Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    As far as comfort blankets go, fucking lol. The world is going to shit, I think we need to break things but I can't be arsed to do owt about it, thank fuck this guy stepped up for me:

maxresdefault.jpg

I wonder what sad song was playing in his head
  • Definitely Mad World.
    The version by the guy with the hat, Christmas number 1 the year they were born.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What are the two sides of this argument exactly?
    - We should do nothing cos there's no point it's all fucked, and point & laugh at anyone bothering to do otherwise
    - We should do what we can, be that non-disruptive or disruptive, support others doing likewise, and hope that if enough people do likewise it might lead to something systemic

If so, yeah I'm going B I think
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah. Nobody has come anywhere near representing your first "side" and you know it
  • I think the sides are roughly ‘do what you can because it all adds up’ versus ‘personal action isn’t even a drop in the ocean so I don’t know what we can do’.

Not the sides in this here thread, I mean the sides more generally. Out in the world.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I like the Just Stop Oil lot. They've at least got people talking.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    …the personal anecdotes and responsibilities of one deserve no place in a conversation about collective action. None. Zero. Not even a mention. If you think otherwise you are honestly just too thick to pay any attention to. sorry that's the truth.
    Collective actions require individuals to collectively act. Here in the real world, it takes a few individuals to start the ball rolling, and others to join in. It takes individuals to coordinate decisions and actions. If you have your reasons for not being able to participate, what makes you think others don’t have the same? If I were to be asked which members of the forum is best placed to abandon their current lifestyle and start breaking things, I’d honestly have your name at the top of my list. If you can’t manage, what makes you think anyone else can? You can keep your insults to yourself.

So we're going with too thick. A brighter spark might have noticed that i haven't engaged with this topic on a personal level from the start. Even if we set aside the utter irrelevance of how i spend my weekends, my not fetching anecdotes on demand doesn't even mean what you think it means! I would've thought you could join those dots unassisted, but i appear to have overestimated you.
  • I'd still like some good ol' fashioned sabotage.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The way I've seen it, they can correct me if I'm wrong:

SG: Personal responsibility will pull us out the shit, governments won't. It's all on us to sacrifice enough to save the planet

Noxy: We need to break stuff but I'm not going to do it and I don't expect anyone else to either. Just Stop Oil have got this

Me: everyone do what is reasonably practicable, but without global enforcement of strict policy regulating everything and everyone from individuals up to OmniGlobalMegaCorps then we're fucked. Just Stop Oil, fucking lol
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

They raise awareness with their stunts I suppose, but I don't think anyone isn't aware by this stage. They're either engaged with it or they're not
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Be good one day on here to see an actual debate without backhanded insults, slurs and the usual schoolyard bullshit flung about like kids. Keep it up lads, fucking hell. Get heated, sure, but you're all adults.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message

They raise awareness with their stunts I suppose, but I don't think anyone isn't aware by this stage. They're either engaged with it or they're not

And I actually think they're just as likely to push cunts the other way with their disruption than to get them onside
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Be good one day on here to see an actual debate without backhanded insults, slurs and the usual schoolyard bullshit flung about like kids. Keep it up lads, fucking hell. Get heated, sure, but you're all adults.

No need for puns
  • As far as comfort blankets go, fucking lol. The world is going to shit, I think we need to break things but I can't be arsed to do owt about it, thank fuck this guy stepped up for me:

maxresdefault.jpg

I wonder what sad song was playing in his head

I'm hearing Walkaway by Cast.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    - We should do nothing cos there's no point it's all fucked, and point & laugh at anyone bothering to do otherwise
    Nah. Nobody has come anywhere near representing your first "side" and you know it
    Me: everyone do what is reasonably practicable, but without global enforcement of strict policy regulating everything and everyone from individuals up to OmniGlobalMegaCorps then we're fucked. Just Stop Oil, fucking lol

So what's the distinction between my first "side" and your self-described position then? Is it that we'll magically get global enforcement of strict policy without any individuals doing anything, or that we should do what's reasonably practicable even though that still leaves it all fucked?

And that we can only point & laugh at a subset of people bothering to do otherwise, maybe?
  • Be good one day on here to see an actual debate without backhanded insults, slurs and the usual schoolyard bullshit flung about like kids. Keep it up lads, fucking hell. Get heated, sure, but you're all adults.

unless it's ZMM, right? 

This is going nowhere so I'll duck out now. Enjoy your check-mate, guys. What a gotcha. You really had me cornered.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

So what's the distinction between my first "side" and your self-described position then? Is it that we'll magically get global enforcement of strict policy without any individuals doing anything, or that we should do what's reasonably practicable even though that still leaves it all fucked?

And that we can only point & laugh at a subset of people bothering to do otherwise, maybe?

