Reasons to be cheerful
  • Last few times I've had to go in for face to face it's been a waste of time. As are so many meetings I get dragged to that could've just been an email.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Took me 3hrs to get in yesterday and same back obvs, still enjoyed it.

If it's a waste of time when you go in then that needs better organizing so the things you're doing are worthwhile. Getting benefit from face to face interactions at work surely isn't an alien concept. I guess it depends on if you like your colleagues as well to a degree.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I go in once a week and fucking love it. Just having that face to face is cracking and allowed me to build connections within the business I wouldn't have been able to do via Teams.
  • Translation: DS is on the pull. There’s a fittie in accounts.
  • Heh
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    dude I just know behind my back all the gyal salivate I just don't look cos play it cool innit bare gash
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    One of those things where I realise how absolutely different I am from a number of people on here. When lessons went online it was absolutely pulling teeth, even with good engagement. When we went back into the building with pupils and everyone was still on Teams, that was heaven to me. I love being around others and getting energy from them, chatting shite with colleagues and doing dumb quizzes at lunch time. Couldn't ever do a solitary job, absolute hell..
  • You and me both H.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I get that. But I work so much better alone. I get so much more done when just left to my own devices.
    I've been on "Do Not Disturb' all day and I've had my most productive day all week.

When my wife took the kids on holiday for a week to the in laws I stayed at home. I locked myself away, worked quietly with teams on DND and barely spoke to anyone all week.

Was heaven
  • ADHD and working from home alone is a recipe for disaster. I've not been into the office for two months now and I've begun to climb the fucking walls. The stress is killing me.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]
  • I can see how that could be tough
  • I was chatting to my mate this evening. His nephew is having to relocate to Glasgow.

The nephew’s girlfriend works remotely, as do most staff for the company she works for. The company are introducing a mandatory minimum of one day in the office each week. The offices are in London, Leeds and Glasgow. Everyone on the team she works with are in London. So, they’re forcing her to be in an office in Glasgow, in order to be in the same Teams meeting she would be in with her team anyway, but now they’re all sitting at desks with worse set-ups than they each have at home.

The conversation moved onto the positives (nephew is just about to graduate so it’s not a bad time to relocate, he spent a few years growing up in Bearsden, so he can attend his beloved Motherwell more often, and visit his grandparents, Glasgow is a cool city for a young couple) so I didn’t get into why she can’t just commute for one day a week, but the fact that she will just be in a Teams meeting, and they are content with that, highlights that the mandatory office time is just bullshit from bosses who want to assert authority.

Meanwhile, my mate is delighted. He joined the company he works for early on in lockdown and, apart from a day here or there, has worked from home. Over the last while his company have bought smaller companies, and moved the staff into their own building, so my mate no longer has a desk, let alone his own office. Apart from occasional meetings, he’s entirely home-based.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What it comes down to for me is the physical separation of my home and work space. I like the fact knowing that when I'm home, bar the occasional email I am in a space that is untouched, physically distant from the school I work in, out of the catchment area etc. It allows me to have that decompression space without any messy melding of the two.
  • My other half has days, weeks even, where I'm the only human she interacts with. WFH has semi fried her brain. New job incoming, thank god.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    What it comes down to for me is the physical separation of my home and work space. I like the fact knowing that when I'm home, bar the occasional email I am in a space that is untouched, physically distant from the school I work in, out of the catchment area etc. It allows me to have that decompression space without any messy melding of the two.

I get around this easily with two approaches.
    One is that I do the school run before starting work so I get what feels like a "commute" in which I leave the house and walk a mile to school and a mile back.

Then when I finish work I clear my desk completely and everything gets put out of sight into drawers (minus the monitor of course).

Once I've done my hours I do not touch work stuff at all.
  • Yeah walking the dog bookends my work day and I have the garden office so it's like having the world's shortest commute.
    Lock the office up and I'm done.

I'm also very fortunate that my bosses do not micro manage at all. I'm left to my own devices to get through my list of tasks as I see fit, tasks I've had a large input in setting myself. I work flexitime 7.5 hours a day with core hours of 10-4, lunch at anytime around midday. As long as I don't have meetings I largely do as I please. We also aren't a big meetings company, we have them as and when but they are casual in nature yet also to the point, no sitting through anyone's 50 page presentation, nobody would be impressed by it.
  • i work from home majority of time and love it. works well for me, handy for the kids, and i'm good at switching off at end of day.
    3.5hour drive each way to be in a meeting all day yesterday, that i have previously and can easily teams into. generally involves listening to all the other managers do their report, then 10 mins doing my report.
    boss likes it to be face to face, keeps suggesting i should travel down the day before, get the train, stay over etc.
    meetings are mostly about reducing costs...doesn't seem to compute that if i was to get a train (which takes longer than driving due to all the changes and travelling to/from stations) and stay over even once a month it would cost over 4K per year just for me, plus the time i lose being at home and a day of work that i'd otherwise fit in and around the meeting.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I do three days a week in the studio and two days at home. Creative industries though, innit. Benefits massively from having people together to chat, share ideas, and criticise each other’s work.

