theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I dunno. You take two kids (brother and sister if you like, Dawkins acolytes), give one a bag of sweets and the other none. How many kids would share one one, never mind equally, those sweets without someone telling them (or having previously told them) they should?

Strikes me humans are born bad and society/religion/law forces them to be good.

Not born good and religion forces them to be evil (which is one of the most bizarre statements from an academic I've ever read)
  • @gonz and @JonB 
    Well yeah, humans are pretty dumb actually:  http://youarenotsosmart.com/
    I don't think we're anything particularly special (i.e. qualitatively different) when compared to other animals, we're just further along the evolutionary road and a lot more successful, but basically the same as the other big primates. 
    Seems incorrect to attribute only humans with inner conscious life and decision-making ability, and deny that animals are able to do the same - in fact, not just incorrect, but dangerous even:  http://www.grandin.com/welfare/animals.people.autism.true.consciousness.html
  • Mod74 wrote:
    You're either missing or avoiding the point I've made several times that "faith" isn't just a belief in things that can't be proved.
    I have stated more than once that Faith requires belief without evidence. To be clearer, this doesn't mean that evidence for their conclusion being true doesn't exist, it just means that it plays no part in their belief that it is true. Even if you were not sure that that was the context in which I am discussing the word you could deduce it from that fact that I spent two entire posts talking about how believing in things without evidence is not a reliable path to discerning the truth about reality. It may very well be that one arrives at a true conclusion through faith, but given the method it is extremely unlikely that they will, and they are in no more of a position to defend their faithful views than someone who believes in a fantasy. Choosing to believe that something is true without having any evidential basis on which to assert such a claim, is delusional. Is there something about this which you do not understand? Can I take it that we are in agreement on this? Can you provide an example of faith not requiring someone to believe in something with disregard to if their belief is supported by evidence or not?
    Mod74 wrote:
    I'm sure you're not stupid enough to think that faith or religion isn't simply accepting wholesale every element of that faith.
    I suppose your assurance as to my aptitude comes from the fact that I never said that's what faith was, nor did I talk about faith as a substitute word for religion. I am pointing out that faith requires people to believe things to be true without any evidence, and that this is delusional. The fact that every religion or 'faith' (as you put it) in existence requires people to do this means that one necessarily has to engage in at least some delusional beliefs in order to follow them. The fact that one doesn't buy into all the un-evidenced beliefs a religion offers wholesale does not make the ones they do buy into any less delusional.  They are just cherry picking their delusions.
    Mod74 wrote:
    You want to ridicule the fantastical or cherry pick certain passages but you're ignoring everything that's a perfectly sensible rational way to live your life.
    I am ridiculing the faithful bits, hence singling them out for ridicule and ignoring the parts that do not include faith because they have no bearing on the faithful bits still being delusional. Are you unsure of how keeping a discussion on point works?  You've already tried to shift the goalposts once by changing a discussion about faith into a discussion about the benefits that religion provides.  You're not going to do it again are you?  Either faith is delusional or it is not.
    Mod74 wrote:
    I don't understand why you're willing to accept societal rules handed down from millenia but religious ones are delusional. If you're religious or not you're still placing faith in a set of life rules/lessons someone else created.
    I'm not sure how you know which social rules I do and do not accept, but I explained with extreme lucidity that I endeavour to base my acceptance of truth claims on reason and evidence and if someone can point out where I have failed to do this I will change my mind about those claims being true because I am not bound by faithful dogma to still accept them as true. Can you point out where I have failed to base my truth claims on reason and evidence?  If you can I want to know.
    Mod74 wrote:
    If the only thing you know about faith is it's a belief in a beardy guy on a cloud creating a universe then I could understand why you would think that was delusional. I'm sure you understand faith is a lot more than that so I don't know why you'd ignore everything else other than the fact only talking about unprovable (note, not untrue) elements supports your viewpoint.
    Considering I have defined how I am using the word faith over and over again for you before this post, and again in this post, I am at a loss as to how you think the only thing that qualifies as belief without evidence is the belief in a 'beardy guy on a cloud creating a universe'. I have also not only talked about the unprovable, I seem to remember writing a two part magic-dice analogy talking about how faith can come to conclusions which are provable, but that the fact that their conclusions may be provable using reason and evidence has no bearing on the fact that the process the faithful person used to arrive at a conclusion is still as delusional as is their reason for accepting their conclusions as true.

