

Come the funeral, which of us is most likely to get on telly?

ET.png
  • It seems that the code name for what happens when Prince Phil dies is Operation Forth Bridge, going off my emails today.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It'll never end?
  • Guys, this is the dress rehearsal, imagine when Liz shuffles off her mortal coil. 

It's going to be fucking unbearable, you will get: 

A month of seeing documentaries about all the minutiae of everything she ever did. 
    Repeatedly being told how quaint it was she had her cornflakes stored in a tupperware container - which is something she doesn't even fucking control in the first place, fuck my dome. 
    Inredible levels of speculation about what the funeral will be like.
    Repeatedly being told how philip hasn't actually been buried and has been lying in state because they are being buried together for some reason. 
    Then after that there is allllll the speculation about the coronation of charles
    The coronation of charles
    All the fucking coverage of every little thing charles does as king for the first month until the media get bored and go back to writing about how Megan once ignored a text from Charles who was trying to be nice and send her his favourite pumpkin soup recipe. 
    All the coverage of how charles might modernise the royal family.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I don't read papers, watch telly or listen to radio so my only exposure to any of the Philshit has been internet jokes. That's as it should be.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As a republican, I cannot fucking wait until Charles is king. I think he’s the best shot we’ve got of getting rid of the monarchy in my lifetime.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As the child of a Northern Irish Catholic I'm ready for change fucking now.
  • I worry about the alternative.
    President Bohnson anybody?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The alternative is fuck all changes.
  • And the Queen never dies.
  • Getting rid of monarchies while fascists are in charge doesn't normally end well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Our apparent obsession with the Royals says more about us than the Royals. It's really only a variation on the obsession with celebrity. Just they have been around a hell of a long time.

Their role in the constitution is probably something to get into a froth about intellectually, but the reality is that whatever power they have would be removed if it were exercised by them. I'm not sure there would be an economic benefit to turning into a republic? So at the end of the day who gives a toss?

I don't think keeping them around really costs that much - at least that was the case last time I looked at the figures - certainly in comparison to ludicrous sums that successive governments throw away on projects such as that NHS booking system. I know at least those people are accountable. But we do seem to be able to forgive them no matter how much of our money ends up in the pockets of rich people.

And as for them owning land through inheritence - so what? Plenty of billionaires leaving their shit to offspring. What's the difference? And as I've said before if it was taken off them , who the hell do you think it would end up in the hands of?

I'm no royal fan but they do a good set piece and put on a good show of pomp and circumstance every so often. They need reforming and pruning back to prevent us having to suffer entitled pricks like Andrew. But I'd rather we kept them than got rid of them.

When you look at the numbers, working Royals live on the road, and maybe that's the way it should be. If any of them are idle they should be put to work. So letting them steward some very nice real estate is a small price to pay.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can't do it I'm afraid. Enables more Andrews down the line.
  • Liz could have another decade in her.
    LivDiv wrote:
    I worry about the alternative.
    President Bohnson anybody?
    Yeah this mainly why I’m not a republican. We would completely fuck up the replacement.
  • Yeah I don't think we need to get rid of them, but like, they need to go to royal family of Sweden mode asap. Immediate family can be recognised as members of the royal family by the government and can have their titles and can perform activties on behalf of the country, but that's it. You don't get no passive income from being the land owner of the crown estates, that land returns to the government and also probably needs protecting so they can't just flog it for new housing developments (they own waaaaaay more than just castles and country park land) and you are just another old money rich family, outside of whatever payment you receive from the state for carrying out any duties for us.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nah, sorry. Fuck the royal family and a sense of an entitled gilded lifestyle. Utterly out of time. Rip em up, and as I said, sell the crown jewels. 50% to previously enslaved countries, 25% to charities in the UK and 25% to the populace.

Fuck em all. They contribute nothing, and the "they're good for pomp" response is an absolute shiter.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Can't do it I'm afraid. Enables more Andrews down the line.
    That’s wealth and privilege rather than monarchy. In fact, having some vague kind of public accountability probably keeps the Windsors in check more than an equivalently loaded family.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    What have the Romans ever done for us? This thread.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Liz could have another decade in her.
    LivDiv wrote:
    I worry about the alternative. President Bohnson anybody?
    Yeah this mainly why I’m not a republican. We would completely fuck up the replacement.

You can be sure of that. 100% Guaranteed. And we the people would see fuck all of any of it.

And I know they own more than country piles. The Crown estate returns its profits to the Treasury. How many other landlords do that?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think that the potential positives from potentially having a head of state who isn’t a white toff shouldn’t be overlooked.
  • It would be a white toff.

On current trends, an overtly racist one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I think that the potential positives from potentially having a head of state who isn’t a white toff shouldn’t be overlooked.

Yeah - but that won't happen, will it?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Again, I'm sorry, I'm not doing this. I reject that being born into a particular lineage makes you inured for life.

Fucking cryptofacism.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm going to step away because I don't have anything else to add.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!