Thread of the Dead
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We’ve had non-toffs as PM, no non-whites yet, but it definitely could happen, but not unless we ditch the monarchy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @regmcfly

I understand your feelings - really I do.

The world we live in is fucking unfair. And the odious spectacle of wealth, especially in these trouble times ,is nauseating.

But preening premiership footballers, celebrity cunts taking selfies on their yachts or on the beach in Dubai irritates me more than the Royals.

I worry more about the hyper rich people we don't know about than a family who live under the public eye.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The Crown jewels are worth £3bil.
    Half that doesn't run the NHS for a week.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    @regmcfly

I understand your feelings - really I do.

The world we live in is fucking unfair. And the odious spectacle of wealth, especially in these trouble times ,is nauseating.

But preening premiership footballers, celebrity cunts taking selfies on their yachts or on the beach in Dubai irritates me more than the Royals.

I worry more about the hyper rich people we don't know about than a family who live under the public eye.

So why not abolish all, and start at the top?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    We’ve had non-toffs as PM, no non-whites yet, but it definitely could happen, but not unless we ditch the monarchy.

Eh?
  • I'm with Reg. Fuck em.

And using all this as an opportunity to get Noncehead Andy out to rebuild his rep in the public eye is fucking disgusting, by their standards. Fuck them, bunch of incestuous racist nazi gold digging fucks.

Right, I'm out! Peace!
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    ‘Valued at £67 Billion, the Monarchy is Britain’s Greatest Treasure’ (Brand Finance Report 2017)

https://brandfinance.com/wp-content/uploads/1/brand_finance_monarchy_press_release.pdf

Just for balance x
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm with Reg. Fuck em.

And using all this as an opportunity to get Noncehead Andy out to rebuild his rep in the public eye is fucking disgusting, by their standards. Fuck them, bunch of incestuous racist nazi gold digging fucks.

Right, I'm out! Peace!

Unbelievable scenes here. spfl could do with a look at this thread. Kisses.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    @regmcfly I understand your feelings - really I do. The world we live in is fucking unfair. And the odious spectacle of wealth, especially in these trouble times ,is nauseating. But preening premiership footballers, celebrity cunts taking selfies on their yachts or on the beach in Dubai irritates me more than the Royals. I worry more about the hyper rich people we don't know about than a family who live under the public eye.
    So why not abolish all, and start at the top?

Someone has to be on top. It's our nature. We can't help ourselves. We would end up back where we are now.

I really don't see the Royals at the top. They are off to the side somewhere. They are really a distraction. Taxation, employee pay ratios, nationalised infrastructure, education and health. We should be worrying about those things not some silly family who put crowns on once in a while as they have bugger all to do with that.
  • Nobody comes to the UK to see the Royal Family; they come to see the stuff they own. Just because they're no longer our most pampered benefit claimants doesn't mean we have to dismantle Buckingham Palace.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They are not worth getting annoyed about. Really. I used to feel the same way. Nothing they do affects us.

There are many other more worthy things to get annoyed about.
  • Part of the issue is that leaving the monarchy at the head of the nation is basically anathema to everyone on the left out here calling for a more equal society. 

Although I still think they can fulfil a diplomatic role, as an alternative ambassadorial presence that is not a government minister for example, once separated from property that really belongs to the country, hence why I am okay if they hang around making themselves useful like the Swedish royals but are otherwise removed from their current and future trappings.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Fuck em all into the bin.

I really massively dislike human nature arguments, we develop technologies and ideas to counteract instinctual or 'natural' behaviours, and in this case it's no different. We can live without these old style leaders, we just need the organisational structure and the idea in enough people's minds to make a much much better civilisation.

The Royals are symbolic, and I struggle to think of anything that's actually good about what they represent.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They really shouldn't have much of a role about anything.. Historically they were (supposed to be) good at certain tasks because they were able to be educated to a high quality. Plenty of people around now could do a better job. Problem is though that corporate greed kicks in as it would no doubt be outsourced.

I just feel it's best left alone. It will eventually wither away as it becomes less relevant.
  • davyK wrote:
    They are not worth getting annoyed about. Really. I used to feel the same way. Nothing they do affects us.

There are many other more worthy things to get annoyed about.

I agree, but they're also not worth defending too. So we can forget any attempts at "balance" (hair, why don't we offset the abolition by legalising the herb and making bucks off that ey?)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Eh?

We could have a president who is a non-white toff, as evidenced by our PMs, not all of whom have been toffs, even if so far they have all been white.
    ‘Valued at £67 Billion, the Monarchy is Britain’s Greatest Treasure’ (Brand Finance Report 2017)

https://brandfinance.com/wp-content/uploads/1/brand_finance_monarchy_press_release.pdf

Just for balance x

The country that gets the most tourists each year is France and look what they did to their monarchy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Imagine the fucking money we'd make to get the guillotine out and sell tickets.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I genuinely feel they are irrelevant to modern public life.

They return profits to the Treasury. They look after our assets like crowns and castles , the ownership of which would end up on the open market which I think would be a shame.

They are making fools of themselves, all on their own. One day it will come crashing down. They have had a few real near misses. The Diana death really was a crisis for them.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not sure why I keep posting about it. If enough people want rid then fair enough but I think  it should be left to take its own course.
  • I think Scandinavian style monarchy is a good stepping stone, actual republicanism would go down like a bag of cold sick just now, even without the likes of Blair and Thatcher as President hanging over it. Wait for Charles and then try to whittle away at it.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

The country that gets the most tourists each year is France and look what they did to their monarchy.

They certainly don’t come here for the food.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Or the weather.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    We might be surprised what Charlie and Billy think in private you know. It will be up to them what to do when ER2 goes. Whether they have the stomach for it in its current form is open for debate.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Imagine the fucking money we'd make to get the guillotine out and sell tickets.

Bro my startup is still looking for investors....
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

They certainly don’t come here for the food.
    Or the weather.

So you think they come here because of one family who they’ll almost certainly never lay eyes on during their trip?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Ah, but think they just might...
  • The queen gave my neighbour two bananas before she was queen.
  • If it were up to me I'd get rid of them, but I think it wouldn't be top of my priority  list. It doesn't seem like the time is right, but I suspect eventually it will be. Gotta lol at the thought of us having a non-white head of state. Can you imagine the uproar?
  • There's only so much public anger a government can get away with stirring,  and I wouldn't waste that capital here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!