Also, if something that makes rational sense is unknown, un-evidenced, unknowable or un-provable then there is no rational method for coming to a conclusion about whether that something is real or not until some evidence for it is found. The things for which we have no evidence that could possibly be true are myriad and often at odds with each other, so choosing one and claiming that it is true while disregarding all others (ie: talking it on faith) is delusional and very likely to be wrong.

Let me illustrate the point with an example. Let's consider that we have an idea about a god that is rational.  Either this god does or does not exist, but there is no evidence to support a belief in either the existence or non existence of such a god. Either of these claims are possibly true, but one of the claims is necessarily true, and the other is necessarily false, so if we have no evidence by which to tell which is true and which on is false then simply choosing one and claiming it is true (ie: taking it on faith) is delusional, even though you have a 50% chance of being right. The rational stance is to not make a truth claim about either, because you cannot know until some evidence is forthcoming. If you do not know, then why pretend to know?
    Mod74 wrote:
    I'm sure you must have talked in the past about the benefits, but right now saying faith=delusion makes you come across as just as closed minded as they monsters you're fighting.
    Believing in something without evidence is indistinguishable from believing in something which is made up and not part of reality, which is delusional. If you find a flaw with my rationality then I will change my mind, but I have no reason to take it on faith that you might have a magical way to prove me wrong that for some reason you are not sharing. All the evidence I see points to man who want me to open my mind to his way of thinking, abandon a rational understanding of my own ideas and then promptly close it again. Maybe you should open your mind instead?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Strikes me humans are born bad and society/religion/law forces them to be good.

Not born good and religion forces them to be evil (which is one of the most bizarre statements from an academic I've ever read)
    I think both statements are equally wrong. Being born 'bad' requires exactly the same argument of moral 'preprogramming' as Ali's, and I would use the same argument against it. The whole meaning of 'bad' and 'good' is a matter of social convention in the first place.
    djchump wrote:
    Seems incorrect to attribute only humans with inner conscious life and decision-making ability, and deny that animals are able to do the same - in fact, not just incorrect, but dangerous even:
    I was talking about moral decision-making ability (i.e. some concept that an action is good or bad), not claiming that animals have no thought processes at all. But, even if they had such moral abilities, without any way of communicating it to us or some technology that can measure intentions it would be impossible for us to tell. A scientific approach would presumably mean not jumping to such conclusions, I'd imagine. In fact it would be an act of faith to attribute morality to animals based on current knowledge.

Edit: except Amaterasu, obviously.
  • JonB wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    Seems incorrect to attribute only humans with inner conscious life and decision-making ability, and deny that animals are able to do the same - in fact, not just incorrect, but dangerous even:
    I was talking about moral decision-making ability (i.e. some concept that an action is good or bad), not claiming that animals have no thought processes at all.
    I don't think I've understood what you mean with respect to moral decision-making TBH.  
    I see moral decisions as the same as other thought processes - so my presumption is that if animals can think, then animals can make decisions, then animals can make moral decisions. 

