Climate change apathy Ragnarok thread
  • The impression I got with the Gohmert asking if the forestry service could alter the moons or earths orbit wasn't that he thought it might be possible but that he had been convinced global warming and the forest fires were due to things out of our control of humans (like orbits) and so was implying that if the forestry service couldn't affect orbits then there was nothing to be done.

Still dumb but misinformed dumb instead of outright dumb.
    You rang.....
  • Now that even the scientists are surprised at the crazy heat spikes, where temps are breaking records by 5C, I suppose this will become increasingly relevant:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jul/07/global-heating-climate-crisis-heat-two-classes
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I think we’re done, lads. Even the Daily Mail – the Daily fucking Mail – have given up and accepted that we’re all screwed.

E6UpywoWQAQ0MMs.jpg

Still not quite admitting that climate change is real, but accepting that ragnarok is coming anyway.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We’re reaching the point with this where the only way out is going to be the equivalent of a moonshot but on a global (or at least EU/US/China) scale. There are devices that can capture carbon from the air and store it, but we’d need hundreds of millions of them. We could make hundreds of millions of them, and quickly, if we chose to do so as a species.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    We’re reaching the point with this where the only way out is going to be the equivalent of a moonshot but on a global (or at least EU/US/China) scale. There are devices that can capture carbon from the air and store it, but we’d need hundreds of millions of them. We could make hundreds of millions of them, and quickly, if we chose to do so as a species.

The main issue is so far, most of them are re-using the captured carbon as synthetic fuel. There's no incentive to sequester it, and the technology is expensive, so that's how they recoup costs.
  • The Mail will publish anything people will click on.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

The main issue is so far, most of them are re-using the captured carbon as synthetic fuel. There's no incentive to sequester it, and the technology is expensive, so that's how they recoup costs.

This is kind of what I mean about it being a moonshot. This would have to be something that’s funded by governments and done with no expectation of making that money back.
  • More grim reading. Christ we're in trouble.

LivDiv wrote:
    The Mail will publish anything people will click on.

Maybe, but the met office report released today is fucking grim.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2021/climate-change-continues-to-be-evident-across-uk

The worst of it is the acceleration and feedback loops. We all know it's going to get bad but the speed and scale it's happening is terrifying. It's hard to model properly because new factors - like the thawing of Siberian permafrost, are constantly coming into play.
  • Needs a war-like mobilisation now to stop it. None of this carbon neutral in 30 years shite. Flights grounded, airports closed, imports and exports cut down to essentials etc.
  • Private planes need banning.
    Im sure I remember seeing that the lockdown did little to change aviation pollution because so many private flights were still happening.

Edit: Private jets really. For mi/billionaires swanning around the world. Not talking Cessnas.
  • A lockdown for industry. A permanent one.
  • Ban all planes. You really need people to see it like WW2. “What about my holiday to Crete?” Fuck you there’s a war on. “You want me to walk to work?” Fuck you there’s a war on.
    “I need my South Korean skin care products.” Fuck you there’s a war on.

It’s going to need a big disaster for people in the West to see it that way. A big disaster involving white people, not an Indian village getting wiped out. New York under 2ft of water, thousands dead. That sort of thing. By the time one of those comes along though, it will probably be too late. It probably already is.
  • It's clear governments aren't going to legislate fast enough so the main hope now is for industry to come up with something I guess, some miracle carbon sucking machine or similar.
  • monkey wrote:
    Ban all planes. You really need people to see it like WW2. “What about my holiday to Crete?” Fuck you there’s a war on. “You want me to walk to work?” Fuck you there’s a war on. “I need my South Korean skin care products.” Fuck you there’s a war on. It’s going to need a big disaster for people in the West to see it that way. A big disaster involving white people, not an Indian village getting wiped out. New York under 2ft of water, thousands dead. That sort of thing. By the time one of those comes along though, it will probably be too late. It probably already is.
    No new cars, foreign holidays and cheap clothes and electronics is a huge leap from our current course of switching to electric cars, cycling and walking more and recycling a bit better. I mean, I think you're right, but that's a hard sales pitch for any politician to try.
  • Yeah it's impossible I think. Whoever the opposition is can win just by saying you can still have foreign holidays. Needs a mass public mind switch. Instead of thinking it can be business as usual and a gradual easy transition, they need to go for the one who can best deliver change as quickly as is needed. Then the extreme position wins. 

