ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No those questions are asking whether global warming exists, not what are the causes. If it doesn't exist there are no causes

Once again though we're veering into cult of reason territory. Stop being scared to ask questions, stop trying to be "right", and definitely stop demonising someone who does ask questions

This is exactly why Dawkins was a dangerous, irresponsible man who set the debate on religion back years, served only to divide and anger rather than create debate
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    Nah... Seriously. I've given up. I've got better things to do.
    Seems like you didn't have better things to do after all.
    That's true. I'm presently blocked on something. It happens. :]
    onemorething.jpg

:}

Yeah...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • What branch of science modelled historic temps?
  • cockbeard wrote:
    By framing questions you can ask anything. And with the following questions it's very difficult to say human created agw is actually a thing. Is this the hottest the planet has been since homo erectus has been around? Is this the longest period the planet has been hot since homo erectus has been around? Is this the fastest warming of the planet since homo erectus has been around? [/devilsadvocate]

That's no devil's advocate though, is it?

Here is another example of what you've done which hopefully illustrates my point.

Theory: Human domestication of goats has had a significant impact on desertification of the Saharan region.

Cocko-style "devil's advocate" questions:

- Is the current Sahara the biggest it's ever been in all of prehistory?
    - Was the rate of desertification of the Saharan region faster during peak goat than at any other period of time?
    - Do goats actually exist or are al goat scientists making it up as they go along for funding purposes?

The point is none of your questions address whether or not humans are affecting the climate or not, they just point out that the climate does indeed change of its own accord.

What makes this conversation worth having is that the experts are saying that the change at the moment is deeply unusual and does not match up on a macro- or micro- level with anything on record / investigated. So a cyclical climate change over several hundred years would be something we could probably adapt to. A human-caused acceleration in that climate change could have catastrophic short term effects due to its rapid severity.

So the argument at hand is: are humans causing accelerated climate change? The answer according to those that have access to the most knowledge, data and expertise is yes.
  • The official line that best expresses my current view?:
    The geological professionals in AIPG recognize that climate change is occurring and has the potential to yield catastrophic impacts if humanity is not prepared to address those impacts. It is also recognized that climate change will occur regardless of the cause. The sooner a defensible scientific understanding can be developed, the better equipped humanity will be to develop economically viable and technically effective methods to support the needs of society.
    Why is that considered stupid, please?

(I'm nowhere near as well versed in the climate change debate as I ought to be, but...)

None of that is stupid.  I suppose I'd make the point however that a defensible scientific understanding has been developed.  Scientific consensus, as much as there is ever scientific consensus on anything has been established for a long time now.  (There is never 100% consensus on anything, nor should there be.)

I'm not going to labour the arguments about climate change again here, as others have done it already.  For me it feels much like the arguments that waged on about whether or not smoking caused cancer.  There was good evidence for it early on, but there were lots of reasons why dissenting voices were given undue prominence.  (Of which money was one, but arguably people just not wanting to believe it was the more powerful.)

However as a footnote - I googled The American Institute of Professional Geographers to see if opinion had changed since they wrote that.  There is an Association of American Geographers but they have come down firmly in support of the consensus (they even produce educational materials).  There is however an American Institute of Professional Geologists, who did indeed produce the statement you've quoted.  They subsequently refined it to:

"The geological professionals in AIPG recognize that climate change is occurring regardless of cause. AIPG supports continued research into all forces driving climate change."

Subsequently they've dropped anything about a formal position on climate change because of arguments within their own membership.  But of course, these are geologists and climate change has a pretty big impact on their work.  I'll stop harping on about this largely irrelevant tangent by pointing to a piece they produced in 2007 advising its members on what they ought to be doing to alter their business practices in the light of climate change.  It's a fairly dry bit of business advice, but it leaves climate change pretty much unchallenged, and talks instead about how they're likely to lose business if they continue to look at coal in the same old way...
  • Damn, Monkey beat me to it.  Only with considerably less wordage.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If you are answering yes to any if those questions funk, then we have something to take to the cynics, as far as I know those questions are all no answers at the minute. So I can see the (blind and ignorant) logic behind the cynics stance. A stance which is merely an excuse to continue to consume. I doubt that climate change will be the incitement to change that it is currently being relied on for
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Being as currently the answer to those three questions is no, it's very hard to tell a cynic that this is anything out of the ordinary
  • Excluding my revolutionary theory of Hot Space™ it should be relatively simple to understand (but incorrect because, Hot Space™).