I also have to travel a lot to be with clients. That’s just part of the job. I’m regularly in places like London, Manchester or Aberdeen. Sometimes just for one meeting, sometimes for up to a week.
  • Can this be an email?
    Email.
    Can this be done in TEAMS?
    do it in TEAMS.
    Must this be done on person?
    Are you sure?
    Really?
    Fine. In person
  • During covid times my team was made to work in Hertfordshire, which was a daily 2hr commute each way (longer when I had to walk 3 miles to get a lift at 5am).  Ball. Ache.  Then they forced us to work there permanently, despite the fact that the Canary Wharf office remained mostly empty.  During the consultation process they agreed to add the price of a yearly train ticket to our wages, plus a bit of extra 'stop making a fuss' bunce.   

About a year later the cunt in charge of all that left the company, they got rid of the Rickmansworth site (which was within a mile of his house ofc), offered a redundancy incentive to 3 people (which 3 people took) and moved the remaining 3 (myself included) back to the main office in Canary Wharf.  Here comes the good bit - they couldn't touch the boosted salary, so that's my wage now.  I worked a 6 day week for 10 years but I earn more than I used to with the double time OT included, and I haven't worked a Saturday since 2020.  Sometimes getting shafted works out.
  • The biggest issue with remote work in our industry is training. Junior staff learn and improve by just being around more experienced people. Seeing and hearing and collaborating. That’s why I’ll always prefer hybrid over remote. Best of both worlds.
  • Hybrid works well with creative studios I think. You've mentioned the positives of being in the studio but the newer wfh model allows time to get on with the nitty gritty as well without distraction or constant change of tact.
    Ive definitely freelanced in studios where people have ended up working late because the boring stuff wasnt done in normal work hours.
  • poprock wrote:
    The biggest issue with remote work in our industry is training. Junior staff learn and improve by just being around more experienced people. Seeing and hearing and collaborating. That’s why I’ll always prefer hybrid over remote. Best of both worlds.
    i do think that training and development is a possible issue and something that may become more apparent in coming years as more staff come onboard without as much of that experience.
    fortunately my team is pretty dug in and been the same for years, but i do dread if anyone left as that could be a nightmare for me
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    We've moved back to three in the office and two at home. Like Pop, we're in the creative industry and it really is needed. I thought I was not going to like it, but I really enjoy it when the whole team are in and there is a buzz about the place. Still leaves time for focus when doing reports/pitch decks etc when WFHing.

We also have exceptions for that depending on team members, e.g. dev, it's not a one-rule-for-all thing.
  • Yeah - Liv and Boris covered it. I like hybrid because it gives you collaboration days and focus days. And I need both.
  • Our place is a three-office, two-home hybrid week, though as I'm the only one in Glasgow it's flipped for me. Even then I'm often only going across once a week and they're fine with it, which is nice. I appreciate the flexibility, though when I'm the only one Teamsing in to meetings I definitely feel like I'm stuck on Thunderbird 5 while everyone else swans about partying on Tracy Island without me.
  • I saw this from the other side yesterday. Had to go present to around 27 people at a public sector org. So I walk over to their offices - they have a big building across town. Get myself set up in their biggest conference room, which has a table that seats 30–40 people. Five people show up. Everybody else wants to log in via Teams. Even people who are literally sitting upstairs in the same building.

They’re a Government executive branch and their massive office building is nearly empty these days. Maybe one in six people actually goes in, and only for one day a week each.

I gave an hour long presentation that is about important stuff for all of them. I get questions and suggestions and interaction from the five people in the room. I get fuck all from the other 20-odd who are on Teams. Only one of them even bothered to switch their camera on. They probably weren’t even there.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    To be fair to them, if it's a government department chances are they are on a gov vpn for access to work IT, which means it probably has bandwidth issues. It's common practice to have your cameras off for meetings to reduce issues for the presenter, unless there is a need not to.
  • Some people just always have their camera off whatever call they're in and tbh I find it quite rude. Often if a question is asked of them you get the classic 'sorry can you say that again I was just responding to something' i.e. not engaged in the call at all.

I know some folks have cameras off for legit reasons, technical or personal, but a fair chunk of non camera folks don't have those reasons imo.
  • It’s not the cameras that are a problem. It’s the culture. Call a meeting for 27 people and only five show up. People choosing to stay at their desk on Teams instead of travelling one floor down in the lift to attend in person. Not one of the 22 dialled-in people having a single thing to say in the meeting.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!