It's a bit like the 1930s. It's going to be a series of Chamberlains all the way up until the strategy completely, irrecoverably fails.
  • The problem is every government is going to need to do it collectively, which will not happen. If they ban petrol cars in Britain but keep them in France people are going to have a shitfit, and if the population of India goes up by 500 million over the next 20 yrs (as projected) people are going to shrug and ask, what's the point?
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The thing is, the UK has one of the biggest wind and tidal resources in the world. We're a small rocky outcrop in the North Atlantic. We're capable of not only generating all our energy needs from renewables, but actually exporting energy too. We don't actually need anyone else to push us into doing it, the beneifits of being an entirely energy independent country are so astoundingly self evident you'd have to be a moron on the scale of being a Conservative Member of Parliamant not to see it.

We'd be well on our way to exploiting this if we'd voted Labour in 2019, or indeed even 2017. Renewable projects not only offer new skilled jobs, but also have the ability to provide crossover jobs for many currently employed in the fossil fuel industry. Any competent Government here should be able to make huge progress on climate change, and act as a marker for the rest of the world.
  • … people are going to shrug and ask, what's the point?

This is a very real issue for those of us who already feel a bit educated on the climate crisis. It’s one of those rabbitholes where you thought you understood the problems, but then you learn a bit more and realise you previously knew nothing. The problem is bigger. And then you learn a bit more, and realise you still knew nothing. The problem is even bigger. Etc etc.

When I learned the scale and speed of continuing coal-powered industrialisation in China, I noped out. Nothing we do here can make a blind bit of difference. Then you learn about the population increase in India. Nothing we do here can make a blind bit of difference. 

Personally, that doesn’t make me lose hope. I think we in nations like the UK have the privilege of cultural influence, which we can try to wield in a responsible fashion. (I know, I know. Fucking British exceptionalism. But it’s all we’ve got left.)

I’m not giving up my sports car or my high-data-use Internet habit. But I’m helping to organise a pre-CoP26 conference to bring some big multinational corporations together in one room and tell them to stop bickering and get on with saving the fucking planet – because private enterprise are a better hope than our Government.
  • A top-ranking world economy that can completely turn it round could start something off. If eg Germany did it, all the usual excuses go away. They grow faster, cleaner, have a ton of clean, new technologies to sell, leave the industrial countries behind economically etc. Become a template for how to do it.
  • Also needs European counties to club together into a green buyers club. Stop buying your shit from dirty old China. Team up with a non-insane US government then suddenly the biggest purchasers in the world are only buying green. China then no longer have a viable economy without going green.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not even sure that’s enough.

We need a massive investment of money and production capacity into carbon capture and storage to buy us a few more decades to complete the switch to a more sustainable way of life.

Turn every factory in China into a producer of CCS tech for a year. We won’t be able to buy consumer goods for twelve months, but that’s a price worth paying.
  • No it’s nowhere near enough on its own. And even that seems impossible.
  • Might help if we took ‘carbon offsetting’ off the corporate table right away, too. Sending a few million quid to a tree-planting investment fund doesn’t give you carte blanche to keep pumping C02 into the atmosphere, you absolute chancers.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s not enough on its own, but it will buy us time to do the rest of it.
  • poprock wrote:
    When I learned the scale and speed of continuing coal-powered industrialisation in China, I noped out.

There's a but here though.

2-7.jpg

China doesn't actually give a fuck where it's energy comes from. There is absolutely no objection to renewables. China has drastically reduced the cost of renewables with the scale of production they've done. Coal was a means to an end, and it's estimated that by 2025 that 94% of coal fired plants will be more expensive than renewables.They're already looking into a massive expansion of natural gas in this current 5 year plan, which whilst fossil fuel, is better than coal.

They also want to go big on offshore wind, which can provide enormous amounts of power.
  • Did you actually just Google ‘Chinese butt’ for that gag? Because that is commitment and I can respect it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!