The thrust of you're point seems to be that animals don't have a concept of "good or bad" - i.e. intrinsic moral value to an action - which itself relies on an agreement that an action is "good or bad" and that somehow only humans are privy to this knowledge (or that "good and bad" is a human-only higher-level mental abstraction).
    If we were to take a utilitarian stance on the nature of the "goodness or badness" of an action, then I don't see how animals wouldn't be able to distinguish if an action would lead to better circumstances for their social group, etc.
    JonB wrote:
    But, even if they had such moral abilities, without any way of communicating it to us or some technology that can measure intentions it would be impossible for us to tell.
    Well, that way lies solipsism - Schopenhauer argues that we only understand other minds, that other people have their own internal consciousness and life, through extrapolation from our own. If they have mind, arising from brains as nearly complex as human, then what's to say they don't have internal consciousness and some level of abstract concepts/thought?
    JonB wrote:
    A scientific approach would presumably mean not jumping to such conclusions, I'd imagine. 
    Well, a scientific approach first requires curiosity and not jumping to conclusions, sure - but there is evidence of altruism and empathy in animals so it's not completely pie in the sky.

Also, it's my belief that I'm the one applying Occam's Razor here - I am claiming that humans aren't all that different to other animals, you are claiming that humans are special in some unique, unexplained way that is unattainable by other animals.
    JonB wrote:
    In fact it would be an act of faith to attribute morality to animals.
    Doesn't seem that way to me - if animals can show altruism and empathy (with evidence, so that's not on faith), why could they not hold concepts that something is "good" or "bad"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altruism_in_animals
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_morality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_ethics
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Some_Guy wrote:
    Choosing to believe that something is true without having any evidential basis on which to assert such a claim, is delusional. Is there something about this which you do not understand? Can I take it that we are in agreement on this?

I'll pick this one as I think it illustrates your and my point best.

If believing in something that can't be proved true or untrue is delusional then not believing it is exactly equally delusional.

You've deluded yourself that there isn't a God waiting for you when you die (or whatever variant the religion chooses) just as much as the people who think there is have.

The only logical outcome is that the question is unanswerable, to fall one side or the other is an equally large leap of faith.

No side will ever produce an answer (though someone logical would have to accept that the "yes there is a God" camp might one day)

You're being delusional by believing in something that doesn't exist, i.e. proof that there isn't a God.

So, now we're done with the proof question, we're left with the day to day actions of followers which I think are of greater on the whole benefit to them personally and society generally.

Certainly I'd rather grant people the freedom to get on with life and believe whatever the hell they want then mount an offensive attack based on nothing more than a guess.
  • Really? I think you will find that every living thing on the planet is here to breed, make copies of itself, pass on genetic information. Other base actions are generally learned. They are bred for certain physical attributes that allow them to carry out certain actions. they may even be breed for aggressiveness or passiveness.  But being born with these abilities you stated above? I can't say I agree with you.

Fight or flight? You don't learn that. If you had to, you would fail to do either and end up as something's lunch.
  • Did read summat in the Econ the other day about researchers discovering tiny babies have an innate sense of justice (well, vengeance). Like, if they saw character A doing something shitty to character B and then later had an opportunity to withold resources from A, they totally did.
  • Broadly, humans are born Social. So far as we align being social with being good, humans am gud.
  • This all a bit Lie To Me, but backs up the idea of a morality instinct, something psychology has toyed with for decades:

http://psychcentral.com/news/2009/03/02/bad-behavior-leaves-bad-taste-in-mouth/4482.html
  • Ali wrote:
    Really? I think you will find that every living thing on the planet is here to breed, make copies of itself, pass on genetic information. Other base actions are generally learned. They are bred for certain physical attributes that allow them to carry out certain actions. they may even be breed for aggressiveness or passiveness.  But being born with these abilities you stated above? I can't say I agree with you.

Fight or flight? You don't learn that. If you had to, you would fail to do either and end up as something's lunch.

You weren't talking about fight or flight. You were talking about a dog herding ducklings.
    Even still, that is a learned behaviour.

show me otherwise please.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It's not learned. It's adapted hunting instinct. Orphaned collie pups will happily do it without ever being shown.
  • Proof. Woof...
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I'll pick this one as I think it illustrates your and my point best. If believing in something that can't be proved true or untrue is delusional then not believing it is exactly equally delusional.

It sure is.  you're doing surprising well at this, why are my 'all atheists am have faith too' senses tingling?
    Mod74 wrote:
    You've deluded yourself that there isn't a God waiting for you when you die (or whatever variant the religion chooses) just as much as the people who think there is have.