- One heat source (Sun).
    - Variability of energy incident on Earth.
    - Transmission of energy through the atmosphere and how it is affected by composition.
    - Reflection and absorption of energy by the Earth's surface and how's its composition affected this.
    - Internal reflection by the atmosphere and transmission of surface reflected energy through the atmosphere and how that is affected by atmospheric composition.

So quite a few variables when you consider the constituents of the atmosphere and the Earth, what affects the proportion of the constituents, whether through interaction there is some self normalising force (more water due to ice caps melting making the Earth slightly more reflective etc etc etc).
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Being as currently the answer to those three questions is no, it's very hard to tell a cynic that this is anything out of the ordinary

...Unless you bring up the fact that things ARE out of the ordinary according to those whose lives are spent looking at this stuff, because things are hotting up quicker.

Just pointing out that the Earth used to be a boiling ocean of lava doesn't really strike me as a good argument against the climatologists saying "fuck me this doesn't look good".

Do you feel me
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    [/i]They subsequently refined it to: "The geological professionals in AIPG recognize that climate change is occurring regardless of cause. AIPG supports continued research into all forces driving climate change."

Yeah... I'd be happy to support that view too.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Is Hot Space™ caused by neutrinos and dark matter?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    But they are clearly and demonstrably not out if the ordinary. If your are going to stay measuring a function of a function of a function you lose people very quickly. I was listening to an interview with dame Ann dowling the other day and she spoke about a silent plane project she was on. Where they theoretically reduced the noise power of a plane to less than 1%, of what it previously was. Which sounds great until you remember that noise is an exponential scale, so percentages like that are very misleading but sound a lot better than reduced by 25db
  • Nah, neutrinos are like MC Hammer.
  • Dark matter, potentially.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    What branch of science modelled historic temps?

Climatologists informed by glaciologists, oceanographers, geologists, biologists and physicists I imagine as well as chemists, paleontologists and mathematicans.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Nah, neutrinos are like MC Hammer.

I'm using this
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • cockbeard wrote:
    But they are clearly and demonstrably not out if the ordinary.

Expand. This would be counter to pretty much all climate science currently so quite frankly would be a revolutionary breakthrough. And Brooks could stop worrying.

To clarify: climate science position is world is hotting up faster than previously measured and we're heading for bad shit. Normal cycles of heating and cooling are much slower. Your position is this is not true. Please explain to world!
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Nah, neutrinos are like MC Hammer.
    As in, U Can't Touch Them, or are they 2 Legit 2 Quit?
  • Raw shrimp don't really taste too great, even with condiments. Cooked or nowt, and as I don't cook...

I've ordered that pea powder stuff, but I'm not confident.
  • Oh dear.

What can we propose to those who cannot afford lifestyle choices commensurate with planet saving?

Welfare aimed at, for example, local produce
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Subsequently they've dropped anything about a formal position on climate change because of arguments within their own membership.
    I knew it. I've been busy for the last hour or so but was dying to look this up properly. I thought that was a weird position for a bunch of almost scientists to hold. I wondered if it caused any problems in the group. I was imagining articles about the controversy it caused, the chairman resigning in disgrace, a rewording by the new regime. The truth is a bit less dramatic but I knew something smelt funny about that quote.
  • Soylent Green Participation Scheme
  • Well, that's what I was going to cover next, or at least after I've been surviving on dust for a bit. If it's not completely disappointing to eat, it should at least be pretty fucking cheap.
  • The brown rice one Skippy showed you should taste "nicer".
  • As stated earlier, it's really important that max. good consumption is also very very easy. Otherwise you have to be a zealot to keep it up, and bell curves don't really do much for zealotry.
  • On the plus side, the sesame oil/vinegar ratio I've stumbled into is pretty effective.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!