• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Thanks to last year's redundancies: no longer having to work with the colleague who said "NOPE!" then sat there all chuffed with himself every single fucking time the building fire alarm test said "may I have your attention please".   Worst person I've ever worked with for a multitude of reasons, thank fuck he's gone (and employed elsewhere, ergo I sidestep being a dick here).

Did he make a popping sound with his lips at the end of the NOPE?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It was more of a "NnnnOPE".
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ohhhh.....that's pretty annoying too.
  • Death by 1000000 cuts when you sit in a small room with someone you don't like for 20 years.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've been very lucky in that respect over the years.

Wait.........Am I the annoying cunt?
  • Leaving drinks for a real old timer today, meant I got to head into the office (a rarity), see colleagues, collect an arcade stick I left there for about 5 years, enjoy a private free bar at a place by Oxford street, have a proper send off for the guy and now on the train home with some sushi and a couple of cans to tie things off. Lovely stuff.
  • Train is busy tho
  • No one is sitting next to me and my sushi and cans at least.
  • I work with a right prick. He leaves his coffee cups on my desk and listens to podcasts all day.

It's me. I work at home. Alone
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I also work from home pretty much permanently but there are colleagues I've had for over a decade that it's nice to see in the flesh. I think my ideal would be one or two days in office a week but I live too far out now.
  • I'd quite like a scanner in my garden and the post delivered to me so I could WFH, but as that's not really viable the ideal is now.  I don't work 65 miles away from my house any more (always fun during rail strikes), which is nice, and we've lost the most universally detested man I've ever worked with, the lass who had so many dodgy sick days she once averaged a three day week in a year and the guy who got caught bugging the room by alternating USB dictaphones.  It won't last long, but I'm finally living the dream.
  • Our head of dept suggested a mandatory 90 minute meeting in the office. We all said no. He insisted and said it would count as a mandatory training event.
    One of our line managers then emailed him a breakdown of the costs.

The average team member has a 3.5 hour commute each way. As it's mandatory training the company is required to pay for travel and accommodation for those travellers spending over 2 hours commuting.

This equated to 300 lost hours and over £3000 from out budget. All to appease the bosses ego to have us all in to listen to him for 90 minutes.

He relented and now the meeting/training is suddenly not so important!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Always the botom line dictating things!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Think you're being dicks to be honest. 

Also who has a 3.5hr commute each way? To be fair, whoever hired you should've thought more about hiring people so far away if there are ever meetings on site but you should also recognise that these would take place and should therefore attend if required.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    Think you're being dicks to be honest.  Also who has a 3.5hr commute each way? To be fair, whoever hired you should've thought more about hiring people so far away if there are ever meetings on site but you should also recognise that these would take place and should therefore attend if required.

I don't think Wookie said there have always been or always mentioned on-site meetings.  It's a new thing they wanted to introduce for a workforce that doesn't need to be on site regularly.  So no, they're not being dicks.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Also who has a 3.5hr commute each way?

It depends how they're carrying the coconuts.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    Think you're being dicks to be honest.  Also who has a 3.5hr commute each way? To be fair, whoever hired you should've thought more about hiring people so far away if there are ever meetings on site but you should also recognise that these would take place and should therefore attend if required.
    I don't think Wookie said there have always been or always mentioned on-site meetings.  It's a new thing they wanted to introduce for a workforce that doesn't need to be on site regularly.  So no, they're not being dicks.

that's my point.. so it's a one off type thing.. just go. And go for the day, don't stay over night, you don't need to.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • No. Its not required, there's no reason it can't be done on teams and it's nothing more than an ego stroke.

We have been hired from all over the country as the idea is to hire the best people, not the best people close to the office. We have people in Scotland now.

• Ah wait I misread stuff.  I thought it was going to be a new regular meeting. Sounds like a one-off meeting in whics case seems reasonable enough.
  • Can I point out that Wookie isn’t being a dick? His line manager complained to the boss. Not him. Wookie’s just waiting to be told whether he has to go to a meeting or not. And it looks like the answer is no, he doesn’t. All’s well that ends well.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    His boss ain't gonna shag you mk
  • poprock wrote:
    Can I point out that Wookie isn’t being a dick? His line manager complained to the boss. Not him. Wookie’s just waiting to be told whether he has to go to a meeting or not. And it looks like the answer is no, he doesn’t. All’s well that ends well.

"we all said no" 

@wookie - there are benefits of meeting people in your team IRL/face to face once in a while
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Are you talking about finger blasting your colleagues?

Poor form MK
  • eh?

Just saying it's not unreasonable for a manager to want their team to meet face to face as a one off. Even if there is a cost to the business.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Horny bugger
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fingers in multiple pies that lad
  • My line manager and the other line managers all agreed it's pointless.
    They made the arguement to the big boss that if will eat massively into our budget and consume 300 hours of work time that could be spent actually doing our jobs.

We all agreed and said it's bollocks.

Big boss frequently shows he has no clue on the practicalities of these plans of his and the impact on everyone else in the team and industry.

So yea. It's a win.

I have no issue with face to face on the odd occasion but not when it's completely pointless and will involve lost expenses and time
  • I think it's important and beneficial to get some IRL face time with colleagues; yesterday I got to spend time with some of the team that I hadn't seen in person for a year or so, there's definitely benefit to it. No idea about wookie's boss ofc, maybe this is an ego thing for him, if I were requesting it I'd include some team stuff like a meal or early finish then pub, not just a 90 minute meeting then that's it.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I think it's important and beneficial to get some IRL face time with colleagues

I thought so too yesterday when I was in the office but then it took me 2 and a half hours to get home so was very much fuck that afterwards.

Going in sucked shit too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!