Really? last time I checked this isn't what I believe.  I do not have a positive belief that god is not there waiting for me when I die, I just don't have a rational reason to believe he is, or that I will somehow survive death.  All available evidence points to it being unlikely that I will survive death, and meet a god there.
    Mod74 wrote:
    The only logical outcome is that the question is unanswerable, to fall one side or the other is an equally large leap of faith. No side will ever produce an answer (though someone logical would have to accept that the "yes there is a God" camp might one day)

Oh good, you're back to understanding things and not making unsubstantiated claims about my beliefs again.  This can't last for long...
    Mod74 wrote:
    You're being delusional by believing in something that doesn't exist, i.e. proof that there isn't a God.

There it is!  I have never actually made the claim that god doesn't exist, just that I don't believe that a god or gods exist.  If you want to understand my actual position you are going to need to stop manufacturing a false one and attributing to me, otherwise it is you who is being delusional.  Twice in one post I might add.  Making things up and then choosing to believe that they are true is delusional, FYI.  I feel I have pointed this out before somewhere.

Also, your original statement is flawed, believing that something doesn't exist at all is not necessarily delusional, it is only delusional if you do not know that the something doesn't exist.  Irrational concepts and models cannot exist in reality.  For example, round squares don't exist and all knowing gods that make people with free will do no exist.
    Mod74 wrote:
    So, now we're done with the proof question, we're left with the day to day actions of followers which I think are of greater on the whole benefit to them personally and society generally. Certainly I'd rather grant people the freedom to get on with life and believe whatever the hell they want then mount an offensive attack based on nothing more than a guess.

Well, proof is a word I have avoided because it has philosophical implications that make it absurd to only base beliefs on proof.  Basing beleifs on evidence is a far more rational expectation.  People are free to believe what they like, but if their day to day actions are informed by delusional beliefs then I am concerned about their ability to make sound decisions, their ability to understand that rational beliefs are far more likely to be true than faithful ones, and that they get to vote on matters that effect the lives of other people.
  • Proof. Woof...

My eyes? I'm a vet BTW ; )
  • Ali wrote:
    Proof. Woof...

My eyes? I'm a vet BTW ; )

Good, I've got this terrible itch on my back left leg, I can't lift it properly and it causing all types of bother.
    I'm a dog BTW ;)

once we've sorted that out, its just the dyslexia. No dog ! Ha, I see one in the mirror every day !

• I'll get the blue juice. Just sit still, this won't hurt a bit......
  • djchump wrote:
    Well, that way lies solipsism - Schopenhauer argues that we only understand other minds, that other people have their own internal consciousness and life, through extrapolation from our own. If they have mind, arising from brains as nearly complex as human, then what's to say they don't have internal consciousness and some level of abstract concepts/thought?
    What's to say that they do?
    Doesn't seem that way to me - if animals can show altruism and empathy (with evidence, so that's not on faith), why could they not hold concepts that something is "good" or "bad"?
    There's no evidence that animals can show altruism or empathy, only that they can exhibit behaviour that seems to approximate to what we would call altruism or empathy. These are human concepts being applied to animal behaviour with no way of knowing its motivation. That doesn't have to mean such things are eternally unattainable.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Broadly, humans are born Social. So far as we align being social with being good, humans am gud.
    Humans are born with a variety of potentials, including some form of social instinct but also some very self-interested ones. Also, particular forms of social are aligned with being good and there's no agreement even within cultures as to what those forms are. Some might say a concept of 'free love' with no regard for family is as social as things get, while others would say that's the very way to destroy society. You either say that one of these is privileged in our birth state, or both of them are inherent potentials, but either way that means we are born both social and anti-social.

