Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • £150 per week!! I'm coming for dinner at yours griffo!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    cockbeard wrote:
    Once again though we're veering into cult of reason territory. Stop being scared to ask questions, stop trying to be "right", and definitely stop demonising someone who does ask questions
    This is nonsense. The entire scientific method is about asking questions, but crucially, it's also about paying attention to the answers. Ignoring mountains of evidence because they do not fit your view and then continuing to question the conclusions of those whose job it is to weigh up that evidence are actions that should be challenged.

It's not scientists you have to convince though. Also the mountains of evidence seem so far not to state that this out of the ordinary, the only one of those graphs that looks dodgy is the one based on a 1000 years. If this is the 'end of the world' then people think in geological time scales, in which 1000 years is insignificant. If this is the steepest, sustained rise in temperature in the life of the human race then there is definitely a problem. However at the moment it doesn't seem to be, not according to those graphs. 

People don't go to the doctor until they think they're ill

My Dawkins comment was relevant, and correct. He states himself that the God Delusion was an attack on religion, now if attacking a group is the best way to open a dialogue with them, I guess we all choose Bush over Buddha
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Dawkins is a dick.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is why I'm a little angry about some of the views here. I'm accused of twisting facts for posting them, and asking questions about them, but others can get away with denigrating whole branches of established sciences, 'just because', and no-one bats an eyelid.

No-one has accused you of twisting facts.
    And there's no problem with asking questions, it's annoying when you ignore every answer you're given that goes against your preconceived ideas despite there being a huge weight of evidence behind them.

The question you're asking repeatedly is 'who will confirm my view?', whilst ignoring the ridiculously overwhelming majority of evidence that contradicts that view. It's the wrong question to ask and the wrong tack to take, especially when dealing with scientific issues, so it's small wonder people are getting frustrated.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Chickpeas are a good protein source Brooks.  120g of protein powder, even a plant based one, is a lot.  Can you pick through legumes and other plant based sources to build a more varied profile?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    £150 per week!! I'm coming for dinner at yours griffo!
    Seal eyes in aspic won't buy themselves.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    It's not scientists you have to convince though. Also the mountains of evidence seem so far not to state that this out of the ordinary, the only one of those graphs that looks dodgy is the one based on a 1000 years. If this is the 'end of the world' then people think in geological time scales, in which 1000 years is insignificant. If this is the steepest, sustained rise in temperature in the life of the human race then there is definitely a problem. However at the moment it doesn't seem to be, not according to those graphs.

The mountains of evidence that I'm talking about is not your analysis of three graphs. There's been a bit more research into this subject than that.
  • Bloody love chickpeas. My favourite salad is a chickpea and halloumi one in some kind of garlic oil thing. By the time you're finished it's about 700 calories pp but oh my god its amazing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    Outlaw wrote:
    £150 per week!! I'm coming for dinner at yours griffo!
    Seal eyes in aspic won't buy themselves.

Griff is our 1%.

Brooks lives a life where such classifications are meaningless.
  • Not good enough. I'd have to eat a like over a kilo to get a similar quantity of protein, not to mention that's almost all my personal daily calorie intake. And there's too many carbs in it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    I'm sorry. I truly am. I swore to myself I would no longer engage with you on this. But are you kidding me. Statistical analysis is not science? Firstly. What does that even mean. Is there any point any more in going on.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/564172/statistics

I stand corrected.

I often read about scientists using statistics as a mathematical tool, and got confused by that.
    So yes. I'm prepared to accept my mistakes, and consider challenges to the things I've written.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm sorry Dyno, I couldn't help myself. Your entire line of reasoning in this thread is based on a mistake about how much scientific disagreement there is over this issue, a mistake that's been pointed out to you about a billion times by now.
  • Like, this does seem to be the sticking point - low-to-zero carb, adequately high protein food that's very very cheap and not animal-based and not requiring even more energy usage to put into an edible state. I don't think it exists. 'Til it does, I don't see how this is supposed to work.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Now we's gittin somewhere.  Brooks you may have to collect and ingest your own skinflakes or start exerting yourself to increase your RMR.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Like, this does seem to be the sticking point - low-to-zero carb, adequately high protein food that's very very cheap and not animal-based and not requiring even more energy usage to put into an edible state. I don't think it exists. 'Til it does, I don't see how this is supposed to work.
    kvun5U4.jpg
  • No way, I have better shit to do than exercise. Again, maximum indolence is a crucial modify.
  • I think Spam still technically relies on the farming of beasts. Some portion of them. Also added sugars.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I'm sorry Dyno, I couldn't help myself. Your entire line of reasoning in this thread is based on a mistake about how much scientific disagreement there is over this issue, a mistake that's been pointed out to you about a billion times by now.

Again, I'm just looking for specific answers to specific questions, in an attempt to build on my understanding, but wonder about the sensitivity surrounding the subject.

Seriously, no other science appears to present so many unanswered questions, while generating so much fanaticism.

It's interesting, yes, but also very disturbing.

I have a newfound respect for medicine now. When two people disagree in that field, they think of the results and the subject first.

Not the opposing view.
  • Skerret wrote:

Not too bad. 250g is 100g of protein, 80-odd of carbs (that's a bit high imo), for 1150-ish kcal. Now to check on actual costs.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Not too bad. 250g is 100g of protein, 80-odd of carbs (that's a bit high imo), for 1150-ish kcal. Now to check on actual costs.

Nuts?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The only direct question I recall you asking was the one about the 'pause' graph, to which you received several answers. Beyond that, you just seem to be vaguely linking to denialist websites and newspaper articles. If you have specific questions, ask them. I expect you'll get specific answers.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Nuts?

Nope, too little bulk for the nutrients. Bulk is important in my experience.
  • Stop saying fanaticism Ffs. Again, like all the "questions" you've asked, this has been addressed.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Dry-roast soybeans, 250g, that's 4 quid a day here. Doesn't fly for the same reasons the powder didn't.
  • I hope this is demonstrating exactly how buggered everything is.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The only direct question I recall you asking was the one about the 'pause' graph, to which you received several answers. Beyond that, you just seem to be vaguely linking to denialist websites and newspaper articles. If you have specific questions, ask them. I expect you'll get specific answers.

See how much easier this is?

Now it's up to me to find stuff to present.

But the previous 16 pages give me very little hope for objective answers, though you know I've noted some sources of reason in here, and if I can be bovved', I'll continue to appeal to them, until some of you learn to ease up.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I hope this is demonstrating exactly how buggered everything is.
    I think you can subsist on sunlight alone.
  • Well we'll have plenty of that rite

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!