Well obviously I'm not advocating for people to do nothing. I've never even come close to saying it, nor seen anyone else looking like saying anything along those lines. I understand why people keep wanting that point to argue against, because it's easy. But no one is saying that.

And you can point and laugh at anyone you want. Knock yourself out
  • SG was advocating personal responsibility and saying people won't do enough out of short-sighted selfishness. It's total bollocks. A lot of people do as much as they can be reasonably expected to do as individuals. They will continue to do so because they've got to do something but they know it's not enough.

It's not that disruption and protest can't work. It's that to do that on a wide enough scale for it to be effective requires mass participation. And people just aren't going to start glueing themselves to the road. The person that said it's the most constructive strategy won't do it himself.

JSO are a right-wing climate deniers wet dream frankly. Very easy to characterise as a bunch of middle class Tarquins fresh out of uni with no idea how the world works. The swing voter Middle England cunts that decide elections hate them. "They get people talking." Yeah they're saying they're arseholes and they made me late for work.
  • But I concede that Just Stop Oil and the likes are what you get when people try to square the circle of ‘I want to do something’ and ‘I don’t know how to be effective’.

I hope that if any of us thought we had the right solution, we’d be out there doing it right now.
  • There are effective political solutions (or at least chances for progress) available. There's an election approx 18 months from now that can be prepared for. But it does need someone / some organisation to properly start it up and get it the coverage and reach it needs. The Greens ideally but I don't know what they hell they do with their time.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    But I concede that Just Stop Oil and the likes are what you get when people try to square the circle of ‘I want to do something’ and ‘I don’t know how to be effective’.

I hope that if any of us thought we had the right solution, we’d be out there doing it right now.

Deffo. I'm not kidding when I say I'm willing to get behind Noxy's revolution. But when it turns out to be the feeble JSO shite? Yeah, no
  • We should be more like this guy -

• That vid doesn't actually answer anything about the wizard. Here's a longer bit of that battle that I recommend watching for the lols, it's quite gratifying.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I'd still like some good ol' fashioned sabotage.

beastie-boys-sabotage-sound-engineer-memoir-tim-meadows.png
  • Be good one day on here to see an actual debate without backhanded insults, slurs and the usual schoolyard bullshit flung about like kids. Keep it up lads, fucking hell. Get heated, sure, but you're all adults.

unless it's ZMM, right? 

This is going nowhere so I'll duck out now. Enjoy your check-mate, guys. What a gotcha. You really had me cornered.

Yeah, they bullied me out of the other thread.

Hasn't the argument in here caused a lot of energy loss on whatever server this forum is whirring away on? The ironing is delicious.
  • ZMM wrote:
    unless it's ZMM, right?  This is going nowhere so I'll duck out now. Enjoy your check-mate, guys. What a gotcha. You really had me cornered.
    Yeah, they bullied me out of the other thread. Hasn't the argument in here caused a lot of energy loss on whatever server this forum is whirring away on? The ironing is delicious.

Oh there you are.  I wanted to apologise, on behalf of the entire forum, for the entirely unjustified bulling you received when you posted a thing you believe.  Your belief is important to us.  Please hold.
  • It was a bit off to comment on faking mental health issues with someone known for mental health issues, but there's deffo a historic readiness to go studs up against zmm at any opportunity by some folks, and noxy you can't call for breakages and not be ready to break stuff yourself.

I recycle my plastic but won't do reusable nappies.
  • monkey wrote:
    ZMM wrote:
    Vote green, that's the best thing one individual can do
    This is the most constructive strategy. But it needs to be properly coordinated. A full-on movement of millions of UK voters that vote as a block exclusively on climate issues. Becoming king makers for the next government. No one votes green because of the electoral system. That can be gotten around with coordination and sheer weight of numbers. There are definitely enough people concerned about this to make this viable. But it does need to be started by someone with slightly more national clout than I've got.

It's that for me. I'd be pissing my vote away and letting the Tories or Lib Dems in, and fuck that for a game of soldiers

I'll never understand this view. If the majority voted green then they would be elected? It's making democracy kind of pointless by thinking that political allegiances are so entrenched. If there is a global climate emergency, I think a lot more people will vote green. But also their policies used to be what Labour were about until a few months ago
  • nick_md wrote:
    It was a bit off to comment on faking mental health issues with someone known for mental health issues, but there's deffo a historic readiness to go studs up against zmm at any opportunity by some folks, and noxy you can't call for breakages and not be ready to break stuff yourself.

I recycle my plastic but won't do reusable nappies.

He's gone to his highly paid private doctor to get diagnosed, what is the doc going to say? And I maintain that, if you are taking risks like that, knowing that you have a mental health problem, it doesn't feel right to me, and further stigmatises mental health illnesses. He wanted it to happen, probably? It's unfathomable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!