Generally, since good and bad are relative and contingent on the particular form of society, it is absurd to make any claim that people are born either good or bad. Is a person born in one country good in accordance with the local dominant idea of the good, while a person born in another country good in a different way in accordance with that country's dominant value system? Or is everyone born good in the same way, and then whose set of values are we using as the measure of the good and how did we decide those were the best ones? That way leads to some absolute idea of the good, ie a religion or similar metaphysical construct. Good and bad are things we become by making choices based on the particular social norms we learn and assimilate. They do not exist anywhere else.

In fact coming back to animals, the best way to demonstrate the existence of free choice based on concepts of good and bad would be to find examples of rule breaking within a particular community. If animals are capable of good behavour they must also be capable of bad behaviour, otherwise they are not being good, only following 'the way things are done', the expectations of their community. If there are accepted social norms then the only way to show that the animals accept them because they are 'good' is to show the that they also sometimes reject them because they are 'bad'.
  • What, you've never seen grumpy monkeys fighting? You haven't lived.
  • Ali wrote:
    I'll get the blue juice. Just sit still, this won't hurt a bit......

nah, no chance. Most animals learn through play. Is fight or flight instinctive or learned? And how can you prove it? Or am I being daft.
  • This thread goes off while I sleep!

re morality and "instincts" and "preprogramming."

@ali has clearly overplayed his hand. Saying "it's instinctual" doesn't do the legwork you want it to, ali. Jon's touched on a lot of it, as has gonz. From my layman's understanding, you can make an argument for some genetic predispositions, but to go from that to complex moral judgement like humans have requires a fair few steps inbetween. I'm am happy to agree that we are social and there are some behaviors that have their roots in our evolutionary history, but what you can't do is cherry pick specific behaviors now and just shout Instinct.

You also can't ignore the role of language (See gonz above). Basically, you can't ignore miriad factors. Just because I finished it a couple of weeks back, I'll mention Pinkers book again. He's got a cracking section on taboos and such. As I recall, you could point to some evolutionary evidence in how the feeling disgust has evolved, but there's been plenty of stuff happen since that feeling evolved that gets you all the way to societies saying "x sexual behavior (for example) is wrong."

re chump and Jon, I reckon the stuff about animal altruism is best put forward as evidence of our shared lineage. It does some explanitory work, it just doesn't do it all.

I dunno, all I know with "root of morality" discussions is don't overstate your case.

Wanna comment on Mod and Sg's stuff as well, don't know when I'll get time today.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    By the by, I listed to the In Our Time podcast earlier about Game Theory and how it influences human decision making, particularly things like alturism. Guy on there said the only way a decision is rational is if it benefits oneself.

Anyway, listen again here if you like

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01h75xp

or

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/iot/rss.xml

There's one dedicated to Altruism as well.
  • And my stuff? Flip sake. It took ages to write that nonsense.
  • At a base genetic level we are preprogrammed to breed. 
    Nothing more.
    Good and Evil are completely subjective, depending on the society you are in. 

As I said generaly, don't overstate. ;)

I always find Evil a problematic concept, or at least used way to freely.

• Especially the bit about atheists having belief in dogs chasing ducks according to Ali. Or something..
    Can I go. My brain is fool..
  • Gods a woman?!
  • That's the fun part, it can be wahtever you want!
  • Bedtime. Pick this up tomorrow. I've added everyone to my psn list as well.
    have fun
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Once again, I've not read the links but the altruism in animals thing I believed was still about passing genes forward. This doesn't necessarily mean producing offspring. That's the ideal, but your siblings genes are just as valuable, and by extension even your species genes

I remember why I got annoyed at the last thread, I couldn't shake the thought that "delusion" was being used as an insult or a quality statement. I'm gonna just get over that. My point earlier about Weinberg was in reference to war fighting not pub brawling. Hoping someone would realise the obvious example that not every combatant in WWII was religious, hell it was outlawed in many of the nations involved. Atrocities still occurred, they cannot be attributed to religion, to ideology, to societal pressure, to hate mongering propaganda, to the public dissemination and even implantation of ideals but not to religion. You could place religion as the driving factor behind the short lived German resistance movements, a futile force for good. See White Rose/Sophie Scholl
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!