Le Tour de France (and other cycling) Thread
  • Damn it i want to buy a new bike now.

I only have 3.

I should treat myself, right?
  • Teenage kids have soecialized ones and they’ve been grand. Defo check them out.
  • I hope none of you are planning on cycling during the funeral.
  • @Scout

I’d stay away from Specialized, even though they make great bikes you don’t get much bike for the money.

I’d recommend Cube, can you get the use of the cycle to work scheme?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Djornson wrote:
    Damn it i want to buy a new bike now.

I only have 3.

I should treat myself, right?

Yeah, I don’t need anymore either but another would be nice.

I have 2 Ribbles, a Kona Full Suss Mtn bike and an old Specialized Allez comp on my turbo trainer.

• Thanks for the advice all. The Decathlon one looks like a good shout. Annoyingly I've just moved from a flat with a Decathlon literally 5 mins away to a house where the nearest Decathlon is an hour away. I'd be happy to go second hand it's just that I have no idea what I'm doing and at least buying new gives me a bit more confidence a wheel isn't going to fall off at the first corner. This is especially concerning as I'm going to put a child seat on it.
  • Where about do you live Scout? Will have a search on marketplace for bikes in your area.

Childseat is worth a mention. That definitely affects the kind of bike you want. I'd say the style of bike is a bigger safety factor than new/used.
  • Appreciate that muchly. I should have mentioned the child seat thing. We've just moved back to Swansea.
  • Looks like you have a Tredz? I've never actually been to a Tredz but they do decent mountain bikes, i suspect they'd have some hybrids you could try and MAY know about child seat suitability

https://www.tredz.co.uk/help-advice/customer-service/stores/tredz-swansea
  • Ohh you also have a Giant. Living the dream. Like i say worth going and just getting a feel for things even if go home and buy online

https://threebestrated.co.uk/bicycle-shops-in-swansea
  • Scout wrote:
    Appreciate that muchly. I should have mentioned the child seat thing. We've just moved back to Swansea.

Something like this would suit you (could haggle on price). My bike is similar and I used a Hamax child seat attached to the seat tube. Is your child seat rear or front?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1321697231910383/

Like others say, take a look at hybrids. They are quite a bit cheaper and you could get a new one within your budget if you aren't too fussed about having higher end components.
  • Thanks again! You've all given me lots to mull over. Wasn't going to get anything this month so I'll start looking into it all properly.
  • New ride arrived. Absolute beast so far. Cheeky motor, so making my climbs a bit less arduous (cheating).

Ribble Gravel AL e

LBpNz55.jpg
  • Nice! Looks like a nice machine. The tech’s clearly getting better, can a hardly tell that’s an E-bike.

I hope you’re not putting those assisted rides on strava, some of those strava cyclists can get quite aggressive!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Daddy wrote:
    Nice! Looks like a nice machine. The tech’s clearly getting better, can a hardly tell that’s an E-bike. I hope you’re not putting those assisted rides on strava, some of those strava cyclists can get quite aggressive!

I do put them on Strava, but label them a e-bike rides, which means the segments I do won't appear for non-cheat riders. 

As for the tech. Yeah, the motor is in the rear wheel hub and battery is also internal. There is a very sleek switch on the top tub for motor controls. No display on the handle bars at all. It looks like a standard bike.

There are some trade-offs. Less torque/power than a mid-motor design. Comparing it to a mate's e-MTB. His weighs an absolute ton but puts out crazy power if needed. I tried to lift his bike over a little wall once. Was an effort. My new bike outputs less power (which is actually desirable for me, since it's tempting to just whack on the full assist when tired), weighs a lot less (I have it hanging from a wall at home no problem) and handles like a proper bike.
  • Well that’s this year’s tour won.
  • Yeah that was unreal.
  • The commentary saying how Pogacar looked beaten, but he was over a minute quicker than 3rd place, it was just an immense ride from Vingegaard.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Quick question - have always casually watched the Tour.

The good climbers - are they a different body type than the rest? Is there a characteristic that makes them so?  I presume they generate more power than speed?  Or is it a weight thing?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It’s all down to what type of asthma they’ve got.
  • davyK wrote:
    Quick question - have always casually watched the Tour.

The good climbers - are they a different body type than the rest? Is there a characteristic that makes them so?  I presume they generate more power than speed?  Or is it a weight thing?

I imagine, and speaking from mostly ignorance, it’s the equation of weight and power as well as being more titled towards aerobic rather than aneorobic exercise and the whole fast twitch vs slow twitch muscle fibre thing. Certainly someone who’s a real aerobic power monster over an hour or so can become a brilliant big mountain climber if they get their weight down low enough and maintain their power through the peddles whilst doing it. Eg wiggins.
    GT: Knight640
  • We know someone currently part of it all - participating. It’s whoever has the best gear.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!